Coopers Creek and Rock Creek fishing trip

JonathanG2013

My father and I woke up early to do a little fishing in north Georgia.

We arrived at coopers creek. The water was a little warm.
Great scenary though.
Did not get any trout but caught this guy there.
Decided to try Rock Creek and caught a shad I think. We had to leave earlier than we would like. My father in law got hurt trip on a root going down a trail. We did not get any trout but had a good time.

Attachments

• shadrps20180908_165723.jpg
    shadrps20180908_165723.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Coopers Creekrps20180908_165438.jpg
    Coopers Creekrps20180908_165438.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 63
  • small fishrps20180908_165559.jpg
    small fishrps20180908_165559.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 59

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's a creek chub. They like flies. Good way to spend a day, even if the trout aren't hitting!

JonathanG2013

When we to Coopers Creek the water had a smell to it. Is this normal? Also did not see any trout and the water was pretty warm. Wonder if Rabun County would have temps below 65 in streams?

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
When we to Coopers Creek the water had a smell to it. Is this normal? Also did not see any trout and the water was pretty warm. Wonder if Rabun County would have temps below 65 in streams?
What kind of smell?

transfixer

I haven't been to Coopers in the last couple of years, but I know exactly where that picture was taken, downstream from that pic a few yards is long rock that sticks out into the water , I've caught many a trout just below that rock.

I've seen a lot of those creek chubs up there over the years, I actually caught a smallmouth in Coopers years ago, went about a pound and half, maybe two pounds,

JonathanG2013

I haven't been to Coopers in the last couple of years, but I know exactly where that picture was taken, downstream from that pic a few yards is long rock that sticks out into the water , I've caught many a trout just below that rock.

I've seen a lot of those creek chubs up there over the years, I actually caught a smallmouth in Coopers years ago, went about a pound and half, maybe two pounds,

It was a nice creek at coopers. It would have been a lot better if I could stay out of the low hanging tree limbs. I ordered me some wading boots for my next trip. Trying to navigate the rocks with tennis shoes is like walking on a skating rink.

transfixer

It was a nice creek at coopers. It would have been a lot better if I could stay out of the low hanging tree limbs. I ordered me some wading boots for my next trip. Trying to navigate the rocks with tennis shoes is like walking on a skating rink.

I've waded that creek since I was 13 or 14 years old, back then it was blue jeans and tennis shoes, or shorts and tennis shoes, its a special place for my family, many good memories over the years, years ago my sister and I scattered our Dad's ashes downstream from that picture.

JonathanG2013

I've waded that creek since I was 13 or 14 years old, back then it was blue jeans and tennis shoes, or shorts and tennis shoes, its a special place for my family, many good memories over the years, years ago my sister and I scattered our Dad's ashes downstream from that picture.

Sorry for your loss.

Is there mainly bows and specs in there?

JonathanG2013

I actually caught that River Chub right down from that rock that you were talking about.

transfixer

Since its a put and take stream its mostly rainbows, I've not caught anything other than bows over the years, I've seen a few bruisers over the years that might go up to 4 or 5 lbs, but they have never hit anything I've had, you can go to the old store at the end of Mulky Gap rd at hwy 60 and see some mounted trout on the wall that have come from Coopers and Rock crk, but many years ago.

There is a road to the right as you go towards 60 that goes up to what they call Sea creek falls, supposedly up top of the falls and further upstream you can find some native specs, I ventured up there in my younger days, but never caught anything.

transfixer

I actually caught that River Chub right down from that rock that you were talking about.

Prbly about 75yds downstream from that rock there used to be a good sized log jam, I caught the smallmouth up under that log jam, but that's probably been 20yrs ago.

burtontrout

I just got back from coopers creek this weekend and caught about ten a day. They are all back in the stream for someone else to enjoy.
Rock creek was not very good. Looks like it was hammered over the labor day weekend.

JonathanG2013

I just got back from coopers creek this weekend and caught about ten a day. They are all back in the stream for someone else to enjoy.
Rock creek was not very good. Looks like it was hammered over the labor day weekend.

We must have been in the wrong location of the creek at coopers. What were you catching them on? Only bites I got was on river chub. It was on a parachute adams and copper john.

transfixer

Wonder if we got a late start also. Did not get up there until about 9:40.

I haven't fished Coopers this late in the year that I can remember, but I can tell you that many of the stockers won't hit anything that doesn't look like the pellets they get fed at the hatchery, lol,, bright colors have always seemed to work better than dull or earth colors . Once you go there a few times you'll learn the spots that hold fish, if you can manage to go with two vehicles, park one on the lower end way down past the campground area, and drive up to the parking lot above the concrete bridge, park there and fish down to your other vehicle, it will take you a while though, but you'll get to fish some places most people never get to.

Latest posts