Cypress Walking Stick...

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Went on a Woods Walkabout this morning, and along the way I found a nice piece of cypress for a new walking stick.

Just kinda rough whittled, stained with brown leather dye, sew on a leather handle, thong, and a shotgun hull for the foot.

Too easy.

IMG_20220410_172625874.jpg

IMG_20220410_172634548.jpg

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Went on a Woods Walkabout this morning, and along the way I found a nice piece of cypress for a new walking stick.

Just kinda rough whittled, stained with brown leather dye, sew on a leather handle, thong, and a shotgun hull for the foot.

Too easy.

View attachment 1145784

View attachment 1145785
I like your walking stick! I make one every now and then myself.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Nice looking stick.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I won't go turkey hunting without a walking stick. Four seasons ago, a bird gobbled on an island separated by about 400 yards of wadable tupelo swamp from where I stood. Air temps were in the low 30's; water temps not as cold. I was without a stick. I stumbled on a submerged limb and went down to my knees. A stick would have prevented the stumble. I got the bird, btw, and cut oak saplings the next day. Spray both ends with spray paint which helps prevents end split as the sapling will then dry from the non-sprayed area of the stick slowly. Gil

I generally use hickory to make my walking sticks or hiking staffs. Cut when sap is down, and the bark will stay tight on the stick when dried. Usually leave in my attic or in the top of my workshop for a year or two to fully dry. Lightly sand and then a light coat of satin poly to finish. You could whip a bear with one of these without it breaking.

longrangedog

Carolina silverbell (some call it mountain silverbell) makes a strong, lightweight walking stick that in my opinion is far superior to other species.