Crawfish?

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
Let’s talk crawfish, I know this is originally designed for hook/line/sinker threads but I’m curious about where and if anyone catches their own mud bugs in GA for both bait and human consumption?

Thought I would ask since you don’t see a lot of this type stuff typically on the forum.
Hi FOLES55,
Yes, i am a total addict to mudbugging. I've laid traps in Quitman, Terrell, and Lee counties and have done quite well over the years. I make my own traps but am always trying to find a better way. Here's some pic's of what i'm using now:
traps1.jpgAs you can see, i've got quite a few. These were all ones repaired after turtle and gator damage over the last two years.
traps2.jpgThis pic shows the bait box(2.5inches square by 6 inches tall and a 6 inch length of 1 1/4 pvc pipe filled with quikrete.traps3.jpgOverall pic of 24 inch long trap prior to adding key ring and 30 feet of trotline cord.
traps4.jpgFunnel is made with 1/4 inch hardware cloth and 1/2 inch cloth for funnel mouth and trap cylinder.traps5.jpgAnybody know what species of crawfish this is? They were the majority in the quitman county traps instead of standard red swamps.

Now, as far as legality, i do catch an occasional spottail, chub, or other fish but these are all immediately released back to the water.
My ideal water to trap is a running creek, not too wide or deep, with lots of cover. Whether its downed timber, rocks, gravel, etc. and i want the trap to lay with the funnel end directly downstream.
I've made a couple of threads in the past and maybe it'll help you:
http://forum.gon.com/threads/bammers-crawfish-trap-pic-heavy.876275/
http://forum.gon.com/threads/crawfishing-in-september.927128/
http://forum.gon.com/threads/crawfishing-the-muck-2nd-trip.897712/

Last edited:

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
US Forest Service lands. They are very strict taking anything from there. That includes a rock !
I'd also add that WMA's are off limits. I inquired about crawfishing on Chickasawhatchee WMA and was told absolutely not.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
US Forest Service lands. They are very strict taking anything from there. That includes a rock !

You better not get caught collecting arrowheads or any artifacts off there or WMAs too.

RamblinWreck

I am shocked at the unmitigated audacity of these peasants, trying to eat the King's crawfish! Be off with ye! ::ke:

Cmp1

BANNED
Hi FOLES55,
Yrs, i am a total addict to mudbugging. I've laid traps in Quitman, Terrell, and Lee counties and have done quite well over the years. I make my own traps but am always trying to find a better way. Here's some pic's of what i'm using now:
View attachment 964961As you can see, i've got quite a few. These were all ones repaired after turtle and gator damage over the last two years.
View attachment 964962This pic shows the bait box(2.5inches square by 6 inches tall and a 6 inch length of 1 1/4 pvc pipe filled with quikrete.View attachment 964963Overall pic of 24 inch long trap prior to adding key ring and 30 feet of trotline cord.
View attachment 964964Funnel is made with 1/4 inch hardware cloth and 1/2 inch cloth for funnel mouth and trap cylinder.View attachment 964965Anybody know what species of crawfish this is? They were the majority in the quitman county traps instead of standard red swamps.
Might be a Rusty craw,,,,invasive,,,,

Now, as far as legality, i do catch an occasional spottail, chub, or other fish but these are all immediately released back to the water.
My ideal water to trap is a running creek, not too wide or deep, with lots of cover. Whether its downed timber, rocks, gravel, etc. and i want the trap to lay with the funnel end directly downstream.
I've made a couple of threads in the past and maybe it'll help you:
http://forum.gon.com/threads/bammers-crawfish-trap-pic-heavy.876275/
http://forum.gon.com/threads/crawfishing-in-september.927128/
http://forum.gon.com/threads/crawfishing-the-muck-2nd-trip.897712/

greg_n_clayton

You better not get caught collecting arrowheads or any artifacts off there or WMAs too.
Yes sir. That correct. I know people that that make a living poaching ginseng every year !! Every year you hear of someone getting caught with a little bit, but nothing compared to making a year's salary !! They work the remote areas, and go in there for days at a time and stay in the late fall. Be very hard to find/catch them unless they put their boots in ground. Maybe spot their campfire smoke !

Chap

I will not say where, but I was once on a trip in the N. GA mountains and saw a cool looking rock. I decided it would look awesome in my African cichlid aquarium. A few days later I realized just what a stupid (and possibly illegal) thing I had done.

"No, Mr. Forestry Officer, I don't know what rock you're talking about."

Chap

An uncle of mine used to have a crawdad rake. It's the open basket on a pole. Throw it out in the water and pull it back to you. When I was a kid me and my friends used to catch all kinds of stuff in it. Crawdads, turtles, mudpuppies, salamanders, fish, snakes!, you name it. It was a great way for a curious, outdoor-minded child to explore his local ecosystem.

Looking back, it probably wasn't a good idea to use it in the local ponds, or the cypress ponds that filled up during the spring rains and dried up over the summer. Dragging that basket over the bottom probably disturbed the bottom way too much. Last time I used one was about 15 years ago, but I used it in a drainage ditch, so I felt better about that issue. I still remember that day well for some reason, but yesterday is hazy.

Around here live craws are great for cats. Small craws do great for redbreast and shellcracker. But it only works if you can beat the mudfish off your line. I always keep a few crawdad lures, craw colored crankbaits, and soft craws on me.