CZ 527 Carbine 7.62 X 39

JSnake

Hornady steel case 123 grain SST.
Just collecting some anecdotal evidence, did the SST exit?

That's a terrific rifle. I bought a CZ550 mannlicher in .308 and love it.

Thread starter #25

Gator89

Just collecting some anecdotal evidence, did the SST exit?

That's a terrific rifle. I bought a CZ550 mannlicher in .308 and love it.
In this case, no exit. However the deer was at 18 steps facing me, with a slight turn to its left. The bullet entered about 2 inches in front of the right shoulder. The rib cage on the deer's left side was blood shot on the outside, but not exited. The buck was DRT, bang/flop.

I have shot deer with SST's with my 308, they did pass through the ribs and produce an easy to follow blood trail.

jmoser

I see the Ruger American is 1:10 twist; same as my mini-30 which did NOT like 150 gr ammo.

Neat little rifle; tempting to match my mini-30.

JSnake

In this case, no exit. However the deer was at 18 steps facing me, with a slight turn to its left. The bullet entered about 2 inches in front of the right shoulder. The rib cage on the deer's left side was blood shot on the outside, but not exited. The buck was DRT, bang/flop.

I have shot deer with SST's with my 308, they did pass through the ribs and produce an easy to follow blood trail.
Thanks! I shot one quartering away at 40-50 yds, aiming for an exit out of the far shoulder with a 150gr .308 SST. He was dead in 50 yards but it didn't exit and there was virtually no blood. I've heard other people with similar experiences with SSTs.

Thread starter #29
Thanks! I shot one quartering away at 40-50 yds, aiming for an exit out of the far shoulder with a 150gr .308 SST. He was dead in 50 yards but it didn't exit and there was virtually no blood. I've heard other people with similar experiences with SSTs.
I shot a buck 40 - 50 yards with a 280 and SST's square into the right shoulder, buck reared up, then ran 10 yards and fell in the pipeline I was watching. There was no exit wound, but I recovered the bullet just under the hide on the left shoulder, perfect mushroom. Expecting an expanding projectile fired from a non-magnum rifle to exit through one or both shoulders of a grown deer is bordering on unrealistic. You certainly should get pass through on ribcage shots. I have shot deer in the shoulders with power/soft points, corelokts, Accubonds, and SST's and none exited and I recovered all of these deer. All of the above have passed through on ribcage shots. As always YMMV.

Thread starter #30
I pirated these pics and info from another forum, the shot was said to be 230 yards on a 2.5 to 3.5 year old MO whitetail buck

"the 300 win mag sent a 150 gn hornady SST into his shoulder. He was DRT.

Its not every day a 300 winchester mag won't pass through a white tail deer. Found this in the far shoulder as I was processing my buck. Those are some TOUGH animals."

That is a good looking mushroom.