Dams, is there a new attitude with regards to them?

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
I have watched over the past 10 or more years the Elwha River in Washington State as it is being reborn with, what until now, the largest dam removal project in history. It is fascinating to watch nature cure the problems we have created. The summer steelhead population was reborn and the bull trout have rebounded much more than most expected. Coho and King salmon are making a slow, but steady come back with sockeye, pink and chum beginning to reappear after what has been basically an absence.

The Elwha dam removal project is being replaced by the Klamath River dam removal project as the largest in history. This past week was a milestone in this particular project and by this time next year four dams on the river are expected to be removed opening up over 400 miles of spawning habitat. Dam removal is not a "pretty" scene, aside from the political fight involving it, the silt released can be offsetting to some, but silt is supposed to be moved by the river, and when you get, at times, nearly 100 years of silt built up in a reservoir, it can seem almost disastrous. The Elwha has shown us that it only lasts for a little while in the scope of things and where the river meets the ocean, the estuary is restored.

I know that dam removal can be a very hot political "potato" so to speak and I fall on the side of dam removal. I personally live on a reservoir formed by a dam on the Flint River, and I would love to see the dam gone even though my property value would decrease. For that matter I would love to see all the dams below Atlanta gone on the Chattahoochee and the Flint. They serve little purpose, and the reservoirs are filled with invasive plants and species of fish that have no business in this water shed. As reservoirs become filled with silt, they actually increase the severity of floods (just look at the 1994 and 1998 floods on the Flint) and the impact to the native species is just plain bad.

The ACF Basin has many unique species of mussels, invertebrates and fish that are disappearing at a rather rapid rate. The Gulf Strain Striped Bass, the Gulf Sturgeon and the Alabama Shad are just a few. Yeah, we like fishing in these reservoirs, but lets be honest, they have all largely passed their peak with regards to this, and I would rather catch a large striped bass of dozens of shoal bass a day than the invasive spotted bass or the lethargic largemouth that now inhabit these reservoirs. These reservoirs have become nutrient dumps overrun with invasive plants that do nothing other than warm the river up and deprive Apalachicola Bay of the sediments and seasonal flows it needs to recover.

I know many, if not most, will disagree, but I want to see the Flint filled with Alabama shad, watch sturgeon work their way past the shoals and see the river swamps fill again like they are supposed to do and take all the excess nutrients out of the rivers and feed it with the leaves and detritus that is largely missing now. I want to leave my grandchildren a better world so that they might be able to enjoy it like I did as a child. It has been said that rivers are the kidneys of the land, and with these dams, the kidneys are not working properly, and we all know what happens when the kidneys fail, the body follows suit.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Just think what kind of positive impact that would have on the Apalachicola oyster grounds. They've been damaged severely by reduced water flow over the past 50 years and more.

basshappy

BANNED
@redneck_billcollector I am a supporter of dam removal myself. Back home in Ohio after MANY YEARS we finally have been successful in removing many dams. Four along the Cuyahoga River have been removed with 2 more about to be removed. Water quality has dramatically improved as a result of dam removal.

If bored might read some at these two links. First one US the old Edison or Gorge Dam. Pretty cool structure in a gorge, but has to go. But first 90,000 truckloads of contaminated sediment have to be removed!

https://www.summitmetroparks.org/free-the-falls.aspx

This link talks about the different dams along the Cuyahoga River and their removal and slated removal.

https://www.ideastream.org/community/2019-04-26/the-unexpected-consequences-of-cuyahoga-river-dams

Thanks for the info and links . I am a pro water quality outdoorsman . As you may know the Cuyahoga River caught fire 13 times , the most famous in 1969 . The river fires made the evening news after the Vietnam updates , not good . This river and the issues are the background of creating the EPA.

menhadenman

Agree that there’s a lot of dams that need to go… but also quite a few that provide reliable/renewable energy. Something we need more of, especially since wind and solar isn’t capable of matching hydro and WW3 is at our doorstep.

One of the major problems is the insane politics and scores of inept government employees from overlapping entities guiding licensing under the FERC. Spend a few meetings with USFWS, USFS, USBR, NOAA, USGS, FERC, NPS, with a few tribes and additional state agencies sprinkled in for good measure and you’ll wonder how anything gets done. Along with some nonprofits like trout unlimited, wild fish conservancy, and American rivers, some angry land owners, cities, and a utility or two trying to keep everyone happy and it’s a real party.

All the fairy tail stuff like the Elwah is great, but most folks don’t know about the crazy lawsuits against NOAA and the tribes pumping the “free flowing natural system” slap full of hatchery fish.

A bit of a rant here but I worked in that arena for a while and the system is definitely as inefficient as it can be.

We’ll see how the Klamath shakes out but I’ve got $100 that says salmon won’t recover absent the large put and take hatchery programs that keep them on life support.

Folks want things to be like they were 200 years ago but that equation is no longer possible with 350 million people here and many genies that can’t be put back in the bottle.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think location is the key factor. On some of the western rivers, dams have certainly inflicted huge damage on runs of salmon, steelhead, and other fish. Some on the mainstem rivers of the southeast have done likewise with stripers, sturgeon, paddlefish, eels, and shad. But, in some areas, an artificial lake provides 1000x more biodiversity than what was there originally. Lots of birds and waterfowl depend on them. And, despite all the hype about solar and wind energy, hydroelectric remains the one sole efficient, cost-effective source of clean energy.