Crossing the Ocmulgee

cdo1979

I once heard when Sherman's troops crossed the Ocmulgee they lost 2 cannons because of high water. Anyone else heard of this?

westcobbdog

Haven’t heard that story but can only imagine what lies beneath many of the waters both sides crossed crossed all over the South. Friend was telling me recently as a kid growing up near Kennesaw Mt he was at a friends house who showed him a sword buried in a creek. They broke it in half wrestling it out of the mud.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I once heard when Sherman's troops crossed the Ocmulgee they lost 2 cannons because of high water. Anyone else heard of this?

You may not be able to find evidence to that much detail, but you never know. Sherman’s men separated into 4 wings in the area south of Atlanta. Your question would concern the right wing.

Concentrate your research on them. Be aware that these moving Corps didn’t always use existing bridges. The engineering groups hauled pontoon bridges with them.

The best book I have read on the March to the sea is called “Southern Storm “ it gives lots of details

Research the historical markers of Ga. many of them are still standing but some are missing.

Good luck

cdo1979

You may not be able to find evidence to that much detail, but you never know. Sherman’s men separated into 4 wings in the area south of Atlanta. Your question would concern the right wing.

Concentrate your research on them. Be aware that these moving Corps didn’t always use existing bridges. The engineering groups hauled pontoon bridges with them.

The best book I have read on the March to the sea is called “Southern Storm “ it gives lots of details

Research the historical markers of Ga. many of them are still standing but some are missing.

Good luck
Thanks

oldguy

I can't imagine reading a book about The march to the sea. The fact that they (Yanks) did it is enough to make my blood boil!Then folks get all whiney about Andersonville. No sympathy here!

westcobbdog

I can't imagine reading a book about The march to the sea. The fact that they (Yanks) did it is enough to make my blood boil!Then folks get all whiney about Andersonville. No sympathy here!

Just remember the yanks were much better supplied with everything from foods to medicines yet 10’s of thousands of our boys died in their **** hole prisons including camp Douglas just outside Chicago.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Anything of any weight at all dropped in any river in Georgia will be at the mercy of the current and covered with sand. They`ll be down at the hard pan level.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member

I have dozens of books about that war and all sorts of other history. Why would you not want to learn from history?

oldguy

I have dozens of books about that war and all sorts of other history. Why would you not want to learn from history?
History's one thing. Reading about the yanks invading our homeland is something else. But then again I get very sad just passing through the battlefield monuments near Atlanta. Same reason I've chosen not to visit the Wall in DC.
Speaking of learning from history have you ever read Street Without Joy or **** in a Very Small Place ? We (U. S. of A.) sure didn't learn much from that history did we?
Just finished reading Code Talker about the Navajo messengers in WWII. Waiting on No Surrender, My Thirty Years War about the Japanese soldier that held out in the Philippines for 30 years after WWII!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
The war in Georgia was fairly short time wise compared to Virginia. The Dyanks invaded there in 1861 and stayed continuously until the wars end.

Last edited:

Deerhead

Wow I learn so much on this site. I use to hunt on the west side of the Ocmulgee. After reading this and other related articles its where Sherman and Kirkpatrick crossed. There was a cemetery on the property. Old foundations where houses once were. I always though they meet their fate during the civil war. I always wanted to metal detect around there but we lost our hunting rights years ago. The land has been sold and is now privately owned. Thanks for sharing.

Millwright1055

Hey Y'all
I don't post much, I mostly read the good articles here on GON.
I wanted to add some of my experiences here on this thread.

I avidly fish, hunt, swim and search the ocamulgee river where the shermans northern Invaders crossed.

I have found square iron rods driven in a line across the granite shoals from one side of the river to the other.
The locals have told me these were to hold the bridge pontoons in place.
Last summer I also found large hewn timbers sticking out of the muddy bank on the Jasper county side.

Several hundred yards above this a small tributary runs -out- of the ocamulgee then runs back into the river about a 1/2 down. This forms a ten acre island.(no name as far as I know)
On the back side of this island is bridge shoring as well.

I can't be positive about the purpose of the wooden timbers but it is very old and the mud has preserved it well.

I've also spoken to land owners farther down the river that make the claim that Sherman's army also crossed above Wise Creek. This makes sense to me.
That's where 40 acre is located.
That's the island where Sherman had over 800 -spent- horses and mules killed to keep the local civilian population from using them.
It was at this lower bridge where the cannon were supposedly spilled.
If it did happen then they're still there because all this section of the ocamulgee is rock and shoals with a few deep holes along the way.
I get into these area by canoe and kayak, the waters to swift for anything else.
I have found the stretch of river from hwy 16 to the wise creek landing to be some of the finest fishing in n ga.
I hope this answers a few questions
Y'all have a good day.

cdo1979

A good read. Thanks for sharing.

As stated above you really should get a copy of “Southern Storm”. The writer compiled records about the March from all different perspectives. Residents, Confederates, and Union soldiers, etc.
I'll look for it at the library next week