Cottonmouth ?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Was out in this heat trying to get me some pork and walked up on this dude , stood a couple yards from him for about 10 minutes and watched it eat a fish, pretty sure on cottonmouth but after being on here for a few years question myself that it may of been a fat water snake, I videoed it eating fish but never posted a video , had my snake boots on but caught myself the whole time I stood there looking at my feet , as always let it live and do what snakes doABC8FDC0-0797-4317-B8C2-FFAF60B863A4.jpeg

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Look at the eyestripe, and the pupil is dilated.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
But, I might be wrong on the ID. Don`t ever take what I say for granted. I`ve been wrong before, and I`ll be wrong again.

furtaker

The body and color look like a cottonmouth but I can't see the head clearly enough to tell for sure. Nic is probably correct.

Mark K

Banned
I always go by pupils, but if Nic says they can dilate then I’ll go with him. The eyestripe says Cottonmouth, but that pupil confused me. I would have left him alone either way.
Actually I wouldn’t have, I would have made him show me that mouth for a pic, lol!!

antharper

Staff member
I always go by pupils, but if Nic says they can dilate then I’ll go with him. The eyestripe says Cottonmouth, but that pupil confused me. I would have left him alone either way.
Actually I wouldn’t have, I would have made him show me that mouth for a pic, lol!!
I tried , I even poured a bottle of water on him , he was content on getting his meal down !

antharper

Staff member
Here’s another picture and I got to see his mouth good, I watched him swallow a fish and it did appear to be white 6A384D92-8972-433B-BF54-0881B6C1FC3B.jpeg

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Not positive but I’m going with water snake......pupil looks too “round” , nose too pointy.... I think his eye is turning white as he is about to shed. Big ole snake and I doubt I’d pick it up?

Either way that’s a cool find......I love seeing snakes!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That eye stripe says cottonmouth to me. I don't know of any water snakes that have it.

karen936

Head Researcher, McDurdellson Enterprises, Inc.
cottonmouth agree eye stripe

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
100% mistaken.
The eye looks like it has a round pupil, if it does it's a water snake.
Look at the eyestripe, and the pupil is dilated.
Nic is 100% correct.
Hard to believe it’s even an argument.
Look at it geez it’s a cottonmouth!
With every sign in the book.
And elliptical eyes does mean venomous but they also dialate too. Look at the drab color and markings at the belly.
Not a doubt and taking all bets!
That’s one fat cottonmouth period!

Last edited:

bigbonner

After looking at some of the snake pictures on here I am glad I don't have to worry about poisonous snakes . No bad snakes just scary snakes . I pick black berry's all the time in tennis shoes . But maybe 15 miles South of me there are some bad snakes.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
After looking at some of the snake pictures on here I am glad I don't have to worry about poisonous snakes . No bad snakes just scary snakes . I pick black berry's all the time in tennis shoes . But maybe 15 miles South of me there are some bad snakes.

Where do you live in Kentucky bb. The reason I ask, is because my situation, in Western Kentucky is the same. You can go 20 miles north or South, and Rattlers are common, but not here. In 38 years of hunting, fishing, gathering morels, and just walking the woods, I have never seen one. I have never talked to anybody who has ever come across one either.