Cost of Protein Feed

CF2015

We recently switched feed this year and the deer have been consuming it a lot more than last years feed.

They are currently going though 1 ton every two weeks on 1,100 acres. Last year we fed from February to September and then switched to corn.

I'm curious what others are paying or how much they are feeding on a per acre basis. I feel like we have a low deer density. I don't want to slow it down, but I feel like it's going to get costly feeding until September as quick as they are going through it. We fed 10 tons of protein feed last year, and at this pace it's going to likely be around 12 tons or more.

I am feeding out of Five 1,250 lb ASF and Six 300 lb Banks Feeders. 11 Feeders total. One per 100 acres.

shdw633

What are you paying for your protein and are you feedng just protein or mixing with corn in order to cut your costs?

ucfireman

They will slow down once green up takes off. I just bought a ton of Buck muscle in Newnan, 13/bag 520. I went with them because they will let me grab a few bags at a time instead of having to store it at my place. Its 480/ ton in Pine mtn. picked up.
I did the same thing. 50/50 BM and Corn in the gravity feeder and 75/25 corn/BM in my trough.

CF2015

What are you paying for your protein and are you feedng just protein or mixing with corn in order to cut your costs?

I start them off 50/50 corn and pellet mix to get them started in February. Then it's straight pellets until switching to straight corn in September. I did try to find some roasted soybeans to try and mix this year, however I was quoted $18 per bag so I ruled that out.

shdw633

I start them off 50/50 corn and pellet mix to get them started in February. Then it's straight pellets until switching to straight corn in September. I did try to find some roasted soybeans to try and mix this year, however I was quoted $18 per bag so I ruled that out.

Well I agree with ucfireman that they will slow down and though I don't know where you live or what you're paying for your protien pellets I would recommend looking at mid-ga ag as they have feed up to 24% protein at surprisingly reasonable prices and I would not go 100% protein because of the number of does your more than likely feeding. At least run 25% corn in your mix as this will help with your costs and deer need carbs as well. I would also consider a different feeding schedule. Bucks are hard on their bodies during rut and need to replenish themselves for good antler growth in the spring, whereas by July they have pretty much gotten what their going to have for headgear. You will do more for your herd feeding them from December to July than February to September in my opinion. I also recommend food plots, these will help more than anything as far as feeding a herd goes.

Last edited:

Bucaramus

They will slow down once green up takes off. I just bought a ton of Buck muscle in Newnan, 13/bag 520. I went with them because they will let me grab a few bags at a time instead of having to store it at my place. Its 480/ ton in Pine mtn. picked up.
I did the same thing. 50/50 BM and Corn in the gravity feeder and 75/25 corn/BM in my trough.

Where at in Newnan?

BluewaterFever

We are using Antler Max in 2 Banks, 300# feeders. We normally fill with 200# protein and 50# corn. We will probably go to 150/100# mix protein to corn ratio as in the few moths due to food plots and agriculture fields being planted .

Latest posts