Core lokts.....do you like em?

Big7

The Oracle
That's the main one. A shame, too, because that used to be one of the best rifles out there, that a working man could afford, anyway.

That, and the competitive Winchester M-70 were pushed into service as far back as Korea and Vietnam.

There was a reason for that. Both very fine. "hunting" rifles. Rails, optics, etc.. Much easier to get rolling as opposed to Military re-fits..

Of course, the military has of late, commissioned military "sniper" rifles for that specific purpose.

ISSUE weapons and ammunition are critical in forward operations. You never know if a Sniper will need to grab a few issued ball from someone carrying a can of .308 or
50 BMG.. ?

LT6767

The 30 30 and 35Rem bullets I like. The speer point NO. I took a 6ptr with a .300Savage 150gr core lokt and the bullet pencilled straight through. It never mushroomed...

Killed one last Saturday with a 150 grain corelokt with my 308 Savage tactical. 109 yards never moved except to fall where he was shot. Like I said earlier I have shot a 150 grain corelokt bullet in 3006 of 308 since I was 16 years old and I will be 68 next month. Now I have in the past shot a 270, 3030 and a 6mm all with corelokt bullets. I have fired a rifle more than most the only other ammo I have used was 7.62 MM NATO or 556 MM NATO and that was all FMJ. I was not hunting. I was at war or preparing for war.

Last edited:

buckpasser

I’ve always enjoyed great accuracy and killing results with them. 150 g in the .30-06 Jam-master and 165 g in the bolt gun.

The only oddity I encountered was a close range mature buck I shot from the ground with the jammer. Bang, bang, bang, and bang. Behaved like 3 misses and a disappearing act. When I got to him he had 3 lung shots that were tiny holes on both sides and a neck shot that anchored him in the brush. He just kept moving and looking for the sound until that last one, like you might expect from an elk.

tgc

I shoot them in a Remington 742 woodsmaster. 30/06. I treat them as a 30/30 magnum. Wouldn’t use these in a power line or soy bean field hunting situation.

willie1971

I had 2 missfires in my 25-06 in out of 10 rounds while practicing 2 weeks ago. now stuck with 200 rounds, not very confident. federals worked fine.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I had 2 missfires in my 25-06 in out of 10 rounds while practicing 2 weeks ago. now stuck with 200 rounds, not very confident. federals worked fine.

yep...we have been waiting over in the thread you started...to see if it is your rifle or the ammo you bought.

Reactions: Dub

mattuga

Banned
Used to love them and swear by them. The last few years, though, anything that says "Remington" on it is pure junk, sadly. They went from one of the best and most trusted firearm and ammunition brands to crap after they sold out to Cerebus Capital. The last box of Remington ammo I bought had five duds in it. The rifles go off when you take the safety off. It's pitiful.
My Remington 700 .223 did that and I thought I was an idiot the first time with maybe my finger on the trigger even thought that has never happened. I clicked safety and boom. Same thing happened next effort and that gun was retired until gunsmith. I wouldn't think the gun would go off with bad ammo. Can you explain? It hasn't gone off since going to the gunsmith but I'm not experienced in wrong shooting guns, not really a fan of the gun for now and have others. I trust your experience, not questioning.

willie1971

yep...we have been waiting over in the thread you started...to see if it is your rifle or the ammo you bought.

Sorry - been offline for a while, thanks for the heads up, and I responded. On another note,What is the proper way to dispose of these missfired loads? I chucked mine in the pond, but just wondering

Anvilhead

I had the same issue.... misfires. 150Gr Corelokt. 308 win.
one misfired while i was shooting a deer. Second round worked and I killed the deer.
after the season last year at a bench I had 3 misfires out of this batch of ammo. My rifle loved the ones that went off. I shot 4 different brands that day.. Winchester, Barnes, Federal, & Hornady.... No issues with any other brands in my rifle.

rosewood

I used core-lokts exclusively in my .270 for hunting before I started reloading rifle cartridges, maybe 10 years ago or so. Never had an issue back then. Seems a lot of reports of the newer stuff having issues. Sounds like the QC Dept was let go....

roadkill

I love them in my 742! You just have to put the shot in the right place. Heart or lungs is a short or no tracking job. Very little bloodshot meat.

I still shoot em. I use em to sight in my scopes because they're fairly cheap. Then I shoot a half a box of Sierra Game Kings to get my hunting zero. (Good Killin Bullets)

Lead Poison

I do not use them. I prefer many others. That is not to say they will not work for you in your rifle. They are just not my bullet of choice by a long shot.

fishman1957

I always used them growing up till they ruined my Remington Woodsmaster shot one with no or not much powder lodged in barrel gun never shot well after it being drilled out. My son always used in his 7mm mag till this year when sighting in for year shot a whole box all over the target. Tried horaday 1" groups at 100 yd

Dub

I used core-lokts exclusively in my .270 for hunting before I started reloading rifle cartridges, maybe 10 years ago or so. Never had an issue back then. Seems a lot of reports of the newer stuff having issues. Sounds like the QC Dept was let go....

Sounds like QC is exactly what suffered with all the corporate shuffling around that happened at Big Green.

Used to trust them 12+ years back. Had a .308Win Model 7 that loved the 150gr Core-Lokt shells and my local Walmart always had them.

Bought some dies and had fun working up 165gr Nosler BT loads for it later on.

Never had issues with Remington products that others have, but then again I did my own trigger tweaking to them and assumed the risks.

I still have enough faith in them to give them one more try with a new CDL in ‘06. Verdict is out.

I’ll know what I’m up against once I scope it and see. Trigger feels good and hasn’t slammed fired, fired during safety manipulation or other when I’ve tested it.

Hopefully the barrel is true and installed correctly.

At the time I bought it the sales price was so tempting that I took the bait. Another sucker or satisfied will be interesting to find out. The stock could always be used on a stainless BDL I’ve had and the action used for a fun project.

Time will tell.

It was sad seeing Remington lose the reputation they had once all the corporate shell game shuffling occurred.

I’m surprised my new CDL didn’t have all sorts of legal verbage stamped all over it.

Was looking at a really sharp looking new S&W 1911 the other day.....flipped it over and saw it had the junk stamped into the frame. Otherwise sharp looking gun.

Pretty sad times we find ourselves in when a new shooter asks for opinion on a new deer rifle recommendations and the M700 isn’t among the top you feel good about suggesting. Now I just steer them towards Tikka or Ruger.

I’m gonna stick with Big Green this one more dance....but ain’t holding my breath.