Core Lokt vs American Whitetail

medic1

My son sighted in his 30-06 with 150 gr Core Lokts. He just picked up a box of 150 gr. Hornady American Whitetail. Will the trajectory be close to the same or will he need to go back to the range with the new ammo? For what it's worth, he is sighted in 2" high at 100 yards with the Core Lokts.

Dub

Yup....I have to agree with the folks here.....you are gonna have to test it out.

I had OUTSTANDING accuracy & terminal results with the 150 gr CoreLokt loads in my .308 Win. Sub 1" groups from a whippy-thin short barrel. The gun was insanely happy over those bullets.

I'd be confident with the terminals in the hotter .30'06.

FWIW.....I've got new .30'06 that I was hoping to get up and running this week. I was gonna grab a couple boxes of 150gr & 165gr Corelokts to test 'er out with.

Once you get one dialed in.....it's cheaper to keep feeding it that same round....otherwise you'll burn off 1/2 box to confirm each.

Lilly001

You are probaly ok out to 150 yds on deer.
There will be a difference, but probaly within minute of deer.
At longer ranges it would be prudent to check.
I have rifles that shoot almost anything to the same zero. And I have some that are off with the same ammo , just a different lot.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with the others. I wanted to ad I shot my first deer with the American Whitetail in my 7mm-08 this past weekend and I was very pleased! Shot a doe at about 80 yards. Took out the heart and left a nice exit. No tracking needed though as she fell on the spot.

biggdogg

I can tell you with absolute certainty that you need to check it at the range. My daughter's 7mm-08 will shoot 3/4" at 100 yards with the Hornady American Whitetail. The Core-Lokt looks like a pattern from a shotgun.

biggdogg

I agree with the others. I wanted to ad I shot my first deer with the American Whitetail in my 7mm-08 this past weekend and I was very pleased! Shot a doe at about 80 yards. Took out the heart and left a nice exit. No tracking needed though as she fell on the spot.

My daughter shot her first deer last season at 65 yards and shot her second this past Saturday at 130 yards with the American Whitetail 7mm-08. Neither one took a step.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Got check them,
I never seen a rifle that didn't have some difference when you switch brands. It might be very small or quite a bit. You just never know.

JohnK

My group size can vary considerably depending on the ammo. He'd be better off getting another box of 150 core lock and save the white tail for practice.

fowlmeat08

Just switched from 150 grain Core-Lokts to 150 grain Hornady AW this weekend. Shot 1 AW through just to check and it was dead on the money. FWIW I'm shooting a Browning X-Bolt 30-06.

My son sighted in his 30-06 with 150 gr Core Lokts. He just picked up a box of 150 gr. Hornady American Whitetail. Will the trajectory be close to the same or will he need to go back to the range with the new ammo? For what it's worth, he is sighted in 2" high at 100 yards with the Core Lokts.

Anytime you change ammo, shoot your weapon. It should be really close, but none the less shoot the weapon.

Silver Mallard

I can tell you with absolute certainty that you need to check it at the range. My daughter's 7mm-08 will shoot 3/4" at 100 yards with the Hornady American Whitetail. The Core-Lokt looks like a pattern from a shotgun.
my tc 7mm-08 loves the hornady American whitetail, but couldn't stay consistent with the corelokts for some reason.