Computer help with Garmin GPS?

1776Flintlock

I am trying to install some GPS software off the disk supplied but it can not find my "C" drive.

I click on "start" and "explore" and I find

MY COMPUTER
3 1/2 Floppy (A)
The GPS CD in (D)
DVD-RW Drive (E)
BackUp Drive (F)
Main Drive (I)

I have an external Hard drive F with 316GB free on 465 GB and Main Drive I with 55GB Free on 149GB

I got this answer from Garmin but I can't make it work. Perhaps I am using a period at the end of my computer name or some other step I am missing?

I got this instruction from Garmin but I still may not be getting the steps correctly:

You can try this. It uses a Windows command called Net Use. It allows you to map a virtual drive to a specific folder on a computer.

How to use it:

Create a new folder and give it a name. For example Monkeys
Get the name of your computer. Right click on My Computer/Computer, select Properties, select the Computer Name tab.
Open a command prompt by going to the Start menu, selecting Run then entering cmd. For Vista, just type cmd.
Type net use desired_drive_letter: \\computername\drive_the_folder_is_on$\folder_name

Example

net use C: \\OCC20148\C$\monkeys created a C drive on my computer using the Monkeys folder I created.

Run the Trip and waypoint manager disk again.

My silly questions include:

Where should I create the "Garmin" folder?

I have a computer name. something with numbers and codes so I tried to cut, copy and paste the name after the black box opened

I found my "Garmin" folder which has this address:

I:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Garmin

So, I go to CMD, the little black box opens and shows:

I\Documents and Setting\Administrator

So I tried this:

I\Documents and Settings \ Administrator \ C:\\My Computers name\ OCC20148\C$\Garmin

Then I hit the 'enter' key

Then I put in the Garmin CD and when I run it, I get the same problem.

SO, what step did I miss in this process?

If you can I need really K.S.S.S.++ instructions! Thanks!!!

If there is anyway to show screen shots I can follow that would help too.

Thanks a lot!

RUTTNBUCK

Gone But Not Forgotten
Man you got me!!:O:huh:

DCHunter

1. Create a folder directly on your I drive named "garmin"
2. then go to command prompt and type .... net use c:\\your computers name\i$\garmin

1776Flintlock

1. Create a folder directly on your I drive named "garmin"
2. then go to command prompt and type .... net use c:\\your computers name\i$\garmin

I tried that on some PC help forums. They had a lot of deatil but it still will not work. :(

DCHunter

So, I go to CMD, the little black box opens and shows:

I\Documents and Setting\Administrator

Let me ask you to make sure of something. If this don't work then I have no idea either. When you say the command prompt says what's quoted above, I'm thinking maybe the command prompt should be showing "I:\" instead. In order to get it there..type cd\ at the command prompt and THEN type the stuff I told you. It's worth a try. Let me know if that works or not.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I am curious because I don't know a lot about these GPS devices. I have a friend that bought a Garmin Model 255 recently and said that he did not have to download or update anything. He told me that he plugged it in his car and they drove to Cincinnati last week and had no problems at all with any of the directions along the way. He was well pleased with the results. Can anyone tell me if you have to download, upload, bottom load, top load, sideways load, or update anything in order to have full use of these type units?

Skipper

Banned
I am curious because I don't know a lot about these GPS devices. I have a friend that bought a Garmin Model 255 recently and said that he did not have to download or update anything. He told me that he plugged it in his car and they drove to Cincinnati last week and had no problems at all with any of the directions along the way. He was well pleased with the results. Can anyone tell me if you have to download, upload, bottom load, top load, sideways load, or update anything in order to have full use of these type units?

Most of them come with street maps installed. You can add other maps to many of them such as topo maps, lake maps, etc.

Garmin's software is pretty contrary. I think what you are going to have to do is partition your I drive and label the new partition C: and install Mapsource on the partition.

When it asks you where to install is I'm sure it pulls a default directory on the C drive, but does it not ask if you want to change the directory? I would think you might be able to change it at that stage, but if the installer won't accept a manual directory entry, then you are going to have to have a C drive.

Skipper

merc123

I'd go with the above statement. The software should allow you to choose where you wish to install it.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Skipper, thanks for the education. I was only thinking about the street maps and not any other types but I can now see what you mean.

Harlee

Does your GPS have a usb cable? If so, simply plug in the GPS and install the software directly to it.