Columbus to Apalachicola Boat Run

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I just talked to the officials at the Lake Seminole dam, and the lock there is operational.

twtabb

Not sure if you just want to run that part of the river but putting in at Bainbridge would be just as good of a trip. River is marked well and scenery is excellent.
I would wait until we get some cooler nights if you plan on camping

wn123

Thanks everyone. The officials at Seminole said they are there Monday - Thursday during the day. They penciled me in to be expecting me in two weeks when we should be arriving. They asked me to confirm 48 hours in advance, so they know to be expecting us. He said we should not having any problem with water levels with the only Blountstown area getting a little shallow, but to try to stay in the channel. I would have much rather waited for cooler weather, but ya'll probably know how hard it is to get 4 adult's schedules to line up with work and families. So, the two of us are just going to have to sweat it out!

We are not necessarily tied to that ramp in Columbia, we just wanted to float as much as we could and also make it easier for my dad dropping us off. He will be dropping us off at the ramp and taking my truck home for the wives to drive down 4 days later. It's already a 2.5 hour drive to that ramp from our house, so it'd be a 5 hour roundtrip for him.

I spoke to the ranger in the area yesterday and he said that he did not have any issues putting at that ramp a week ago. So, I may call him sometime at the end of next week and see if he would mind running down there and checking it out before we head out.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Thanks everyone. The officials at Seminole said they are there Monday - Thursday during the day. They penciled me in to be expecting me in two weeks when we should be arriving. They asked me to confirm 48 hours in advance, so they know to be expecting us. He said we should not having any problem with water levels with the only Blountstown area getting a little shallow, but to try to stay in the channel. I would have much rather waited for cooler weather, but ya'll probably know how hard it is to get 4 adult's schedules to line up with work and families. So, the two of us are just going to have to sweat it out!

We are not necessarily tied to that ramp in Columbia, we just wanted to float as much as we could and also make it easier for my dad dropping us off. He will be dropping us off at the ramp and taking my truck home for the wives to drive down 4 days later. It's already a 2.5 hour drive to that ramp from our house, so it'd be a 5 hour roundtrip for him.

I spoke to the ranger in the area yesterday and he said that he did not have any issues putting at that ramp a week ago. So, I may call him sometime at the end of next week and see if he would mind running down there and checking it out before we head out.

Good luck and be safe. Ya`ll are gonna experience a place that is about as wild and secluded as anywhere you can find in the South. The Apalachicola River swamp and drainage is a trip back in time.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313

Good luck, hope Y'all have a wonderful time.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Looking forward to pics. Not of the banjo boys, of the trip......

Southernbreeze

I frequent Lake Eufaula and that area of the Hooch. The boat ramp below the locks is locally known as "Franklin's Landing". I have never seen the water get low enough there where the ramp was unuseable. It is a long, narrow ramp but you should have no troubles at all launching there. Take out at Highland Park on the Bama side and it's a 10 min drive to Franklin Landing. You will have a great trip. Keep an eye out for the Bald Eagles on Eufaula.

FOLES55

Dude!!

I’m jealous of this trip, sounds like a an adventure of a lifetime. Please keep us posted and safe travels.