Corporate America

sinclair1

My wife and I just went back to corporate America after being self employed for 5 years. I couldn't wait to get back. I took my time and found a company that still has perks and bennies.

The insurance was our main motivator as we were paying 1800 a month. Now mine is $68 a month and my wife's $120 a month. Matching 401k with phone allowance, free life insurance and three weeks vacation first year.
I am actually going on paid vacation next month after only 99 days employment.

I left corporate to be self employed because the company I worked at for 25 years was downtown and pulling back its perks and 401match.

I wouldn't give up hope that good companies are out there. We can't find people that want to work, even up the ladder jobs are hard to get good employees. The company continues to add to the perks to try and attract the few out there that know old school work ethics,so I benefit with increased salary just because they raised the bar only 3 months after I started. We get free lunches and gift cards of appreciation. They keep giving us gas gift cards and I only live 7 miles away.

A side note is I took a job for three months before this one. It was the same old corporate that's becoming the norm. Always trying to pile on the hours and not so much as a free cookie after a 60 hour week on salary. I left those losers where I found them.
I applied the old "get another job if you don't like it" and I did.:flag:

Back are the days where I am awake 2 hours early and ready to go to work. When I get there there will be breakfast pastries and orange juice waiting, maybe a free catered lunch after a jillion stupid meetings on how to make the company a better place to work.

I am the only one there in management without a college degree. They ran out of clean cut sharp dressed college folks and couldn't find anything but tattooed Up pin cushions that stink like cigarettes and last nights beer at interview time, so I took that job porstaf style with a D+ transcript.
Your resume is strong...good luck out there.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

My wife and I just went back to corporate America after being self employed for 5 years. I couldn't wait to get back. I took my time and found a company that still has perks and bennies.

The insurance was our main motivator as we were paying 1800 a month. Now mine is $68 a month and my wife's $120 a month. Matching 401k with phone allowance, free life insurance and three weeks vacation first year.
I am actually going on paid vacation next month after only 99 days employment.

I left corporate to be self employed because the company I worked at for 25 years was downtown and pulling back its perks and 401match.

I wouldn't give up hope that good companies are out there. We can't find people that want to work, even up the ladder jobs are hard to get good employees. The company continues to add to the perks to try and attract the few out there that know old school work ethics,so I benefit with increased salary just because they raised the bar only 3 months after I started. We get free lunches and gift cards of appreciation. They keep giving us gas gift cards and I only live 7 miles away.

A side note is I took a job for three months before this one. It was the same old corporate that's becoming the norm. Always trying to pile on the hours and not so much as a free cookie after a 60 hour week on salary. I left those losers where I found them.
I applied the old "get another job if you don't like it" and I did.:flag:

Back are the days where I am awake 2 hours early and ready to go to work. When I get there there will be breakfast pastries and orange juice waiting, maybe a free catered lunch after a jillion stupid meetings on how to make the company a better place to work.

I am the only one there in management without a college degree. They ran out of clean cut sharp dressed college folks and couldn't find anything but tattooed Up pin cushions that stink like cigarettes and last nights beer at interview time, so I took that job porstaf style with a D+ transcript.
Your resume is strong...good luck out there.

Wow, I didn't even think about the insurance cost for self employment. Your new job sounds like it has a lot of nice perks.
I can remember my self employed Dad coming home saying; Son just go to work for the other guy, less headaches that way."

I guess with the more perks comes all the negative things that come with it. More rules, politics, safety restrictions, green guidelines, computer training, and meetings.
They love computer training and meetings. They have a meeting to discuss a meeting. Then there is diversity training, sexual harassment training, security training, ethics training, customer service training, and the list grows every year.

I think it helps to think of it as a game. You play the game, you get matching 401k funds and free lunches. Maybe an occasional Hawaiian Shaved Ice even!

Last edited:

sinclair1

Wow, I didn't even think about the insurance cost for self employment. Your new job sounds like it has a lot of nice perks.
I can remember my self employed Dad coming home saying; Son just go to work for the other guy, less headaches that way."

I guess with the more perks comes all the negative things that come with it. More rules, politics, safety restrictions, green guidelines, computer training, and meetings.
They love computer training and meetings. They have a meeting to discuss a meeting. Then there is diversity training, sexual harassment training, security training, ethics training, customer service training, and the list grows every year.

I think it helps to think of it as a game. You play the game, you get matching 401k funds and free lunches. Maybe an occasional Hawaiian Shaved Ice even!
Exactly right! It bothered me at first because it's hard to be productive sitting in meetings all day or taking classes but now I just eat the shaved ice and go with the flow.

I has been interesting reading through this thread. While I am not a Millenial, I think they get beat up WAY to much. They are the first generation to realize that there is no such thing as loyalty, and they act accordingly. Too many old timers live in a fantasy world. The truth is (Just like in car insurance) that the longer you stay at an employer, the less you will make.

hopper

. I’m sure my company profile had a lot to do with upper management deciding to move me back in manufacturing due to all the production jobs the first ten years. The down side is the new company has doubled the capacity of production which has brought on a new work force without experience and a bunch of bodies that are here just for a check they have no drive to learn. Anything you try and push on them then you are disrespecting them and will find yourself in the HR office. The supervisor and Forman’s have been fighting this issue for the past eight months. I just feel like I’m being set up for failure. Before getting into manufacturing I was a third generation carpenter and pretty much do anything in the construction business. I’m really thinking of just moving on to another adventure in construction. I’m still in pretty good shape for my age.my wife has been and still is in the medical field for the past thirty years which she has my back on whatever I decide. I’m thinging about a small handy man type business and get away from it all. I’d be a much healthier and happy person knowing all I had to do is some type of handy work to help others and make a decent living in the process. I wouldn’t know what to act like living a stress free life style, I think thirty years is long enough being pushed and bullied by corporate people taking advantage of my loyalty and dedication, it happens way to often I’ve really been doing some soul searching and I believe it time. I really appreciate the suggestions and comments. Thank you.
Sounds like a good opportunity for you. The residential market is on Fire at the moment. A good truck, some tools and a good local website campaign should get you kicked of. Especially with your wife working.
To heck with that punch clock