Cutting the barrel

Geezer Ray

I have a Savage Axis II in 7MM 08 coming and it has a 22" barrel I believe. If the barrel was shortened to 18" what will this do to the accuracy and recoil? Not a high dollar gun so I don't mind experiminting a little. Where I hunt 100 yards is a long shot. Also can this be done at home by someone who is mechcanicaly inclined?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
the crown you put back on the cut barrel will improve/destroy the accuracy of the barrel, depending on how well it is done. Probably have a bit more muzzle blast too. I doubt it will help recoil at all.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Totally agree with Pappy. The actual recoil will be the same. The perceived recoil will be heavier due to the additional muzzle blast. I like short rifles and hunted with short .308 barrels for decades.

Geezer Ray

I am more concerned with effects on accuracy. I hunted a Remington 788 in 308 carbine and believe me it would rock my world unless actualy shooting at table meat. Then I never felt it.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Accuracy will be improved (microscopically) with a good crown because of the stiffer barrel. Velocity will be lost so you will have more "drop" more quickly and will have to raise the zero if you plan to shoot 150+.

Geezer Ray

Thank you all for the input. Velocity loss and trajectory drop seems to be minimum inside 100 yards. Never shot a 7MM08 but from what I have read I exspect less recoil just from the caliber change, 308 and 270 to 7MM08. So at least for me the shorter gun to manuver around in the thickets seems like a win.

weagle

It's pretty easy to do at home. The main thing you will need to buy is a crowning tool. Cut it with a hack saw, square it up with a file or belt sander and use the crowning tool to finish it. Give yourself an extra 1/2" to work with and you can re-crown several times if necessary to get a good square crown and good accuracy.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I cut down a Ruger M77 30-06 to 16-1/4 just to hunt those brush covered hillsides where you can't stand up. I put a 1.5 power scope on it to help with picking up a shot quickly. It is very accurate and does a great job, right up til twilight. If you shoot at twilight, it takes your eyes several seconds to adjust because of the muzzle blast. It looks like a Gemini rocket taking off.

Geezer Ray

I cut down a Ruger M77 30-06 to 16-1/4 just to hunt those brush covered hillsides where you can't stand up. I put a 1.5 power scope on it to help with picking up a shot quickly. It is very accurate and does a great job, right up til twilight. If you shoot at twilight, it takes your eyes several seconds to adjust because of the muzzle blast. It looks like a Gemini rocket taking off.

This is basically why I want to cut it. I mainly hunt in thickets with little possibility of long shots. So for maneuverability I want the shorter barrel. Besides there is always the 4th of July for the grandkids.

hayseed_theology

It's pretty easy to do at home. The main thing you will need to buy is a crowning tool. Cut it with a hack saw, square it up with a file or belt sander and use the crowning tool to finish it. Give yourself an extra 1/2" to work with and you can re-crown several times if necessary to get a good square crown and good accuracy.

What he said.

WoodlandScout82

I build a lot of cut down "scout rifles". Like all of the above said, the crown is more important than barrel length for accuracy. I recrown every barrel with an 11 degree recessed target crown , thread them, then machine a muzzle brake or flash hider to tame the recoil and blast.

bighonkinjeep

It will not noticeably affect either recoil or accuracy. The handling characteristics will be greatly improved and I highly recommend the change.

You can also put a very nice crown on one using a Lee case cutter and pilot chucked up in a drill if you're looking for a DIY economy solution.

Geezer Ray

I did the cut but I had a gunsmith do it along with putting a rust proof coating on it. Took it to the range and I need more practise but it shot great. Gunsmith also told me the recoil for the 7MM08 was not going to be noticabally better than my 308. He was right again. I was hoping for a deer.hog gunn with old man recoil. Oh well.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I have always felt the same about the .308 and 7mm-08 recoil too. Then all those folks say it is so much less.

bighonkinjeep

If you hand load and want "old man" recoil look no further than H4895 using Hodgdons reduced recoil formula/data. I load it all the time in .308 with 125gr NBTs, SSTs and 130gr TTSX for the "young uns", I have got to where I like to shoot them a lot myself. There is also factory reduced recoil ammo available in Remington managed recoil and Hornady custom light. You'll probably have to order the ammo though if factory stuff is your option because few retailers seem to keep it in stock.