CRAZIEST hunt of my life..

SmcWho31

I have been turkey hunting since spring of 2014. Starting in Ohio and settling in South Georgia spring of 2015 I didn't get to hunt much as I didn't know much land yet. This year (2016) was looking pretty promising as I gained access to hunt an awesome property that was loaded with birds. We worked some birds Saturday but they were hung up about 70 yards away. Saturday night we got one roosted and pin pointed the tree within 30 yards...it was on.

We get up Easter morning and get to the spot to set up and hour before sunrise. Woods wake up and we begin to play some turkey tunes. Couldn't have drew the morning up any better around 7:45am a big gobbler flew down and landed in our decoy set up and immediately started strutting and spitting. I get my bead on him and pull the trigger. Click. My gun had misfired and my buddy missed as he was flying away. I was sick, my first gobbler ever & I let him get away because of a gear malfunction.

Meanwhile the birds are still gobbling so we decide to get up and move 200 yards into the swamp bottom that I knew they had been known to travel. Walking into the woods to get set up my buddy trips and falls over a cypress stump he didn't see and lodges his barrel full of mud. Trying to clean it out with a stick that also breaks off in the barrel. Meanwhile the gobblers are fired up and they're coming in quick. As my buddy breaks his gun down to clean out the mud so we have one operational firearm I'm getting our decoys set up. I get back and sit down to get comfy and at this point the gobblers are 75 yards and closing the distance. Next thing you know my buddy tells me he has eyes on a bird the other direction that came in silent. At about 8:30am I pulled the trigger and connected a good ol knoggin rocker to my first gobbler & totally redeemed myself from what seemed like a morning destined for failure.

10 1/2" beard 1 1/4" spurs right at 20# & a story I will remember for the rest of my life.

gregg

Nice hunt, congrats....I had a misfire opening morning myself, curious what brand/type shell you were using? I was using Long Beard XR.

sman

Congrats! That is a strange morning.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Gonna go out on a limb and say you have a Benelli. If you do, you probably chambered the round gently so as not to make noise. That can be done, but unless you rotate the bolt further it will appear to be in battery but won't be-- the trigger will "click" but not discharge because the gun is not fully in battery. This is known as the dreaded "Benelli click". Nice recovery, however. Gil

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Congrats on your first bird. Its a nice one for sure.

Examine the shell and make sure the dent in the primer looks normal compared to one that went off. You want to make sure it was not something with your gun.

cmriner

Love these kind of stories that start off with any and everything goin wrong (besides any type of injuries of course),turning out with success. Way to stay at em and congrats!!

gregg

Just curious were you shooting a Mossberg 835?

I'm not the OP, but...I was shooting a Mossberg 835 with my misfire on the Long Beard XR.....I have however shot a pile of toms over the last 25ish years with it without any misfires. Also the primer appeared to be perfectly struck.

GobbleAndGrunt78

Yeah I've heard the 1st year Longbeard XR was made they had some bad primers that didn't go off in some guns, with the 835 being the main one. A lot of the 1st year shells are still out there

Yet to have an issue with my 935, the auto sister gun to the 835....but I assume the firing pin is completely different.

hikingthehills

I'm not the OP, but...I was shooting a Mossberg 835 with my misfire on the Long Beard XR.....I have however shot a pile of toms over the last 25ish years with it without any misfires. Also the primer appeared to be perfectly struck.
Thanks for the reply, I hunt with an 835 and longbeards as well. I pray I never hear that dreadful click. Haven't had any problems so far and I hope it stays that way.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
I use a 935 and langbeards. The first year the langbeards Came out I bought a few boxes.I have yet to have a problem. Knock on wood......