Crimson clover protien?

DC-08

How does it compare to perrenials and does anyone know the % protien? I have some in my foodplots that is getting tore up now. It will last until spring greenup and is easy and cheaper to grow. Mixed with grains and chicory, I may consider this over more expensive clovers if the protien is close. By the time the grains and crimson seed out the chicory should be growing good. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
DC

dominantpredator

White clovers are your best choice for longer lasting protein. Some people call this a 10 month clover because it is more tolerant to heat than the Crimson is. However, once green up occurs you will have to spray your field to kill the competive weeds out. As far as the percentage goes, it will vary. Alot will depend on your soil content. I do know you can't go wrong planting crimson....if done properly, you should have a good stand of the stuff next year to. I plant alot of clover, mostly for the turkeys...but the deer get a major boost too. If by chance you have a good stand of Kudzu, take care of it. It is higher in protein than soybeans are. I personally have a 5 acre stand of Kudzu the deer live in from late July to first frost. I also have feeders that I put protein pellets in for the deer. Overall , I believe year round protein for the herd will make the deer heavier, healthier, and larger racked .