Credentails=?

herb mcclure

I realize this is not a subject or time of the season when most turkey people would be interested in anything but a hunting related topic. However, there is many newbie's that are coming to this turkey forum; especially this time of the year. There is not any subject about wild turkeys that is as important to me as the back and forth comments related to original wild turkeys; like the Mossy Head thread, submitted by RaynWhit last year, which has received many thousands of hits.

Having hunted bach-in-a-time when there were still original Eastern mountain turkeys living in the woods where I was introduced to turkey hunting and also, writing a book about those type turkeys.

I respect all other's opinions on this subject, especially serious comments and those who experienced these original wild turkeys regardless of where at.

In my opinion, the Appalachian Mountain's original wild turkeys have different characteristics than the lower costal and swamp turkeys. I will not go into any details about these characteristics; as one can pull-up Mossy Heads thread for remarks. I, will just say, from this forum It was pointed out that there some very small bodied turkeys that I was unaware of; and I do stand corrected on a comment I made.

Original wild turkeys were referred by different names in different locals. Mossy Heads being the most prevalent name in most places, but the original wild turkeys where I hunted and referred to were called Natives.

Having recently read in a new book, about the area where I have always hunted for wild turkeys; it inform me as to why; the original wild turkeys survived there; when they disappeared from almost everywhere else!

Yes, books contain knowledge and the title of this book is: Arthur Woody and the Legend of the Barefoot Ranger; by Duncan Dobbie. It is amazing at the research that went into this book and the photos. The background is about the old mountain way of life and the Blue Ridge wildlife area.The B R area is the oldest wildlife area in America. Woody was the responsible person for saving the original turkeys on the B R; from extinction. I recommend the reading of this great book to all turkey hunters; for knowledge.

Most of you forum regulars are familiar with my many comments. But; what credentials do I have to spout-off so often about original turkeys. Almost all credentials are educational background credentials. However, I fail when it comes to education. Any credentials I may have; have come from the woods where original wild turkeys have lived; since God created them on the Blue Ridge WMA; and not from education.

There are many of you turkey enthusiasts who have killed more turkeys than I have. However, this is not about how many turkeys has one killed. Not all places and condition are equal to killing.

Attached photo is in my log home. The turkey tail on the left side is from the second gobbler I killed in 1959; thanks to my mon; for saving the tail; all these years. The turkey tail on the right side is from the last gobbler that I will ever kill, which was in 2013 and I wrote a story about that. The beards between the tail represent about half of the turkeys I have seen killed; many other hunters have hunted with me! Hanging belowe the beards is an original American Native Chestnut burl; also from the B R area.

I still have a passion in me; to visit remote turkey woods where I have always hunted. Three afternoons this year, I have gone into those turkey woods; with camera and Leon's Turkey caller; staying there till night. Because of personal obligations; I can not go in the mornings there; don't hear any gobbles anyway. It takes me 3 hours to drive and walk, and climb; into those turkey woods; both going and coming back. The full moon this week was nice to see how to walk the Appalachian Trail after dark.
herb mcclure

Mr Herb, I'm not seeing a picture. I always enjoy reading your thoughts about our native turkeys. I also enjoyed Mr. Duncan's book, there is always something a little extra special about it when one can read books about local history and events. I pray the Lord allows you to walk the trail for as long as you have a desire to do so.

Last edited:

Johnny 71

Junebug
Ok I just bought the book, but I didn't see the picture either in your post

M Sharpe

Here is the photo Mr. Herb was referring to, a board full of memories!!

herb mcclure

Credentials=?

Mark Sharpe, yes I am indebted to you my friend for your help. As Mark knows and understands, I am of the old school world that has not come of age; in this modern day world. This goes for hunting gobblers, as well as trying to post a photo on this Turkey Talk. To pay my indebtedness's to you for your kind help. I am offering to you a shared turkey hunt into the mountains, where that mean old red-eyed gobbler lives, which you posted his photo on the thread: A COUPLE OF MOUNTAIN GOBBLERS; posted by IN THE MOUNTAINS; is who I believe was the author of that thread.

My apologies, for early readers; not having a photo.
herb mcclure

turkeykirk

Real nice!

M Sharpe

Thanks Mr. Herb, I'll take you up on that offer!!

Steve Roberts

Mr. Herb, I remember when I was just a young boy 9 or 10 years old, and my dad taking me in to Gibson's to show me all the big deer, and turkey's that you had killed!! That was at the time you were known as "THE MAN" at Gibson's store that was the big hunter!!! I knew of your credentials then, and also of them now!!! Like I have said before you have forgot more about turkey hunting than most of use will ever know!!! To see all of your turkey beards hanging on the wall makes me wonder how many you could have killed if you could have been able to hear like most of us. You have nothing to prove to me, because I have been in the woods with you, and saw first hand how difficult it was for you before all the high tech hearing products came along. My hat is off to you for your struggles with your hearing,and for not giving up!!! You will always be "THE MAN" at turkey hunting as far as I'm concerned!!! Good luck with the videoing this year, and hope you can do it for many, many more years!!! Steve Roberts

Last edited:

M Sharpe

I agree Steve!! I've know Mr. Herb for 4 years now and this will be our fourth year hunting together in those mountains that he and I both cherish so much! He has shown me so much about those mountains, the people that lived there and the birds that live amongst them!! Most folks think those mountains are loaded with birds! All they need to do is come try them, they will be well earned!! I come from the flat lands and I'll tell you the birds act differently here than they do there! When you walk 1 3/8 miles to a knob and kill a bird, you've earned him!! Last year, he and I hunted together and I can tell you, he was excited to hear a bird gobble. I feel bad that I shorted him on his video footage from the bird I killed; but, hopefully this year will be different....even if I have to leave my gun back at the room!!

Steve Roberts

Mark, when you go hunting with Mr. Herb you will always learn something. Whether it's about turkey hunting, or the way of life in the mountains Mr. Herb is a book of knowledge!!! You are right turkey's are few,and far between compared to the population of middle Ga. and the parts of South Ga. I've hunted in. Forget about trying to over call to them it might work on a 2 year old, but that's about it if then. Good luck on old red eye!!! That will be a trophy for sure!!!

herb mcclure

Credentials=?

A man is very forchent, to have friends like Steve and Mark.
We all are bounded together here on Turkey Talk; one way or another; because of our enjoyment with a wild turkey gobbler.

No matter how we like to hunt to kill a gobbler; our views and opinion can be very different, but the common interest in wild turkeys bonds us together.

I would like to recognize Mr. Jeff Carter, Ala's Timber 1, for his heart-felt and masterly worded post two years ago; on my thread "Blessed and Thankful". His describing what it used to mean; when someone was called a turkey hunter, is extaly the way it was. He, went on to tell, what would make him be a 'happy corps', if at his funeral someone would mention that he had been a turkey hunter. Well Jeff, I tend to be in the same school of respect for those old gone-by turkey hunters of yesteryears, and I would be happily pleased too; if some would mention that I had been a turkey man.

You see, there is something about a wild turkey that has bonded myself and them together. Even 5 years, before I was ever introduced to turkey hunting. From stories told from my grand-pa, who was born in1877 and turkey stories in outdoor publications; I have had a life's passion about wild turkeys. As I have become older, about all I am fit for now; is to thank back on how it was and meditate.

To shed some light as to why I don't kill wild gobbler's anymore. No one, except Joe Hutto, who raised and imprinted wild turkeys like I did; may understand my fleelings. In my book, I tell how a wild gobbler, 'Old Tom'; as I referred to him, came to my home place and lived there for 5 years. He and I became what I term that he was a turkey brother to me. This gobbler was more than a companion. I would never have killed him, and today that bonded relation between Old Tom and I; is why I will never kill any other turkey gobblers. Yes, the old passion fire to be with original native turkeys; their offspring, is just as strong as it ever was. It's just that I have no more desire to kill any of my turkey brothers now.
herb mcclure

Steve Roberts

A man is very forchent, to have friends like Steve and Mark.

Mr. Herb it has been a honor to know you all these years, and have you as a friend!!! My dad told me about you many years ago, and he thought the world of you!!!! Hard to believe he's been gone for nearly 15 years. I've got a Savage 220A single shot 16ga turkey gun I've built in his memory I want you to see. He always wanted a 16ga turkey gun because of his beloved Browning Sweet 16 bird gun. Before there were not any real good 16ga turkey loads, and now TSS shot came along, and the 16ga will make an outstanding turkey gun!!! Thanks for all that you have done, and for all the people you have helped introduce to turkey hunting!!! Steve Roberts