Comparing 1911s

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Jester just make sure the para is Canadian built, I have never had an issue with them! The USA ones and the Remmy ones not so good.

John Cooper

Put them in the classifieds ...... I stocked up back in the 80's. :banana:

John Cooper

Back in the 80's the gun store I worked at, we used to buy the para lowers and build race and bowling pin guns with them. Then Para started building complete guns. I have been a fan for a long time.

Reactions: Dub

pacecars

I have owned 1911s by Colt, Sig, S&W, Dan Wesson, RIA, Kimber and Springfield Armory. The RIA is the only one that I had major issues with. For the most part you do get what you pay for with 1911s. If it is a range toy or plinker then it doesn't really matter if it is not 100 percent reliable. If you are going to bet your life on it then you might want to spend 'til it hurts.

Balrog

I have owned 1911s by Colt, Sig, S&W, Dan Wesson, RIA, Kimber and Springfield Armory. The RIA is the only one that I had major issues with. For the most part you do get what you pay for with 1911s. If it is a range toy or plinker then it doesn't really matter if it is not 100 percent reliable. If you are going to bet your life on it then you might want to spend 'til it hurts.

I generally would agree with that. I was bitten by the custom bug about 15 or 20 years ago. I have owned several Wilson Combat guns. These guns have all been 100% reliable, but in all honesty I can say that about my Colts and Springfields. I have also owned a S&W 1911 that was 100% reliable. I have owned a few Kimbers over the years that were not 100% reliable, and Kimber could not get them to be 100% reliable. I did not have good experience with Kimber customer service and would not own another Kimber because of my bad experience.

Now, is a $2500-3000 Wilson Combat worth the price compared to a $1000 (or less) Colt or Springfield? I would say the law of diminishing returns applies to Wilson Combat. Yes, the fit and finish of a Wilson is superior to a Colt or Springfield. The reliability is essentially the same. The Wilsons are more accurate, but does an inch tighter group at 25 yards matter to you? Would it matter in a practical situation? I am not sure, but would say probably not.

I love my Wilsons, but they are a lot more money than Colt and Springfield for a marginally improved product. Maybe if I was a better shot the improved accuracy of Wilson would make more difference.

One last thing I would mention is resale value. As a percent of purchase price, Colt or Springfield are both better than Wilson at time of resale. A Wilson will lose about 40% of its retail value the first time you pull the trigger. The Colts and Springfields will only lose about 10-20%. If you hold on to a Colt long enough, it will be worth more than you paid for it. Folks do love the prancing pony.

pacecars

It does reach a point (in 1911s and optics) where you start to spend big bucks for small improvements that you may not notice or be able to take advantage of. If you want a good gun to resell later the DWs hold their value well. I have always thought the Springfield had the best bang for the buck with the features you get. I was just in the market for a new lightweight commander in .45 ACP and after looking at all the different models that fit my criteria I ordered the DW ECP with a 4 inch barrel. I have always had good luck with DWs and love the Bobtail frame. I think the DWs are a perfect compromise between the regular factory 1911s and the semi custom ones.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Don't cross this one off your list from BUDS. It is a great pistol.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 11.21.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 11.21.36 AM.png
    302.5 KB · Views: 43

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
How much more accurate is the Wilson than my full size American Classic II at 25 yds? Look how close the tolerances are.

This is how mine shoots right out of the box with my reloads and only cost $429.

Attachments

• 25 yd. target .jpg
    25 yd. target .jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 19
  • MY ACII 1 .JPG
    MY ACII 1 .JPG
    273.7 KB · Views: 20
  • American Classic II .jpg
    American Classic II .jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Gator89

I had Kimber commander, shot fine, hated the paperclip takedown system. Sent the Kimber down the road, replaced it with an STI Trojan 9.

pacecars

I don’t think anyone’s feelings will be hurt. It is your money so buy what you want. If you are happy with your purchase that is great. I am just saying your odds of having problems is higher with certain brands. It’s like buying a cheap blister pack scope from Walmart and then trying to convince everyone it is as good as a Swarovski Scope. That might be an extreme example but you get the picture. I have tried the cheap guns and not been happy. YMMV but either way keep shooting

rosewood

I am a double stack fan and currently have 3 Para-ordnances. My first was a stainless P14-45 that has always functioned flawlessly. Then found a deal on a used P14-45 blue with alloy frame which was a joy to carry. Traded it in on a P16-40 with the intent to convert to 10mm. Got home and the first round wouldn't even chamber. Gun was used, looked brand new. The feed ramp had tool marks on it. I polished it and it ran flawlessly after that. Ordered a 10mm barrel and have been carrying it in the woods for 15 years or so. Always works. Picked up a used p12-45 with alloy frame at a gun show, had an aftermarket buffer guide rod in it & PT night sights. It would stove pipe sometimes. Installed a new recoil spring and new magazine spring and it has functioned flawlessly since.

4 problems I have seen that cause 1911s to not work properly. Weak recoil spring, weak magazine spring, rough feed ramp/throat and limp wristing. All are easy fixes.

Rosewood

Hillbilly stalker

When I was stationed in Germany, I was issued a Remington 1911, in Kansas a Ithaca 1911. I never had a hiccup from either one. Of coarse we didn’t get to shoot as much as in the civilian world. They both would rattle like a mossberg shotgun when you shook them, but totally reliable and no problem qualifying at 50 yards.

snuffy

Thanks to you guys a Springfield RO Compact 9mm is in my near future.

I do have a Kimber Pro Carry that has been very reliable. Don't shoot it much anymore though. Might have to change that this year.

snuffy

She is on the way. Should be here tomorrow.
Springfield RO Compact 9mm

Ordered from Gallery of Guns. First time using them. Pleased so far.
Best price was Grove Pawn LLC. one mile from my house.

Jester896

Senior Clown
She is on the way. Should be here tomorrow.
Springfield RO Compact 9mm

Ordered from Gallery of Guns. First time using them. Pleased so far.
Best price was Grove Pawn LLC. one mile from my house.

I sure enjoy my full size Springfield.

Am I reading correctly...you found the best price at a LGS but ordered it on line?