Conflicted

bulldawgborn

It's been awhile since I've been able to get on the forum. The look has changed but I'm glad to see the people haven't. Mods, I used the insert link button to try to imbed links to 2 trailcam videos. Hopefully this works.

There's been a few things happening or showing up on my property that I think alot of folks would definitely not be happy to see. I can't say I'm thrilled about seeing some of it either, but I do feel highly blessed to have such a diverse piece of land that still has some "wild" aspects to it. It's just a small parcel, but I'm always amazed at some of the wild things I see or hear happen there.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CuQdWRCneAPIA3AEfOHIteXfqQwdDeoe

In the last few years it has become common to hear coyotes that seemingly pack up at night. Sometimes it sounds like 20 or 30, but I tell myself that each one probably sounds like 2 or 3 different ones. Just this weekend we were moving some implements to a different spot on the property when my dad's lab comes running out of some young pines with a fawn leg. It looked like we had just handed it to her while cleaning a deer...that fresh. I assume the yotes probably got it the night before. While I would most likely shoot one if I saw it, I understand they have to eat and don't particularly mind them being themselves. Just wish they would stick to cotton rats and roadkill and the sort. I also make sure to temper my trigger finger on the does since I know I can't get rid of all the fawn predators on my place. The link above is one of the more mature bucks I have seen on camera this year getting annoyed by a young yote. Buck was back about 5 minutes later. My cousin has told me he's seen coyotes chasing deer on the property too. To me it's one of those things you can't do much about, but I think I will probably breakout the legholds this trapping season.

Now this video in the link below is the one that bothers me the most...hopefully this guy is just passing through. He will definitely be shot on sight.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QgOhYmn5w2DDrD2Or9VTujwQiYJ2Wxyp

Woodsman28

We didn't have a hog on our farm until around 2003. We use to plant spring food plots; corn and soybeans and our winter wheat and oat heads would last through mid-August supplying a lot of tonnage for the deer. Once the hogs showed up, it became obsolete to plant in spring due to rooting. Hogs have inalterably changed our deer woods and the way we like to hunt. We kill around 100 per year, but to keep the population at par you have to kill 70-80% of the total herd, which is almost impossible. Bad issue.

We don’t have any hogs on our place but very few coyotes it’s strange you only see about one a year and only get one or two on camera

grady white

We didn't have a hog on our farm until around 2003. We use to plant spring food plots; corn and soybeans and our winter wheat and oat heads would last through mid-August supplying a lot of tonnage for the deer. Once the hogs showed up, it became obsolete to plant in spring due to rooting. Hogs have inalterably changed our deer woods and the way we like to hunt. We kill around 100 per year, but to keep the population at par you have to kill 70-80% of the total herd, which is almost impossible. Bad issue.[/QUOTE
The hog population has exploded in Georgia and they make it tough on native wildlife...we have some help coming soon in the form of nitrate but it will be up to the landowners to utilize it. With the USDA shooting them out of choppers once a year and traps being utilized and it has helped in those areas ...hopefully the nitrate in addition will help wipe them out or at least get the population way down , the farmers needed it yesterday! I have heard the nitrate testing in Texas and Alabama looks very promising.