"Coward of Broward" Now drawing 6-Figure Pension

Dang...That's serious coin.
My Son is a Broward County Sherriff and will be retiring in 6 years.
I know he's not getting near that.
That guy is probably a double dipper from another Agency up North.
You can see he's been working the System for life.
He wasn't there to Serve and Protect...He was there for that money...sad..

Thread starter #3

Paleo

According to the article 's government document sources that's all from 32 years in Broward. He gets more if you count his health insurance.

Lilly001

I see his total is enhanced a lot from overtime wages.
That is a common thing her in Fl. The agency won't hire enough manpower so they have their people work overtime instead. It saves the agency money but it puts a financial burden on the state retirement system later.

PappyHoel

He won’t keep any of that money after the civil lawsuit. He’ll be lucky to keep his house after he declares bankruptcy.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Pretty good money for not doing his job...

4HAND

That is a common thing her in Fl. The agency won't hire enough manpower so they have their people work overtime instead. It saves the agency money but it puts a financial burden on the state retirement system later.
Areas like Broward County have a lot of opportunity for off duty work too. It contributes to retirement if it's paid through the agency.

We don't have that in my area.

Miguel Cervantes

GON Severe Weatherman
His lethargic butt will die of a heart attack before he gets to enjoy much of that pension. ;)

You won't find a retirement package in South Carolina for Leo anywhere near half that. Florida must be Union. That's a cuss word around here.

Lilly001

You won't find a retirement package in South Carolina for Leo anywhere near half that. Florida must be Union. That's a cuss word around here.
Over in Broward they do have collective bargaining. It wasn't allowed by law with Sheriffs until about 20 years ago. And retirement is state run, not local.
Being FRS (Florida retirement system) the formula is 3% per year of service multiplayer based on your 5 highest years. There are deductions for spousal coverage and such. Max is 100%. Healthcare is not included but a health subsidy is available from 50 to 150$ a month depending on years of service. There are also investment options in leu of the traditional pension.
It is contributory and there are restrictions on new employees.
Many state and county employees are elegable including teachers ( at different multipliers).:cheers:

Talked to my Son today about this.
Guy has 31 years in , Based on his highest 5 pay and 2 X Wifes..so he'll need all of it..

Jack Ryan

If they hired another person, wouldn't they then be obligated to pay TWO pensions instead of ONE? How is it a burden on the retirement system?

It sounds to me like exactly what they all agreed to when they hired him and kept him employed there for 32 years.

Lilly001

If they hired another person, wouldn't they then be obligated to pay TWO pensions instead of ONE? How is it a burden on the retirement system?

It sounds to me like exactly what they all agreed to when they hired him and kept him employed there for 32 years.
I would agree with the agreement part.
But the paying two pension part might not work out that way.
A significant number of new employees leave the system before vesting. Not as many as in years past. But enough so that the entire pension obligation is lessened. Also ffew of those that do stay earn the percentage he did.