Coopers Creek and Rock Creek fishing trip

JonathanG2013

I haven't fished Coopers this late in the year that I can remember, but I can tell you that many of the stockers won't hit anything that doesn't look like the pellets they get fed at the hatchery, lol,, bright colors have always seemed to work better than dull or earth colors . Once you go there a few times you'll learn the spots that hold fish, if you can manage to go with two vehicles, park one on the lower end way down past the campground area, and drive up to the parking lot above the concrete bridge, park there and fish down to your other vehicle, it will take you a while though, but you'll get to fish some places most people never get to.

Wonder if bright items like Y2K would have worked.

Should have just went to Tallulah or wildcat streams where I am used too.

Saw a video of people fishing Jones Bridge Chattahoochee Recreation Area in John Creek, GA by work. They were catching a few browns. Wonder if I could just use wading boots for that or need chest waders like they had?

ripplerider

Since its a put and take stream its mostly rainbows, I've not caught anything other than bows over the years, I've seen a few bruisers over the years that might go up to 4 or 5 lbs, but they have never hit anything I've had, you can go to the old store at the end of Mulky Gap rd at hwy 60 and see some mounted trout on the wall that have come from Coopers and Rock crk, but many years ago.

There is a road to the right as you go towards 60 that goes up to what they call Sea creek falls, supposedly up top of the falls and further upstream you can find some native specs, I ventured up there in my younger days, but never caught anything.

I've fished Sea creek many many times and never caught anything but native rainbows.

carver

Caught this at Rock Creek Sat.before last just down from Rock Creek lake
0815181954[1].jpg

Rabun

When we to Coopers Creek the water had a smell to it. Is this normal? Also did not see any trout and the water was pretty warm. Wonder if Rabun County would have temps below 65 in streams?

If you want to catch some N Ga stream trout, try wildcat creek off 197. Park at the first bridge and fish up stream to below the first camp ground. You will go through some rugged terrain that keeps most people out. Plenty of stockers in that creek. It's very tight like most GA mountain trout streams so working a fly rod is difficult. I have found shooting a bright colored panther martin spinner using a short ultralight rod works great. Was there two weeks ago for a mountain stream fix.

If you want to catch some native browns and stockers...the hooch below buford dam to roswell road holds many....just pick a park or NRA and jump in. Plenty of wide open water to practice your fly fishing technique. Watch water levels though...

JonathanG2013

If you want to catch some N Ga stream trout, try wildcat creek off 197. Park at the first bridge and fish up stream to below the first camp ground. You will go through some rugged terrain that keeps most people out. Plenty of stockers in that creek. It's very tight like most GA mountain trout streams so working a fly rod is difficult. I have found shooting a bright colored panther martin spinner using a short ultralight rod works great. Was there two weeks ago for a mountain stream fix.

If you want to catch some native browns and stockers...the hooch below buford dam to roswell road holds many....just pick a park or NRA and jump in. Plenty of wide open water to practice your fly fishing technique. Watch water levels though...
Thanks

Wildcat I know. Need to go back up there. Used to camp start of trout season for friends birthday. Went 10 years straight until he passed. I caught my limit in 10 mins once at a waterfall about 7 miles up the road.

Will have to try the Hooch below the dam. Wonder if Jones Creek Rec area would also be good near Johns Creek?

Rabun

Thanks

Wildcat I know. Need to go back up there. Used to camp start of trout season for friends birthday. Went 10 years straight until he passed. I caught my limit in 10 mins once at a waterfall about 7 miles up the road.

Will have to try the Hooch below the dam. Wonder if Jones Creek Rec area would also be good near Johns Creek?

Sorry about your friend...sometimes revisiting common grounds conjures up emotions. I used to fish there with my Dad when I was a button...I'm 61 now and Dad is long gone. Kind of amazing how little that area has changed in all that time. Biggest impact I see now is the death of the old hemlocks. Think about him every time I'm in that area. He was a forestry major and loved the woods.

If you mean Jones Bridge...yes..should be plenty of trout there. I mostly fish down around Ford Island area, but it's been a while. Seems every time I want to go, the river is washed out.

Good luck to you!

JonathanG2013

Speaking of Hemlock. I co-worker was camping in North Georgia and it ending up raining on them and the wood got wet. His friend got a piece of hemlock and put it on the wood and it burst into flames. I didn't know that you can take a green piece and wet it and it would still light. I guess the resin in the leaf is what makes in very flammable?

Coenen

I catch a good number around Bowman's Island up nearer to the Dam. If the weather is still favorable(in the 80's), you can wet-wade it in pants and tennis shoes. Just got to make sure you check generation(770-945-1466), and wear a PFD up North of the Hwy 20 Bridge.