Cricket Tube vs Cricket Cage

SC Hunter

This box about 25/30 years old ...held a bunch of crickets and catalpa worms ....

My grandfather had something similar to that a long time ago that we put catalpa worms in. I can remember summers out of school meant I was going to be climbing trees to shake worms out for him waiting on the ground. I cant hardly find catalpa worms anymore like we did 10 to 15 years ago.

Artfuldodger

I've never seen any home made cages. I can still picture my Dad shaking those tubes like a crazy man.

Remember those old metal minnow buckets that cooked the minnows in the sun?

Fletch_W

Banned
As kids, we caught cave crickets from the basement, in our experience they didn't work as well as the storebought, but the best bait was grasshoppers from the field around the creek we fished. You could use bread, salmon egg, worm, and not get a nibble. You'd think there's no fish in the hole. Go get a grasshopper, toss it in, and the pool just starts boiling with fish going after it. Bait stores should get into the grasshopper business.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
My grandfather had something similar to that a long time ago that we put catalpa worms in. I can remember summers out of school meant I was going to be climbing trees to shake worms out for him waiting on the ground. I cant hardly find catalpa worms anymore like we did 10 to 15 years ago.
My trees just started showing small worms today. Be time to hit the creeks in a week or so.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Cricket question. Do the crickets you catch around the house work as good as the ones you buy?

If you're talking about black crickets,NO! I tried them many times never remember getting a nibble. Grub worms,earthworms of all descriptions,grasshoppers,roaches,meall worms,golden grubs,wasp and honeybee larva grass shrimp,crawfish,leeches,yellow jacket larva,catalpa worms, all will catch fish, don't get out of the yard if you only have black crickets. I forgot goldenrod worms and hellgrammites.

BoosterC

If you're talking about black crickets,NO! I tried them many times never remember getting a nibble.

I would have to disagree with you on black crickets. Growing up that is all I ever used. Had no trouble catching fish.

Also as a kid, it was a blast catching them. A little water around the edges of concrete/brick and grass. Wait a minute and the action was on.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I would have to disagree with you on black crickets. Growing up that is all I ever used. Had no trouble catching fish.

Also as a kid, it was a blast catching them. A little water around the edges of concrete/brick and grass. Wait a minute and the action was on.
Man I'm proud for you,maybe I wasn't holding my mouth right.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Man I'm proud for you,maybe I wasn't holding my mouth right.

Me either. I never caught a fish on a black cricket. And there was a heap of times I tried mighty hard. The fish around here just didn`t want nothing to do with em.