Controlled Burn

Longhorn 16

Going to burn 175 acres of our property next week. Excited because this is the beginning of transforming the property. Future fields, food plots and orchards.

Any one who tackled this before I would appreciate any advice or guidance.

Oh yeah. The areas to replant pines will occur December or January.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
A member here, crackerdave, used to do that sort of thing.

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
Burning this time of year is not necessarily the best time to do it. But, burning is a great way to clear out Some of the unwanted vegetation and young sapling's.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
A water filled 12v sprayer on a 4 wheeler will help you if the fire jumps the firebreak. Also have a shovel and hoe ready...just in case.

rstallings1979

I personally would wait until at least late November/December to burn. Lower temps and lower humidity. If your burning brush you would get a better burn in those conditions in my opinion. The humidity is still crazy high right now. I am not an expert of course. I am getting ready to replant on our place in some areas and assuming I can get permits and we do not have a dry fall I plan to burn the middle of December. I have learned ideal burning conditions are temps under 70 and humidity less than 50 to 55%. There are many posts on here about the subject. QDMA website also has some control burn/burn articles as well that are informative.

fountain

Lay us out a picture of what you are burning. Right now isnt the time to burn much of anything other than maybe a sore prep burn, but even that's early now unless it was sprayed 8 weeks ago.

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
I'm planting 20k pines this winter. But i'm not burning until it's colder with lower humidity.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
On another note.If you burn next week and dont plant something to hold the slopes,washes,drainage ares.you will get erosion of topsoil intil you can stop/slow the water when the rains come.
Is this a clear cut ?
When was it clearcut?

Longhorn 16

Lay us out a picture of what you are burning. Right now isnt the time to burn much of anything other than maybe a sore prep burn, but even that's early now unless it was sprayed 8 weeks ago.

It was sprayed 13 weeks ago. It is a two year old clearcut.

fountain

Ok. Good deal. What I would do, is possibly look at going ahead and cutting out your plots and you can burn them now and do all the prep work necessary. That will be perfect.

For planting trees, you are correct. Wait until November or so. Right before planting would be great. Get your fire breaks done just before the burn. If you do them now or too far in advance, then they breaks will fill up with the falling leaves later on and be essentially useless. For the areas that you plan to plant your hardwood/fruit trees, I would wait on the burn

On a side note, were the areas that you plan to put your hardwood/fruit trees sprayed with the same chemicals used for the site prep for the pines?? If you know what chemicals were used, would you mind sharing.

Longhorn 16

Ok. Good deal. What I would do, is possibly look at going ahead and cutting out your plots and you can burn them now and do all the prep work necessary. That will be perfect.

For planting trees, you are correct. Wait until November or so. Right before planting would be great. Get your fire breaks done just before the burn. If you do them now or too far in advance, then they breaks will fill up with the falling leaves later on and be essentially useless. For the areas that you plan to plant your hardwood/fruit trees, I would wait on the burn

On a side note, were the areas that you plan to put your hardwood/fruit trees sprayed with the same chemicals used for the site prep for the pines?? If you know what chemicals were used, would you mind sharing.

I am not sure of the chemicals off the top of my head but I do have the records. No plans for the hardwoods until the soil can be amended. Pines will be planted at the end of the year. 50 acres or so will be transformed into pasture and when the soil reports say so, the hardwoods will be planted.

Longhorn 16

Thanks for the info. I should have clarified earlier I am working with the forestry commission. I feel that I am in good hands however I always like to have second opinions and as much knowledge as I can have when I enter into a new venture.

fountain

Do your fire breaks closer to the burn. Do not do them early. Trust me here. They will have time to grass up a little and fill up with leaves and needles if you dont burn until November or December.

The reason I asked on the chemicals is because some chemicals like chopper isnt good for planting hardwoods behind. I had my place sprayed friday and didnt get to spray my hardwood plot due to residual left in the helicopter tank. He was scared it may be enough to affect the start up of a new hardwood plant.

Keep in contact with your planting guy and do your site prep burn accordingly and also stay up with your gfc guys as they will start to get busy and backed up starting about now. Got ahead and have them put you on the calendar for a specific date one you talk to your planting guy. Planting will also be moisture dependent, but it's a safe bet to plan to burn that clear cut starting as late as October. Several ways to skin this cat

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
Contact Ga Forestry. They can advise on best practices. Generally controlled burns happen in December -March.

SWAMPFOX

I always burn between the last day of deer season and the last day of February. But that's just for wildlife management, not site prep or tree planting. I also try to time it shortly after a cold front that has moisture followed by a steady northwest wind. I plow my breaks a day or two prior to burning so they are totally bare soil with no leaves or pine needles to carry fire across the break. The local Georgia Forestry folks can also provide hand tools that are really convenient.

If you have the time, the Georgia Forestry folks used to provide a 3 day Prescribed Fire Certification course at Darton College near Albany. Don't know if they still do but I took it and it was very good. I learned a lot. One important point is to get a permit from the Ga. Forestry Commission and also notify your surrounding neighbors ahead of time of when you'll be burning.