Custom Rods

sbroadwell

Hi - I have been making a few posts over in the Fishing section, and just saw this. For the past few years I have been making rods, and a few months ago decided to try to sell them.
So far, it's working out really well. Sold over 30 this year, including to 5 or so people on this board. I am NOT trying to do this full time; it wouldn't be possible to make a living, but I can do 4-5 a month. So far, I am staying busy.
I can build all sorts of rods, on any blank. Lately I've built out St. Croix and G*Loomis blanks. If someone asks my recommendation, though, I would go with Rainshadow every time.
The pic attached is one of my specialties - a split grip light casting rod. We've caught hybrid up to 12# with this type rod, and it will cast something as light as a Roostertail.
If you think you want to move up to a custom rod, tailored exactly for you, with your name on it, and wraps of your choosing, send me a PM or check out my site:
www.bcrods.com

Steve Broadwell

Attachments

• split grip 4.JPG
    split grip 4.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 383

Burl E.

Cool! What does a custom rod cost?
:huh:

sbroadwell

It can vary tremendously. Using a G*Loomis, St. Croix, or Lamiglas blank, anywhere from $220 - $400. I build a lot of rods on the Rainshadow RX7 (similar in modulas to a Loomis IMX). With the customers name, a simple buttweave, and a conventional cork handle, about $130. A split grip adds about $25.
I usually go ahead and add some fancy little touches, like single thread inlays in the guide wraps. It takes more time, but I just like to do this. I'll post a pic when I get one resized.

sbroadwell

OK, here is a single thread inlay. In this pic (a light crappie spinning rod, for an Auburn fan), the main color is blue, but there are orange single threads inlaid. This is hard to do, and took me awhile to learn how. I think things like this should be on a rod that you pay so much for.
You really can't see the locking wrap from this angle. I'll take one of the rod I'm working on now and post it later.

Attachments

• Inlay resize.jpg
    Inlay resize.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 368

sbroadwell

Thanks, Trizey
There are 3 things that you need to worry about with a custom rod, or any rod, really. First, and probably least important, is how it looks. This is not too important for the fishability, but you want a rod to look good.
Second is fishability - how the rod casts, how it plays a big fish, etc. This you can't tell until you use it, but it is easy to tell once you put a line in the water.
The third thing is how solidly it is built, and you can only tell this after a long time. You don't want the guides to pull out, or the seat to start spinning around, or the handles to come loose. I spend a lot of time doing everything exactly right, and have never had a problem.

Here is the locking wrap on a rod in progress. It doesn't have the epoxy yet, so you can see it. There are three thread wraps around the foot of the guide, and a total of four (blocking wraps) in front of the guide. This absolutely will not pull loose; the guide will break first.

Attachments

• Locking wrap.JPG
    Locking wrap.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 354

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
That is some outstandin` work there! :cheers:

sbroadwell

nicodemus said:
That is some outstandin` work there! :cheers:

Hey, thanks. I've seen some of yours on here too - fantastic.
I have lived 56 years, and never been the least bit artistic. Now, I'm getting a real kick out of making rods, doing all sorts of fancy thread stuff.

sbroadwell

I wanted to post this pic from the fishing section. I think it is the biggest fish so far caught with one of my rods. It's a big drum, over 20#, caught in Florida by Steven.
This was caught with a pretty light rod - a 6'10" blank, with a very light, sensitive tip. It is really designed for dropshotting. Steven has a lot of fishing talent!
Also, I guess if my rods hold up to this, the fish around here won't be much of a problem. Those saltwater fish really put up a fight.

Attachments

• big fish.jpg
    big fish.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 296

sbroadwell

In the "old days" of custom rodmaking, fancy butt wraps were popular. I think these are coming back.
Here is a simple diamond wrap I did on a rod with a UGA theme. Red and black, with a holographic silver accent.
I've done these in UGA, Alabama, Auburn and Tennessee colors so far. I just figured out how to put the school logo on too.

Attachments

• Ga Buttweave.jpg
    Ga Buttweave.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 246

sbroadwell

Hey, Headshot, thanks.
Sometimes, though, I worry that people will think the fancy stuff is all there is in custom rods. True, you can have whatever colors, patterns, etc. you want. What is not so obvious, though, is the way you can build a rod to do a better job fishing.
I was really pretty surprised myself at all the guys who have told me they have never had such a sensitive rod, one that would cast so well, stuff like that.

sbroadwell

Thanks, Ljay
I just got an order for a Loomis GLX rod. When I get the blank in and get it all finished, I will take a pic and post it. Making it for a guy in Carrollton. He has bought two Rainshadows from me, and says they are the best rods he has ever used. Now, he wants the same construction on a GLX. This is gonna be a nice rod!
I will use the same blue with gold inlays that I used on the other two for him. In fact, I think I posted a pic of one of his other rods - the pic that shows the locking wrap on the previous page.

steven

Steve is truly a great rod builder and the two rods he built for me are wonderful and very pretty. I went with the rainshadow blanks and they are great I fish alot and own a couple loomis rods but really cant tell the difference except the rainshadows feel lighter to me and the costom handles really make a difference. I am not trying to sell these rods for steve but when I find a good product I tell people because they are so hard to find these days. Hey steve saturday I caught a 28 pound flat head at hartwell on the same rod I caught the big drum on I was dropshotting and he nailed it but I landed him.

sbroadwell

Man, Steven, that is awesome. First a big saltwater fish, and now a big flathead, all on a rod that is really meant for dropshotting. You gotta have pretty good ability to get them in.
Both rods I did for Steven are on the same blank, a 6'10" Rainshadow special dropshotting blank. One of his is casting, and one is spinning. This blank has a pretty hefty butt, but a REAL light tip. Both have split grips, which are the best thing around after you get used to them.

sbroadwell

Fantastic Rod

A fella in Carrollton has bought two rods from he. He went with a spiral wrap on the first one, where the guides spiral around the blank on a casting rod and end up on the bottom.
He liked this, and on the second he went a little farther and went with a split grip, too. He told me that this was the best feeling handle he has ever used.
A few weeks ago, he went to the ultimate - a Loomis GLX blank. These are hard to find, and I just got the blank in yesterday. But, I think it was worth the wait!
I have the handle on (another split grip, of course), and am in the process of positioning the guides just right. Tape them on, do a pull test, then get out in the yard and cast. Move the guides around til casting is just perfect.
I can already tell this is gonna be a nice rod! It handles like a dream!
When I get the rod finished I'll try to borrow a camera and post a pic. But, there is no way to take a pic of the way the rod feels.

sbroadwell

Finally got the logos down

I finally got the process down pat for making logos. Here is a sample, on a dowel, of what I will be doing for an Auburn fan. I will also make a UGA sample also.

Attachments

• Auburn.JPG
    Auburn.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 123