Cool season brassica food plots

nrh0011

Me and a buddy of mine have a wheat/oat plot planted this year that has been getting hammered. Obviously not a enough biomass there for the deer population. That being said, what brassicas have you had luck with generating alot of above ground vegetative material that the deer really hit hard?? I'd like to plant a variety of things on this spot. I was thinking a mixture of radishes and turnips, with maybe some white clover underneath??

Thanks in advance,

NRH

SRShunter

Look at radishes and turnips a few posts down. The guy has a picture on there that's amazing with all the growth from those brassicas

shdw633

If they are hitting your wheat/oat plot that hard they will most likely destroy radishes and turnips. You will probably need a mix of all different types of plants in order to maintain a good plot. Add a cereal rye to your mix.

JHannah92

I planted turnips for the first time this year. They absolutely obliterated them soon as it got cold. The plot was eaten down to the dirt until the last warm snap we had when my grains started shooting back up some. I'll plant turnips again next year and maybe add some radish.

nrh0011

What brand seed do you guys like for the turnips and radishes? I have a bag of daikons I was going to use from work, but I'd like to try some others too.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
That is kind of the best part of that type of foodplot!! I have gone in and taken some greens home to momma....when the deer let me that is!!
I usually have to get mine before the first frost.

Triple C

nrh0011...This is a purely anecdotal response to your question because I've never looked at a chart that shows the tonnage of an acre of brassica to an acre of grain over the growing season but in my experience, the grains outlast the brassicas. I've planted brassicas for a number of years along with grains (wheat, oats, rye). Any warm days and the grains are growing throughout the winter. By late December, my brassicas are toast and nibbled down to the ground. Grain plots look like golf course fairway right now cause the deer keep em lip high but they are in them every day. Clover is continuing to feed em as well.

nrh0011

Makes sense, whatever I do it will be in a mixture with small grains and/or clover. I have some leftover rye and triticale seed from this year I'd like to try.