Columbus GA

KuntrryBoy

I am going to be working in the Columbus area for the next few weeks. I really wanna fish down by the river walk. I have never caught a stripper or a Shoal Bass, so these would be my targets. I don't have a boat. Any tips would be much appreciated. I have my fly rod with me, two bait casters and a open face.

Ruger roo

I usually catch stripper with cut or live brim or shad. But you'll catch more cats than anything. Good spot but always crowded is below 13 street bridge on Alabama side right below whitewater

brunofishing

When the horn goes off move to the bank. The water will come up VERY VERY FAST. The stripes love the big swim baits, shoal bass aren't real thick in the down town part of the rapids yet, But they are there. Explore the Riverwalk north of the 13th street bridge, lot less pressure. There is also a **** up the river where they put in the white water rafts that is a great place for the stripe, and shoal bss. Be very carful, I wear a life jacket when I fish anywhere along this part of the river, it seems like they pull body's out of this stretch of river once a week! No one has ever died here with a life jacket on! Just saying!

KuntrryBoy

Thanks for the info guys, I seen a sign saying that you have to wear a life jacket. I have a few different swim baits. I wanna say two are 3.5in and a Biwaa S Trout 5.5in. Where is the rafts put in? Seems like with all the rocks a crank bait or big 13" worm would kill here.

brunofishing

Raft put in is up by Bibb D am. most of the water on that stretch is fairly shallow. I wouldn't rule out any baits, I just see on FB those guys that go down there 5 times a week throw a lot of swim baits for the stripes. I was down there a few weeks ago throwing a hard body suspending jerk bait, and cough two huge spots, just got to get down there and figure it out!