Coming to an end

Lumpkin Hunter

Tomorrow is the last day of turkey season here in GA. Sometimes it makes me sad to see it go then other times I think now I might get some rest. Turkey hunting to me is sometimes the most aggravating thing I do then other times it is the most satisfying. I say this about deer too. I've been very fortunate to have two nice gobblers hit the dirt this year with my new 20 and TSS #9's. Thought I was going to limit out this morning on a hard gobbling bird but I set up where I knew better but did it anyway. Like I said aggravating. Going again in the morning to close it out. Each year that passes and turkey season that passes I thank God that I have the ability to enjoy his great creation. When I take that last walk out of the woods for this season I'll reflect on the hunts that passed both successful and not, the memories that were made of my hunts and listening to the stories from my buddies about their hunts. I'll also think of my mentor in turkey hunting that passed 16 years ago on opening day of the turkey season, my father in law. He and i had some great times turkey and deer hunting that I cherish the memory of.
For anyone going tomorrow I wish you good luck, for those that have tagged out savor the memories and for those that can't go I wish you could.
Take a moment to thank a Vet for fighting for out country, a teacher for the dedication it takes to help mold our children, a police officer, a EMT, a firefighter for their dedication to the community and THANK GOD for your strength, health, passion, family, friends, HIS mercy and love for each of us.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Good luck in the marnin!
I'm the same, I go through mini depression at the end of every turkey season. But in a way I need it to end I'm tired!!!!
I'll be out there for the last marnin tomorrow!!! I don't have enough tick and chigger bites yet I need to get a few more!!!

Big7

The Oracle
Pop one. I'd like to see some pics of a late season bird.
GOOD LUCK !!!

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
It's a sad, sad, day every year. Saturday was my last hunt. Setup perfectly 100 yards from one gobbling out of view. His buddy, who I heard soon as I got out of the truck, came 400 yards to get him out of tree. I guess an episode of Brokebeak Mountain broke out, because we never saw or heard from them again. At least my little granddaughter got to hear one gobble Friday. Funny thing is that bird was roosted right where I let her play with my turkey calls that afternoon before. Wish we could have got him. But, that's turkey hunting.

Good luck to the last day gang. Hope everyone had an enjoyable season.

Buckman18

I’ve had a great season, and thankful for the FUN I’ve had! I called in 11 gobblers to within shotgun range, and that’s not bad for Saturday work in the mountains. Only weekend #2 was void of some kind of action.

I saw a really big bear on my way to work yesterday on Unicoi Mountain, and all of a sudden I’m ready to put a rage in the cage. Until then, there are some specks just waiting to be caught and fried up in bacon grease.

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

I've been extremely blessed this season! I've left my house 6 times to go on a turkey hunt and have watched 6 birds die! I've killed my 3 and watched 3 others die. One was an absolute stud! 1 9/16" Spurs! Glad I was able to be a part of so many beaks getting crushed this year!

buckpasser

Those were some fine words Lumpkin hunter! I too thank God for such a marvelous invention that we can enjoy. He didn’t have to put the flash in their feather, the gobble in their breath, the strutting, the drumming or any of it, but I’m thankful he did.

As for reflecting, I got to turkey hunt with my son for the first time this year, and I was blessed with a 1.5 inch spurred Tom and an amazing melanistic 2 inch spurred Tom. I’m certain this is my “trophy” year, but I’m always just as thankful for two year olds. Good luck to those who hunt tomorrow and may we all make it to the turkey woods again next year!

sowgabuckstalker

Hate to see it go! I have had a tough season but have enjoyed and learned a lot. I’m on them this morning until about 9, not a peep so far which is shocking. Oh well just thankful to be here good luck to any giving it one last morning!

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Yea, thats a wrap for me. This was my 5 year and first time getting skunked, oh well. Good luck to all hunting today.
You didn't get skunked. I'm sure you had some adrenaline and excitement pushed through your veins. Never let your reward depend on a bird in hand. Everyone comes out empty handed eventually. Some seasons everything in the woods goes wrong. In the end, the chance to hunt, and be in the same woods as a wild turkey, is rewarding as it gets. Think back on all that occurred, and hone your skills for next year. You had a good season.

JP536

This has been a great season. I normally feel lost and sad for a few weeks after it ends. This year I think it’s a little different. I was able to kill two birds and have some very exciting hunts. Best of all I was able to take both of my girls, 11 and 9, and put them behind the gun. Neither one killed one but the excitement they got from going was enough. Then I was able to take my boy, 5, on his first turkey hunt ever. Man the excitement and look in his eyes I’ll never forget.
I think about the season and all I can do is smile and be overjoyed. I just thank the good lord for the opportunity to enjoy his creation and share all his glory with my children.

Mark K

Banned
It’s been a fun season for sure! Birds were plentiful and worked well. Gobbling was good as well. Most played the game like they should, some were a pain in the butt! Hens were somewhat more vocal than years past, but not really wanting to much interaction...could be the fact I didn’t use decoys this year. It seems I spent a lot of my time finding birds to put other people on. Some were successful and some just got to play the game.
I won’t know for certain until next year, but it seems trapping is having the desired effect on turkeys and their behavior. Think I said it before, but gobbling was better than the last 2 years combined. We’ll have to see what the hatch brings this year. We had an abnormal amount of jakes, which could have been some of the extra gobbling we heard this year as well. Some had their own hens and would run single gobblers off. Next year should be banner as well.
I don’t mind the season ending. I would say I need the sleep and will get a little on the weekends now. Still running traps before work so the 0430 rise and shine still applies. Weekends I can sleep in a little. I feel if I miss a sunrise I’m taking days off my life, lol. Besides I still like hearing them gobble even if I can’t pursue them.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I wont be sorry to see this one go!

Its not so much that I haven't killed a bird. I could have shot a couple of jakes twice. Its the fact that I haven't had the opportunity to really work / match my wits and skill with one.

Ive had two main obstacles this season.

Down south the birds have been hanging out next door. On all three of the property's I normally hunt. One was clear cut last fall. I can hear the birds over there. Never made it to my side while I was there.

At home:
I heard exactly one gobble. About two property's over. All the normal places ive found birds the last few years, no sign, no gobbles. We did have rain 2-3 weekends two.

sowgabuckstalker

You didn't get skunked. I'm sure you had some adrenaline and excitement pushed through your veins. Never let your reward depend on a bird in hand. Everyone comes out empty handed eventually. Some seasons everything in the woods goes wrong. In the end, the chance to hunt, and be in the same woods as a wild turkey, is rewarding as it gets. Think back on all that occurred, and hone your skills for next year. You had a good season.

You are right about that my friend! And the best part, Is I know they're a BUNCH of 2 year old birds that got to see will be fun to chase next year!

sea trout

Great season as always! VERY sad now to see it go. Glad I had the day off to hunt this mornin. Had a great last hunt this morn, 3 gobblers came in all the way across a big cow farm! The 2 jakes were in the lead and came in to 50ish yards. The tom lagged 10 ta 15 yards behind because he kept stopping to strut. Coulda took a shot at a jake but I waited for the longbeard, when the jakes got antsy and left the tom followed never having came into range.
I'm happy with my 2 Ga birds and another from Tenn! I'm VERY excited for how many jakes there are this year. Most I've ever seen in my life in Banks, Habersham, Wilkes and Elbert counties. Next year should be loud and action packed! I hope the hens have a great hatch this year!!
Congrats y'all and have a great summer!!!

Lumpkin Hunter

Finished the season out today with no gobbles, did have a buck walk by at about 15 yards at first light when I got into the creek bottom. He had nubs about 3 inches long and thick, should be a good one, big body too. Hunted until 4pm without hearing a single bird but it was a great day to be in the woods. Had a good talk with the Lord about things in the past and present, that's always a great thing to do. Brought up memories of past hunts with friends and family through the years that are cherished. Great season with 2 good birds one had 3 beards. Can't complain when I get to spend time in the woods.
Time to break out the new Kayak, my first one. Come on deer season.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
My GA season ended in an anticlimatic fashion..woke up at 3a with the cough and cold sypmtoms the wife has had for almost 2 weeks. Passed on the 2 hr ride and 1 hr walk...been an awesome season none the less! Fishn time.

sea trout

it was a great day to be in the woods. Had a good talk with the Lord about things in the past and present, that's always a great thing to do. Brought up memories of past hunts with friends and family through the years that are cherished. Great season with 2 good birds one had 3 beards. Can't complain when I get to spend time in the woods..

WOW!! That's spot on and well said man!!! Congrats!!!!