Cover Crop Suggestions for Fall Clover Planting

GT90

So I have decided to join the food plot family and am looking for some help from some of you veterans. I have a 3/4 -1 acre round opening. It is an old logging deck from 3 years ago. The forestry service just harrowed it last weekend to break everything up. I would have preferred they push all the logging debris to the sides but they suggested harrowing. I believe they were concerned I would lose too much topsoil. I am actually surprised at how little debris is left. I gathered a soil sample that will go off to the Extension Agency tomorrow. I also had one ton of lime broadcast Saturday knowing I would probably need at least that much to get a start on the pH. Once the soil sample results are in I will follow those ASAP. Now for where I need help. I am considering planting Crimson and Ladino clover this fall (late Sep - early Oct). Do I need a cover crop and if so what do you propose? Or this being the first time planting this ground should I look at other things instead of clover? I have access to a Firmintor (buddy in club is willing to help). I also am thinking about adding Alyceclover in the Spring with anything else that might be beneficial. Conceptually I want to get this to a throw and mow perennial plot. I know this will take some time and effort to get there. I just want to make sure I am starting off on the right foot. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• food plot .jpg
    food plot .jpg
    108 KB · Views: 32

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I would put out the required lime to get you to 6.5-7.0 and plant crimson and winter wheat as a nurse crop until the clover is established.Let that all go to seed next spring /summer,spray for weeds late next summer with glysophate then bushhog.Then fert/plant your perennial clovers then.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
I'll just add, that make sure your clover seed is inoculated or buy the inoculant to go with it. It will help the clover produce it's own nitrogen and will leave some, for the next crop, after it dies away.

inoculants.JPG

Triple C

Crakajak is spot on. You'll probably have to add more lime to get ph where it needs to be by next fall. Only thing I'll add is when you do go for a perennial clover plot try to establish a clean seed bed and plant into that. Then cultipack if possible. We've used winter wheat and rye as a cover/nurse crop for clover. I prefer wheat as it doesn't get quite as tall the following spring prior to terminating. You'll be golden next fall when you get your PH to 6.5 or greater.

I'd use the firminator to plant the wheat and then broadcast the clover, then cultipack.

All the above suggestions are spot on, only thing I would suggest is lookup White Cloud Crimson Clover, it is a white clover,it suppose to be sweeter and more palatable to the deer than the red crimson. I planted this a week ago and according to the article it is a fast grower. Hancock seed is where you can read about it.Good luck!

GT90

Thank you gentlemen. Guess I should also ask where to get the seed. Do most folks buy online or at the local seed and feed? Probably looking at already inoculated to make things easy.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Thank you gentlemen. Guess I should also ask where to get the seed. Do most folks buy online or at the local seed and feed? Probably looking at already inoculated to make things easy.
Where do you live and where is your hunting land.?
I buy my seed at Mid Ga grain north of Woodbury 706-553 5067
or
Manchester feed & seed in Manchester Ga706 846 3101
Winter wheat should be 15.00 or less for 50 lbs(30 lbs/acre)
Inoculated Crimson should be about $60-70 per 50 lb(15 lbs per acre.)
It will be more $$$$ if you buy less than a bag.Maybe someone you know can split a bag with you.

GT90

Lawrenceville, Milledgeville Sparta, and Sandersville are my best options. Can definitely split with other members in the club. Is there any overriding benefit to working with a local location or ordering online?

Last edited:

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Boss bros in Loganville:
seed wheat $18 50/50 lbs
Inoculated crimson clover 65.00/50 lbs

Jim Boyd

Not sure about your soils but I am in lower SC.

Primarily sandy with some red clay and darker dirt.

Pines are prevalent.

Our unimproved soils require 2 tons per acre to get to 6.5.

This is the bench mark we start with and I have seen us end up from 6.3 to 6.8 pH.

Good luck!

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Not sure about your soils but I am in lower SC.

Primarily sandy with some red clay and darker dirt.

Pines are prevalent.

Our unimproved soils require 2 tons per acre to get to 6.5.

This is the bench mark we start with and I have seen us end up from 6.3 to 6.8 pH.

Good luck!
Jim. It takes a minimum of 2 tons in West central Ga red clay pine forest to get to 6.5.
A friend used 4 tons/acre to get his soil to 6.5 had to do it in 2 spreadings

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I would put out the required lime to get you to 6.5-7.0 and plant crimson and winter wheat as a nurse crop until the clover is established.Let that all go to seed next spring /summer,spray for weeds late next summer with glysophate then bushhog.Then fert/plant your perennial clovers then.

What he said. It's going to take several months after you lime for the pH to adjust and get to 6.5 so you're a little late on that score. I'd do as Crakajak suggested and not get ahead of yourself. The wheat and crimson clover will make a good soil amendment when you plow it under next Spring. Then you can add ever how much more lime you need to get your pH where it needs to be. Then next Fall dive in neck deep on perennial white clover.

Since you said your plot was a logging deck I'm guessing the pH is real low and perennial clover seed is expensive. It's pretty depressing to put a bunch of work and money into a food plot that doesn't produce. Perennial clovers like Duranna really want a good seed bed with the right pH to get started. Start them off right and they will pay off for years to come.

GT90

Quick update and thanks for all the info so far. You guys were right, as I expected. The soil test came back with a pH of 4.6 and said to add 5 tons of lime to get to 6.0 to 6.5. Is that good enough or should I be shooting for 6.5 to 7.0 for a perrenial clover plot? With one ton already down (after I took the soil sample) I am trying to figure out if I want to add 4 or 5 tons this week?

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Depends on how much$$$$$$ you want to spend this year. 6.5-7.0 will buy you some time before you have to lime again. I maintain a 6.5-7.0 and add lime every 2 years at 1 ton per acre.I have great top soil.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Quick update and thanks for all the info so far. You guys were right, as I expected. The soil test came back with a pH of 4.6 and said to add 5 tons of lime to get to 6.0 to 6.5. Is that good enough or should I be shooting for 6.5 to 7.0 for a perrenial clover plot? With one ton already down (after I took the soil sample) I am trying to figure out if I want to add 4 or 5 tons this week?

Do the most you can afford. You'll thank yourself later.

Latest posts