CWD DETECTED IN ALABAMA DEER; HELP PREVENT SPREAD TO GEORGIA

lampern

Which states want deer eradication?

Name them. Name one.

North Carolina.

Unlimited deer tags for years until they were forced to stop by the new deer biologist.

10 dollars for two antlerless tags. As many as you wanted to buy and use.

The farmers wanted the deer shot out of the soybeans.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
North Carolina.

Unlimited deer tags for years until they were forced to stop by the new deer biologist.

10 dollars for two antlerless tags. As many as you wanted to buy.

Just ridiculous but the farmers wanted the deer shot out of the soybeans.

Is that the best you can do, Lampern? Come on, you can do better than that. Name some.

Most states, huh?

lampern

Liberal limits are liberal limits.

Deer herds are down generally across the board but states still want to shoot them down.

CWD is an excuse to do so.

Sorry but the days of liberal limits should be over.

lampern

I'll give Florida credit.

They seem to be the only eastern state that has never gotten "crazy" with doe limits.

That may change if CWD is found there though

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I think one key to helping is effective communication by all states.
Something like mass communication by mail, tv, radio, internet, etc. There a plenty of hunters who even in 2022 don't read places like this.

snooker1

Quetions for the expert C.Killmaster. About a year ago I was watching a TV show and the host stated that deer infected with CWD would die within a few weeks, today I was reading an article which stated that deer may live for up to two years after contracting CWD? Is this a case where a deer can get the protein but doesn't contract CWD for a while or is there an incubation period? Is the state continuously testing for CWD? If so how are they testing?

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
CK, I hunt some in Heard county and have been concerned about disease for a while after shooting a couple of odd looking deer with some type of wasting effects. Diminished muscle in the pelvic region up through the backstraps...not saying it's CWD but are there other diseases that cause wasting? Plus the herd seems severely reduced overall in the last 10 years. Tons of coyotes too, that I am sure is not helping at all. Any ideas? Is this something you're familiar with? Heard county of course borders alabama but not in the exact area of immediate concern...looking for answers, it may just be an overly hunted area of the county...fantastic terrain and cover though, looks like deer density would be through the stratosphere

Hemorrhagic disease and pneumonia will cause that, both are fairly common. I've heard a few others say that Heard county has declined recently, but harvest doesn't seem to reflect that. It has a slightly higher harvest per square mile than any adjacent county and pretty consistent harvest rate with the rest of the Piedmont and harvest isn't declining over time. Now the Piedmont as a whole is lower density than it was 20 years ago by design, but that decline would have occurred from 2000 to the early 20-teens not just in the last 10 years. It actually takes CWD decades to build prevalence high enough to start causing population declines.

Last edited:

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Quetions for the expert C.Killmaster. About a year ago I was watching a TV show and the host stated that deer infected with CWD would die within a few weeks, today I was reading an article which stated that deer may live for up to two years after contracting CWD? Is this a case where a deer can get the protein but doesn't contract CWD for a while or is there an incubation period? Is the state continuously testing for CWD? If so how are they testing?

CWD has a long incubation period, it's possible there could be some confusion with hemorrhagic disease. It could possibly be the time between symptoms show up and when the deer dies that he was referring to? Incubation is 18 to 24 months from exposure to death.

Regarding testing, most of our samples come from deer processors and taxidermists. We also try to get samples off every sick deer we can logistically get our hands on. Our surveillance strategy ranks all 159 counties based on a wide variety of risk factors such as presence of captive deer facilities, past sampling in the county, # of processors and taxidermists and how they handle waste disposal, and proximity to known positive areas in other states. We've been sampling continuously since 2002.

Timberjack86

Liberal limits are liberal limits.

Deer herds are down generally across the board but states still want to shoot them down.

CWD is an excuse to do so.

Sorry but the days of liberal limits should be over.
In middle TN you can kill 3 does a day every day of deer season. Used to be plenty of deer in that particular deer unit, now your lucky to see a deer. Yet the liberal limits remain the same.

ucfireman

On July 10, 2017, the scientists presented a summary of the study’s progress (access the recorded presentationExternalexternal icon), in which they showed that CWD was transmitted to monkeys that were fed infected meat (muscle tissue) or brain tissue from CWD-infected deer and elk. Some of the meat came from asymptomatic deer that had CWD (i.e., deer that appeared healthy and had not begun to show signs of the illness yet). Meat from these asymptomatic deer was also able to infect the monkeys with CWD.

https://www.cdc.gov/prions/cwd/transmission.html

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
On July 10, 2017, the scientists presented a summary of the study’s progress (access the recorded presentationExternalexternal icon), in which they showed that CWD was transmitted to monkeys that were fed infected meat (muscle tissue) or brain tissue from CWD-infected deer and elk. Some of the meat came from asymptomatic deer that had CWD (i.e., deer that appeared healthy and had not begun to show signs of the illness yet). Meat from these asymptomatic deer was also able to infect the monkeys with CWD.

https://www.cdc.gov/prions/cwd/transmission.html

I'm surprised CDC even mentions that on their website since that study was never peer-reviewed or published, at least they point out the same study conducted in the US that showed the opposite (i.e. the monkeys did not contract CWD).

That study they mention from 2017 has still not been peer-reviewed or published. I saw in person presentations on both the US and Canadian studies in 2018 and sat next to the US researcher at lunch that day. He seemed pretty skeptical of the Canadian findings (again, where is their publication?) Here's a letter discussing the discrepancy between the two projects.

https://journals.asm.org/doi/10.1128/mBio.01971-20

"While the authors acknowledged the unpublished nature of the work, a thorough review of the scientific literature on this topic published in 2017 (1) found no evidence for transmission of CWD to CM. Moreover, in 2018, Race et al. (7) found no evidence for transmission of CWD to CM using multiple tests, even 11 to 13 years after being “inoculated by either the intracerebral or oral route with brain homogenates from CWD-infected deer and elk containing high levels of infectivity.” Finally, attempts to infect transgenic mice expressing human prion proteins, arguably the best model for human infection, have also failed (see references 1 and 8 for reviews and caveats). Verification that CWD can breach the cervid-human barrier or infect human-like primates would have profound implications for millions of hunters and their families who consume cervid meat, for wildlife management, and for CWD management (3, 4). If available, such evidence should be borne out expediently. Otherwise, it is essential that the record be clearly and accurately stated. Nonetheless, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence (9)—the potential for CWD transmission to humans is real, and the precautionary measures proposed by Osterholm et al. are warranted."

ucfireman

Thanks CK
I have an different question about a similar disease.
Mad Cow? I know there have been outbreaks and cattle destroyed. How do they "clean" the area up before putting cattle back on the land to prevent further outbreaks?
Has there been studies to see how long an area would have to be devoid of infected animals before the prions or proteins are no longer a threat?

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Thanks CK
I have an different question about a similar disease.
Mad Cow? I know there have been outbreaks and cattle destroyed. How do they "clean" the area up before putting cattle back on the land to prevent further outbreaks?
Has there been studies to see how long an area would have to be devoid of infected animals before the prions or proteins are no longer a threat?

Mad cow was only transmissible orally, as in they fed cow protein back to cows (cannibalism). Once they banned that practice it resolved. Mad cow didn't transmit among live animals through bodily fluids like CWD and scrapie in sheep does. As far as environmental persistence goes, CWD has been documented to persist and reinfect captive deer from contaminated research pens 2 years later. That's not exactly areal-world scenario though, those pens would represent extremely high relative deer densities so it may not translate equally to a free-ranging population.

GAoutdoor

As an update to AL, they are pushing hard to determine the severity of the outbreak and contain it. Below from the ALDCNR:

“There has been some misinformation shared on social media. We’re not trying to starve people by killing all the deer. We’re not trying to eradicate the deer. We need to know if it’s one deer with CWD there or 10 or 100. The best way we can do that is for hunters to bring us samples.”

Sykes said if there is a silver lining in the positive CWD case in Lauderdale County, it’s because it was discovered in January.

“Unlike Mississippi, where they found their first case of CWD in February, we found it during deer season from a hunter-harvested deer,” he said. “The hunters did what we needed them to do by bringing us samples this past weekend.

The new regulations also control the transportation of harvested deer. Carcasses and other deer parts harvested within the HRZ must remain within the HRZ. Carcasses and other deer parts harvested within the Buffer Zone must remain within the CMZ. Carcasses or other deer parts cannot be moved outside the HRZ or CMZ. Deboned meat, cleaned skull plates and raw hides with no visible brain or spinal cord tissue may be taken outside of these zones.

The fact that we are discussing disease within a population of wildlife when disease is often THE controlling factor in population control is telling.
Yet, the shooters among us, who can't fill their limit, are complaining that there's not enough deer.

JMO, but we are way over carrying and social carrying capacity. We have more deer now than when Desoto or Bartram did their walk through.
Virgin timber supports few deer, successional and edge is prime deer habitat.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
The fact that we are discussing disease within a population of wildlife when disease is often THE controlling factor in population control is telling.
Yet, the shooters among us, who can't fill their limit, are complaining that there's not enough deer.

JMO, but we are way over carrying and social carrying capacity. We have more deer now than when Desoto or Bartram did their walk through.
Virgin timber supports few deer, successional and edge is prime deer habitat.

Disease isn't usually the controlling factor in large prey, it's usually predators. If you take predators out of the equation disease alone won't control a deer population.