Coon Hunters question

ucfireman

I have a ton of coons on my place. It is small 38 ac and the creek runs right through the middle. maybe 1200 feet or so and 600 feet of land on both sides of the creek. I don't know if my neighbors would like to have dogs run through their place (can ask) but, is this enough land to run a dog or 2 and thin the coon herd?

Dbender

Nope. Not without causing you problems with the neighbors. I'd second the traps, you'll thin them out quick.

chris41081

Not to highjack, but what do you guys do with the coons? I have a pile of them on my property I'd like to eliminate but I don't kill and waste things. I have no use for them and no where to try and fur them out myself.

Bullochcountyhunter

I struggle every year with coons. Have trapped the last 3 years. Caught 11 last year, and no telling how many the first two years. Run 4 dp traps the entire season. I have a list of people that want one when I catch one.

Hillbilly stalker

I eat several a year as long as the dogs ain’t chewed them up. I have several older black people at work I give coon squirrel and fish too. I always clean them first. A lot of older people grew up eating them, majority of people nowadays too good to eat them.

NCMTNHunter

Very few will have dogs that you can hunt places that small with but they are out there if you just happen to know one. A lot folks can't catch there dogs up until they tree or get run down enough to be caught.

ucfireman

I was thinking I could put them in the middle and they should be able to get on 1 fairly easy and run 3-400 feet ether way. I have a bunch I would like gone. just don't want to waste the animal.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Fireman I agree with u 100% on not wanting to waste any animal , but sometimes when they get over populated we have to do what we got to do , I use a couple live traps around my feeders and can knock out several in a short time !

delacroix

BANNED
Cur and feist do better on smaller tracts because they pop them up hot rather than cold trailing a long way. Trouble with the cur I have now is he doesn't give them time to get up a tree half the time.

Coon is alright to eat if cleaned and cooked appropriately, just nothing special.

Dog proof trap is the way to go for efficiency but it's not half as fun.

Blackston

Cur and feist do better on smaller tracts because they pop them up hot rather than cold trailing a long way. Trouble with the cur I have now is he doesn't give them time to get up a tree half the time.

Coon is alright to eat if cleaned and cooked appropriately, just nothing special.

Dog proof trap is the way to go for efficiency but it's not half as fun.
I had a thought what about a cur and cell camera wait till ya know they are at the feeder send the dog in

Blackston

But D P trap would be much cheaper just not as much fun

Blackston

That's pretty high tech there. I just put out feeder buckets and make the rounds.
Yea I get really bored until deer season. Forgive me ?

Blackston

When I was part of a not so reputable “Hog Hunting “ operation The pups that we would use usually turned into top notch dogs. I felt like any time the box opened they knew a hog had to be there and they wouldn’t stop till they found him

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I was thinking I could put them in the middle and they should be able to get on 1 fairly easy and run 3-400 feet ether way. I have a bunch I would like gone. just don't want to waste the animal.
Not legal to relocate them
Spreads disease
Get a trapping license and catch them during season

specialk

i would never turn loose on that little of land......or next to anybody that didn't want me there......asking for trouble.....

ucfireman

Not legal to relocate them
Spreads disease
Get a trapping license and catch them during season

I was talking about the dogs. I figure it would be a short chase.

I would ask neighbors permission before doing it, just in case, but thought they should be able to have a short run and stay on my place.