Cooler

WayneB

My guess would be that you are starting with a hot cooler, hot drinks and such and not letting it get cold saturated before you add stuff. Just a guess, I don't know how ya'll do it. I generally never let mine warm up, or drop a bag of ice and a couple gallons of water for an hour or two before really loading it up. This method works even for cheaper coolers to some extent. Other than the initial cooldown, I don't drain until I need to refill with ice either. YMMV

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think part of the problem is unrealistic expectations. There is not a cooler on earth that will keep 10 lbs of ice in it for a week under normal use and summer temps. And from my experience, the roto-molded coolers just don't hold ice much longer than a Coleman extreme or a styrofoam cooler, even though some believe the marketing and expect them to. The thing that will do what some expect is called an electrical chest freezer, and you can buy one cheaper than you can buy a Yeti. The advantage of the expensive coolers is that they are tough, not that they hold ice that much longer.

I can take my roto-molded cooler, prechill it, and fill it slap full of ice, leave it closed, and there will still be ice in it a week later in most cases. The same is true of my Coleman extremes.

I can take my warm 65-quart roto-molded cooler, put ten pounds of ice and a twelve pack of beer in it, open it several times a day and get beers out, and I'll be very lucky to still have ice three days later. I don't care if I paid a thousand dollars for it, and it says YETI on every square inch of it. What many people expect defies the laws of physics.

Oldstick

Most of the yeti style coolers are way too heavy for me to want to fool with vs the capacity. Most times it's just me and the wife on a weekend camp out and I'm 61 plus not built the size of a line backer.

Reactions: Dub

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Most of the yeti style coolers are way too heavy for me to want to fool with vs the capacity. Most times it's just me and the wife on a weekend camp out and I'm 61 plus not built the size of a line backer.
They are heavy.

SC Hunter

I've got a 45 quart yeti we use for travel ball and a 25 yeti that stays in the truck all the time usually with beer, bottled water and ice in it. I didnt pay full price for either. I gave 150 for the big one and 100 for the small one. My brother has a 50 quart pelican and a yeti roadie and keeps beer, water and ice in his big one in his 4runner. The average person doesn't NEED a yeti, pelican, artic or anything else like the ones mentioned. But it's really nice after filling a cooler up with ice and beer and water on Friday to still have ice Sunday. It's a free country to buy what you want. I keep my cooler in the truck locked in with a cable lock.

Reactions: Dub
I have a pelican, my daughter has a yeti, I have a small modern Coleman. All work great and do what they are supposed to do. I work with a guy that has an ozark trail and unless you just got to have a yeti I would buy an ozark trail.

paulito

I got the add on wheels for my cabelas cooler and absolutely love them as the cooler is quite heavy. It will take a beating though. With it and my coleman extreme I don't anticipate having to buy another cooler......ever.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
I really like my igloo because I can wheel it around on the beach or down a trail to a camp spot. Lots of gadgets like dry phone storage, bottle openers, inside basket rack, butler tray, fishing rod holders, tethered drain plug, but what I was really after was the wheels and they are beefy. Igloo usually has decent coupon codes so you can order directly from their site.

https://www.igloocoolers.com/pages/trailmate

00034298_4_530x@2x.jpg

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
I also have an RTIC backpack cooler that complements this one nicely and could fit 4 deer quarters if I ever shoot a deer way back in the woods where this cooler can't go. I tote that one when I don't need the capacity of the big igloo. I have a beater coleman extreme for everything else but it's 4 years old and the handles already have been replaced by ropes, the drain plug broke, and the outside is starting to crack. Got the RTIC for $90 during one of their big sales.

https://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/coolers/back-pack/Back-Pack-Cooler-Camo

I owned two ozark trail backpack coolers and the zipper broke on both. Yes, they were only 40 bucks but I got tired of the cooler failing while I needed to use it. Hopefully the RTIC lasts longer, at least it came with some zipper lubricant.

Last edited:

whchunter

I also have an RTIC backpack cooler that complements this one nicely and could fit 4 deer quarters if I ever shoot a deer way back in the woods where this cooler can't go. I tote that one when I don't need the capacity of the big igloo. I have a beater coleman extreme for everything else but it's 4 years old and the handles already have been replaced by ropes, the drain plug broke, and the outside is starting to crack. Got the RTIC for $90 during one of their big sales.

I owned two ozark trail backpack coolers and the zipper broke on both. Yes, they were only 40 bucks but I got tired of the cooler failing while I needed to use it. Hopefully the RTIC lasts longer, at least it came with some zipper lubricant.
I'd die of thirst before I got the zipper open. And no way you can turn around in your chair and open it with one hand. Imo it's a stupid design.

SC Hunter

I had an Ozark Trail soft cooler that we used for a little while with travel ball. We play ball every weekend to every other weekend between all star and travel ball. That Ozark Trail gave up the ghost in an Atlanta tournament last summer, as soon as I got home I threw it in the burn pile. That zipper is worthless.

Horns

I have a 50 quart Magellan from Academy and an Orca made like a Yeti Roadie. Both work well

Havana Dude

Hot case of beer, in a non cooled down yeti, large bag of ice,over 2 days ago, beer floating in icy water, ........well, some of them are. Take it for what it’s worth. It’s a cooler, and I don’t really care what the name of it is.

Hillbilly stalker

Hot case of beer, in a non cooled down yeti, large bag of ice,over 2 days ago, beer floating in icy water, ........well, some of them are. Take it for what it’s worth. It’s a cooler, and I don’t really care what the name of it is.
Forget the ice......how do you make a case of beer last to ,too , two 2 whole days ? :rofl:

transfixer

I just picked up an Igloo IMX 70 cooler, was trying to decide between it and Magellan, Igloo had the better reviews, it isn't roto molded, but looks like it, injection molded it says, basically same thickness and weight as the roto molded ones, but roughly half the price, it appears to be a well built heavy duty cooler, I'll see how it holds up.

Havana Dude

My BIL gave me a yeti coozy for my Bday one year. Took all I could do to not laugh. Never have I ever let a cold beer get warm, even without a coozy. It mostly collects dust.

Dub

My BIL gave me a yeti coozy for my Bday one year. Took all I could do to not laugh. Never have I ever let a cold beer get warm, even without a coozy. It mostly collects dust.

That was my first thought when I saw 'em in Academy. Just didn't see the point....

My best of the similar type gear thus far has been the RTIC 40oz cups. I'll fill that sucker up with ice, top it off with water and drink i ton my commute to work. I'll leave it in my truck while I'm working and there will be ice water in it when I'm done for the day.