Coyote questions and assistance needed.

maxwell42583

I am very new to coyote hunting. I am seasoned at everything else in our region but coyotes just never really interested me. We are experiencing, as with the rest of Georgia, I coyote problem on our property. My Granddaddy, who passed away at 93 last year, always told me that in SWGA our coyotes experienced a bad disease that decimated the pack back in the 80's and that they will return full force one day. He said that coyotes were really bad in the early days because ranchers would drag their dead cows into the woods and pretty much feed them. This large amount of coyotes became diseased and they were naturally kept in check for about 20 years. I fear that they have returned full force, like he said would happen. I am getting game camera pics of packs chasing mature bucks and I am hearing more during night time hours. Their tracks are everywhere. We saw less deer this year than ever. I have tried to kill some at night to no avail. One night a buddy, his wife, my wife, and I parked my Ranger in one of my larger fields and could literally watch the coyotes running around us within 50 yards in the moonlight, unfortunately we had no lights or guns with us. It was like they were checking us out. My buddy and I stood on the roof and started howling and the pack all started yipping around us! It was pretty cool, yet creepy. My wife is scared to let our dogs out of the house, and I am worried about my deer herd.

My question is this, how can I cut down on the coyote population without spending a lot of money? I don’t like going in and actively hunting them at night because I do not like spooking my deer. I have tried to hunt during the day with a cheap call and a shaky rabbit decoy. I can’t get them to come in. I hate to buy an expensive electronic call, but when in Rome…. I guess. My buddies and I have killed a couple over the past hunting season while hunting, but I want to get way more of them.

Is there still a market for their fur? How expensive would it be to call in a trapper to get them? My Granddaddy didn’t get to teach me a lot about trapping; is there a lot of "bycatch" and how hard is it to trap them on my own? As far as hunting them during the day, how have some of you guys set up on your places and what did y'all use, if you don’t mind telling everyone? Does anyone have any other suggestions? I will not use crushed light bulbs in hamburger meat or anything like that so don’t post stuff that will get you in trouble…:shoot:

CowtownHunter

Trapping would be the most effective way. But as in anything else, it'll cost you money. I would say $200-$300 should get you at least 6 traps and supplies to get you started. You didn't say how big your property is but a professional will cost you at least in the 4 figures (> $1000) to cover their cost and time. Try www.fntpost.com or www.pcsoutdoors.com to get your trapping supplies; their staff is very knowledgeable and helpful. Also check out http://www.trapperman.com/forum, youtube, and threads on this forum for tips.

bowhunter02

If you decide to trap them your self get the Minnesota 550 offset traps. I use the 550 with a duckbill anchor. Seems to work good so far. I would look on you tube for a few videos to get you started.

Mark K

Banned
Where are you located? Trapping is about the only surefire way to get the population in check (Notice I didn’t say get rid of them). But with trapping you’ll generally have to wade through your coons and possums first. They will clog up the traps before a coyote even has a chance to visit.
Decent traps won’t be that expensive. Nice traps will be. I run MB550’s and think they are one of the best out there. As far as fur, not too valuable down here. More time and money in the traps and skinning/fleshing than what you’ll pull in. Most landowners are like you and just want them gone.
And FYI, coyotes can be hunted and trapped year round here in Georgia.