Cover Scent???

Davexx1

I hunt in Florida and it typically is very warm and I am sweating. I do the usual with shower, clean clothes, clean rubber boots, descent spray, etc., but have been busted more times this year than ever before and thinking a good cover scent would help.

Do you use a store bought cover scent?

If so, what have you found to be a good effective cover scent? Coon or fox pee, Coverup, Earth Scent wafers, deer gland type scent, or ????

Dave

LOBO

I ALSO DO ALL OF THE ABOVE...BUT I ALSO GRAB A HANDFUL
OF PINE NEEDLES AND CRUNCH IT AND RUB IT ALL OVER MY CLOTHES HANDS AND FACE THEN SOUNDS WEIRD , I PLACE THE REST UNDER MY CAP..SEEMS TO WORK :flag:

Last edited:

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
I prefer coon urine because coons are everywhere and should be common anywhere I hunt. I'll even pour some out of the stand down the tree like a coon had been in the tree in order to cover my scent while on the stand.

Davexx1

That coon whiz is some stinky stuff. Might work well, will give it a try. Sure hope the bottle doesn't leak in my pants pocket. :speechles

Dave

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Don't spill it, it's to expensive for that. Just put a few drops behind your ears and you should be fine... ;) :D

mpowell

huntnnut--so that's how you pick up all the woman??? a few dabs of coon juice behind the ears!

willhunt

Pine Scent

Hunter's Edge makes a pine scent called B. A. Tree. It comes in a little spray bottle. I found it at Walmart and now I'm never without it. If there are any pines in your area, give it a try.

wh

Jeff Phillips

willhunt said:
Hunter's Edge makes a pine scent called B. A. Tree. It comes in a little spray bottle. I found it at Walmart and now I'm never without it. If there are any pines in your area, give it a try.

wh

You can make your own BA Tree with 1/3 turpintine and 2/3 water.

Another good cover scent is vanilla extract. Just pour it in a sprayer and spray some on your boots and cap. Makes the ride home a little more enjoyable than coon or fox pee :p

Arrow Flinger

Jeff Phillips said:
You can make your own BA Tree with 1/3 turpintine and 2/3 water.

Another good cover scent is vanilla extract. Just pour it in a sprayer and spray some on your boots and cap. Makes the ride home a little more enjoyable than coon or fox pee :p

Vanilla extract is also suppose to be an attractorant. It works too. I tried it once and attracted every yellow jacket in a 10 mile radius! ::gone:

gtaff

Banned
I bath first thing in the morning in dirt soap that my wife and I make and sell. I also use scent eliminating spray and keep all of my clothes outside.

Hawg

Banned
Surf Detergent with a scent of Bounce fabric softener works for me every year. If a deer gets down wind of ya he/she going to smell you anyhow unless you get high enough up in a tree. I do like using deer pee around my stand though.........Good stuff.

Timbo

I bath first thing in the morning in dirt soap that my wife and I make and sell

WOW, now theres one Ive never heard of.Wish you well. :speechles

Davexx1

There are several commercial cover scents on the market that smell like Vanilla or something very sweet. Cover Up is one the other is Wayne Boscowits (?) bear hunting cover scent. Both smell much better than any whiz product.

I did have young buck walk right up to me from downwind one time and peak thru the bushes at me trying to find the source of that scent. He plainly saw me from 10 feet away but wouldn't leave. Too bad that doesn't work with the older ones.

I used to use Buck Stop Gland-U-Lure, on boots and around stand. Had a nice buck trail me all the way to the stand one time and follow the scent right up the ladder and look at me. I don't know who was the most surprised.

Coon whiz seems to be a popular favorite and is effective in Florida where temps are very warm and wind changes directions frequently.

Dave

letsgohuntin

I use Tinks' Red Fox Pee and have had deer walk right over my trail and under my stand several times, it seems to work really well. The bottle it comes in leaks around the cap though... and it STINKS !! :speechles

I was just wondering the other day while sitting on the stand... why don't they package urine from the most common of all woodland creature... Squirells ?? ::huh: I guess they don't pee enough to fill one of those bottles !!

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I have used vanilla extract for years. First read about it in Field and Stream back in the early 70's. Never go to the deer woods without it. I put a bunch of cotton balls in a used up Tylenol bottle and pour a bottle of vanilla over in it. when I get to my stand I pull out a couple of the cotton balls, kinda pull and stretch them out so they will hang over a twig. I have had fairly good luck using this method.

Slasher

what a deer doesn't like to smell?

My two cents worth... this and a $1.05 will get you a small coffe at a rural gas station, but its my experience...

I use whatever no one else is using in our area... I beleieve in stealth; try to not smell... its hard, expensive and doesn't work well after the 2nd-3rd week of bow season... by then they know!!!

Vanilla, know people who swear by it and it works for them... have known peeple in the past, who've put vanilla in the supplemental feed(corn) and then afterthe deer have been cut off, they mix vanilla and distilled water and spray down with it, and swear the deer come running when they smell it... I don't know, but the guy kills DEER!!!!

Me... I find that you can fool deer for a while, till the deer get educated enuff to equate a certain smell, with danger!!! So I think thats why obscure works... used to use fox pee way back when, then it became popular, went to coon pee, and it worked, went scent free and works sometimes, doesn't others...

All in all; each deer is different, but pressure and a deer's education makes all the difference in the world, so I go scent free, I'll use one brand of cover, then switch to another... the result- I doo better the first time out witha new eliminator and cover except for some sorta zapper product my wife bought at Wallyworld last year, seen no deer and heard more than enuff blowing to know, tey didn't like it!!!!

BTW, where is everyone getting the fox urine, as its outta fashion and paid dividends in the past as the deer these days haven't seem to have become accustomed to it... can't find it this year....