Cold weather base layer

kbuck1

I'm not one of the "I just wear shorts and a T shirt all season in GA" guys, if it's below 40 degrees and I'm sitting in a stand holding a bow, I'm cold!! I've got some UA that I like ok but I bought some Cabelas Thermal Zone Standhunter top and bottoms a few years back and I love it, by far the warmest I have.
It's actually on sale now too.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/clo...ith-polartec-reg-regular/1396346.uts?slotId=4

I just ordered this top and it came today. Its more than what i was expecting. Do you wear it next to skin.

davidhelmly

Does it seem to wick moisture away from your skin?
No it’s a warmth layer, if you’re going to walk a lot and work up a sweat you may want to put a wicking layer underneath it or wait until you get to your stand to put it on. It is nice to be able to unzip the top of you start getting too warm.

7Mag Hunter

Base layer is light weight wicking Poly Pro.....
2nd and extreme cold 3rd layer is wool/wool blend as needed for
low temps...Woolrich bibbs..
Top layer is almost always real USMC wool sweater....
seldom wear coat unless extreme cold and windy...
Wool socks and rubber boots keep my feet warm....

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I was just watching a Randy Newberg Wyoming Elk hunt and it was 50mph, snowing, and 20 degrees. Hard to think it ever gets cold in GA.
Go up about 4,000 feet elevation in N Ga about the middle of January and then repeat that. I'm not that far from the Georgia line, and the weather you just described is normal for several months a year here.