custom build??

GADawg08

I've got a remington 700 adl in .270 that I'm wanting to have built into a .280 ackley improved. This will be a hunting rifle so I'm not looking to break the bank but would like to get as much bang for my buck as possible. What are some stocks, barrels, scopes. etc that you guys would recommend? Would you guys leave it as an adl or convert to bdl? Would there be a significant enough advantage to making it into a .280 AI vs. .270? I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dub

JMN1976

not enough advantage if you ask me to justify the cost if your a casual deer hunter?

if your a shooter/reloader and like to tinker then it makes sense as it then becomes a form of entertainment to experiment with. If you like to do the work yourself you can turn it into a remlage and use a barrel nut to set headspace or just leave the 270 ADL alone and go buy a used Savage action and build on that platform.

the 280AI can give 7mag performance with little less powder and not having to deal with belted case. I don't think the recoil difference with 7mag would even be noticeable at all. If you do go 280AI I would suggest a 24" barrel minimum to get max velocity results from the slower burning powders especially with the heavier bullet weights 150, 160, 175. Anything in the 7mm/.284 gives alot of bullet selection

Bluemoose

I had ER Shaw build me a Mark VII in 280 Ackley IMP and I love it. Works well with many different bullet weights and styles. Plus in a pinch you can shoot 280 remington factory loads and fire form your brass. I also had a break installed. Felt recoil is less than a 243IMG_0258.JPG

Reactions: Dub

Buckstop

Have upgraded a few of my M700's like that. Just watched the classifieds on accurate shooter or long range forum for a good deal on a quality new barrel. Also have got one from bugholes. Lots of good barrel makers out there. I've had good luck with brux myself. I have a local smith that trues the action, chambers & crowns the barrel and installs a heavier aftermarket recoil lug.

In the more affordable range of stocks, Bell & Carlson or HS Precision are usually good drop ins. They can be found online as a package too with aftermarket BDL bottom metal. Or just watch the classifieds for used take-off stocks or BDL bottom metal. Stocky's and Boyds are cheaper stock alternatives but might require a little more fitting depending on model. I then bed the action in the stock myself. Plenty of good videos online on that. Pretty easy actually, just don't skimp on the prep.

Trigger gets an upgrade to a Timney. They are a very easy di it yourself install on a 700.

Your main gain by going 280AI over 270 win would be in longer range performance. Depending on range you are building it for, you wouln't notice much difference inside of 300 yrds. The main gain other than energy for the 280AI would be the ability to shoot the higher BC heavier .284 diameter bullets. They tend to hold stability and accuracy in longer ranges. These require a faster twist like 1 in 8" or 1 in 9". Most 270 barrels are 1 in 10". Read up on it so you get the right twist for what you plan to shoot.

When your done you'll have something that will shoot as good as anything out there.

nmurph

If you are wanting more accuracy, a trigger replacement is the quickest, cheapest, and easiest improvement in a 700. I replaced one in a 270 and one in a 30-06 last year. This group ws shot at 100yds from a 270 that wouldn't do better than a 2.5" last year with the same box of bullets. I had a similar improvement in the '06.

Attachments

• PSX_20181207_002641.jpg
    PSX_20181207_002641.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 0

leoparddog

Have you considered getting the barrel rebored to .284 and getting it rechambered? I think it is doable, going from.277 to .284. There are gunsmiths who have a good reputation for reboring barrels.