Cooper's hawk?

lbzdually

Banned
I was in my garage trying to put a window regulator in my nieces Dodge Avenger (failed by the way), I heard a whoosh and then a thump against the wall. Then it took off again and hit a closed window and hit the ground. Went to take a pic and it was barely moving, so I got a little blanket and threw over it. Then it must have woke up and it start flopping a bit. Took it out in driveway, but it came right back in. It looked to have a broken wing, but when I got close it took off and flew into the woods. When it whizzed by my head it scanned the snot out of me. It was a pretty bird, looked to be a juvenile.

Last edited:

lbzdually

Banned
It's not letting me attach files from my phone.

Attachments

• IMG_20180418_114426502[1].jpg
    IMG_20180418_114426502[1].jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 248

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Yeah, it's a Coopers hawk.

lbzdually

Banned
It had orange eyes, if that makes a difference. I'm just wondering if it saw the top of my head and tried to grab it, then realized it's mistake and veered off but couldn't stop in time. The tail feather stripes and the gray feathers fit the Cooper's. One day, I heard 3 hawks calling back in forth in the field next to my house. Between them and the 6 ft long king snake, I'm hoping the rat and copperhead population are under control.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
It had orange eyes, if that makes a difference. I'm just wondering if it saw the top of my head and tried to grab it, then realized it's mistake and veered off but couldn't stop in time. The tail feather stripes and the gray feathers fit the Cooper's. One day, I heard 3 hawks calling back in forth in the field next to my house. Between them and the 6 ft long king snake, I'm hoping the rat and copperhead population are under control.

Yep, the eyes make a big difference. That would be a cooper.

lbzdually

Banned
Yep, the eyes make a big difference. That would be a cooper.

It was a beautiful bird, I wish I would have gotten more pictures, but I'm glad it could fly away. I heard another hawk calling right before this one got it's bearings back and it flew off. This was a small hawk and I've seen much bigger red-tailed hawks patrolling. Would they prey on another small hawk like this?