Cornbread & Buttermilk and Other Downhome Eats

ryork

Growing up, always heard my Mom and Grandparents tal11-17 (10).jpg11-17 (4).jpg11-17 (5).jpg11-17 (9).jpg11-17 (6).jpg11-17 (1).jpg11-17 (2).jpgk about cornbread and buttermilk. Sometimes it seemed because they really liked it, and sometimes because it might been all that was to be had that day. Anyway, we lived next to my Grandparents and ate supper there pretty much every night. Her kitchen is still a huge influence on me. Back to the buttermilk, I use it in and on and as a part of a ton of things. However, I don't want to drink it. Tonight I did a little play on the cornbread and buttermilk, how about a little cornbread and buttermilk soup? Made a skillet of some cornbread loaded up pretty good with some pork cracklings. Sweated down some onion and celery with a little salt and pepper in some butter. Added some of the crumbled up cornbread and some chicken stock. Let that cool, put in a blender and slowly added in some buttermilk. Put it back in the pan and kept it warm, didn't let it boil. That soup was absolutely off the chain! Easily in the Top 5 of anything and everything I've ever made. If you didn't know what it was, buttermilk wouldn't have been that obvious. The cracklings made it, liquefied like that, gave it a nice pork background.

Also had some chicken cordon blue wrapped in bacon and some pork tenderloin roasted on the grill, some collard greens with smoked neck bones and some pepper sauce I put up last summer, some hoppin john, and some homemade tater salad. I'm tight as a tick!11-17 (3).jpg11-17 (8).jpg

GA1dad

Awesomeness!!!

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I like to brown sausage, add diced tomatoes, green beans & corn. Add some water & heavy cream or half & half (whatever's in the f

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I like to brown sausage, add diced tomatoes, green beans & corn. Add some water & heavy cream or half & half (whatever's in the fridge). Makes a good soup. Sometimes I put spinach in near the end. Good soup.

dfhooked

That’s some down home greatness right there. Earmarking this one for a meal to do here soon. Excellent as always sir!!!

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Beeeeeeeeuteeeeeful!!!!!!!!!!

naildrvr

Outstanding!!!! My mama makes cracklin' cornbread about 2 times a year with collards and it just don't get any better than that. Awesome eats right there York, excellent sir :cheers:

Big7

The Oracle
I LOVE cornbread and buttermilk!

I just go by the directions on the
bag. I don't put egg or sugar in it.

Add a cup or as much as you like
of HORMEL cracklin's. HORMEL is
the best. They are just rendered fat
and don't have skins on.

I like to put the HOT cornbread into
a big bowl and pour lot's of COLD
buttermilk over the c cornbread.