Confused about the Upper Etowah River and where it becomes Lake Allatoona

Richf7

Various reports refer to white bass runs in parts of the Etowah River. When I locate some of these areas on a map they are actually on Lake Allatoona. Am I missing something or is it just all in a name?

ShoalBandit

It depends on who you ask and where an impoundment begins actually changes with the lake level so it's kind of a gray area. The section above Allatoona is generally referred to as the 'Upper Etowah' and the river below Allatoona down to Rome is usually just 'the Etowah'. There's a population of White Bass in Lake Weiss that migrates up the Coosa/Etowah around Rome and the Allatoona population. Also with migratory fish, reports often name the tributary if a lake has more than one.

Richf7

Thanks for the info. I’m familiar with Rope Mill and was looking for a similar spot that can be fished from the bank...probably should have specified smaller water than Allatoona per se.

Fletch_W

Banned
Downtown Canton has several options that meet your criteria. Google Maps is your friend.

little rascal

If you divide in half, upper is Allatoona dam upstream to the Mountains. Lower is Below the lowhead dam below Allatoona to Rome.

little rascal

If you divide into 1/3’s, Upper is Boling Park up to the Mountains. Middle is Boling to Knox Bridge to mouth of Toona. Lower is below Toona dam.

RamblinWreck

If you divide into 1/3’s, Upper is Boling Park up to the Mountains. Middle is Boling to Knox Bridge to mouth of Toona. Lower is below Toona dam.

Where does the upper Nunya river begin?