Custom Call makers Show in Unicoi

Thread starter #1

M Sharpe

Russell Beard and myself wanted to do something for the custom call makers and the hunters alike. To rekindle the fire of Unicoi and make it what it once was. I am delighted to announce that next year, there will be a show. Unicoi was more than excited to hear we where wanting to put on a show there. This show has nothing to do with the NWTF. It has everything to do with those that love the art of call making and the lore of hunting wily ol' gobblers!
This event will take place in January of next year. A special room rate will be offered for those wanting to spend the night. We are hoping to resurrect this show and make it what it once was. I've already had a good number of call makers interested in attending.
If you have any questions, shoot me or Russell a pm and we'll give a number so you can talk with us about the show.

Mark

Last edited:
Just let me know when it is and I'll swing through and have a look see.

Thread starter #6

M Sharpe

Good news. Let me know if I can be of any assistance with getting the word out in my area such as contacting call makers, getting flyers out,etc...Strutter.
Thanks David! We need all the help we can get to bring this show back!!!

You get your call yet?

Will do our best to keep everyone updated!

Custom Call makers Show at UNICOI

Mark, as you know I cannot make a call, but I can talk turkey hunting and I will be there, our Lord's willing.
Great news for Eastern Turkey Hunters of the Southeast.
THIS HAS MADE MY DAY AND NIGHT. THANKS
herb mcclure

Luke0927

Cant make any calls but I'd be happy to attend.

ryanwhit

Cool! Looking forward to seeing how this progresses and hope I'll be able to attend!!

Thread starter #12

M Sharpe

Thanks guys, I've already got a good many of the call makers ready for this to take place. And from, what I've read and listened to from the turkey world, to move it back to Unicoi. That has happened. Now we just need you! It is going to take people wanting custom calls also to make this a success.
This gathering will not be about just buying and selling, it will be about coming together with others that share the same passion as yourself. There is no banquet, just plain ol' fellowship.....a gathering!
What I will need is something in writing (from vendors), as this event draws nearer, such as an email or snail mail to turn into the staff at Unicoi. As it stands now, the dates are January 15th, 16th and possibly the 17th, 2016.
Mark your calendars and help us, the whole turkey hunting society, make this a success!
If you're interested, pm me and I'll sent you my phone number and email address.

Mark

Last edited:
Sounds great! Will plan on being there.

deuce1

This is awesome. Thanks Mark and Russell. If the good Lord willing I will be there. Always wanted to be apart of Unicoi; hopefully this will be the new beginning.

Stuck up top. Hey Mark how about starting up a fb event page for it?

Custom Call makers Show at UNICOI

I tip my hat, to Mr. Sharpe, and Mr. Beard, for their concern and efforts to rekindle the turkey hunter's event at UNICOI, which goes back years and years before hardly any of this forum's posters, even had knowledge their was a wild turkey in the world.

UNICOI, was the top drawing turkey show at one time, with most of those-day's very top turkey call makers and celebrities of the turkey world, coming from all over the UNITE STATES.

I myself, are very honored, to have been chosen to give the very first program, about turkeys and turkey hunting there in the very first UNICOI Turkey event; 1975 was the year.

Mr. Bob Stack, park manager, contacted me at the Gibson Sporting Goods Store where I worked. He asked me if I would come to UNICOI, to talk and show my turkey photos and movies, which I had made, with old Kodak Super 8 movie camera. Also, the late MR. Arron Pass of the GA. GAME AND FISH COMM., their PR person and editor. Arron was master of ceremony for this event. I gave them an seminar talk on turkey hunting and showing slides and movies, which I had made. This turkey event was held outdoors under a pavilion at the camping area that first year. Local mountain turkey hunters were the majority there, a few from Gainesville and other local towns mostly hunted in middle GA. turkey woods.

The next year, I again was chosen, to do the same as the year before, except this time the turkey event was held indoors and many more hunters came.

From these earlier turkey programs held there; became the UNICOI Wild Turkey Calling Contest, Seminars, Custom Call Makers, and the Turkey Hunters talking to each other , which was known as the Turkey Hunter's Weekend , at UNICOI.

herb mcclure