Dangerous cows

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I know a lot of men that have been seriously hurt by cows. Any time a 1000 to 1200 pound animal decides it wants you out of its way is dangerous.

as many cows as there are, and as many people mess with them, I am surprised there are not more killed each year

NOYDB

BANNED
They can be very easy going. I've shouldered a 1000+ milk cow out of the way because it wasn't "her" turn to be milked. I also knew to dodge if she decided she was going thru. Back in the day when I was pushing 80 lbs myself.

Starting around 4 am I was tasked with milking a small herd of around 60 head. Then we did it again around 3 pm. If the cows are used to you they can even be affectionate. They still weigh that much and it hurts like the dickens if one accidentally steps on you. You learn that when a critter out weighs you 10 to 1, you are the one that needs to get out of the way.

T-N-T

I have been kicked in the ribs by a cow.
I have not been kicked by a shark.

The above statistic has merit IMO

jrickman

You ain't lived until you've heard that "gallump gallump" across a pasture at 4 in the morning behind you. Had a ~400lb playful calf run me down while I was crossing a pasture on the way to a fishing spot. Shoved his nose in the small of my back and sent me, tackle box, and rods flying. Tackle box popped open and I took a roll through a bunch of treble hooks in shorts and a t-shirt.

But I think I'll take my chances with the cows, even still.

brunofishing

Used to work the auction over in Tomaston, had a cow or two get after me and that made me like steak even more... stupid cows..lol...!

SGADawg

I brought a n)ew bull calf, about 500#, home once. Kept him here at the house to grow up before putting him with the cows. I told the spousal unit not to mess with him. He looked so pitiful when she went to feed the horses that she started giving him some feed too. She had to walk through his pasture to get to the horses. After about a week, he started trying to get in her back pocket. I had to take over horse feeding until I moved him.

I've known a couple of folks that got killed by cows, came close to getting hurt bad or killed myself a couple of times. I'll still take cows over sharks because I can sorta read a cow's mood and intentions and I can see a cow coming.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Ask Bo$$ he knows everything about cows and such.

I have hurt myself trying to get out of their way. My cows follow me around like puppies, but my catch pen had a sturdy pole in it. If ones gets two wild, it gets a one way ticket to the auction barn.

GeorgiaBob

As a little kid, I never understood why adults would yell at me just for running though the middle of the big nice animals and ducking under cows and steers as my uncle walked his small herd up to the barn in the evening. As a teen, trying to force those stinking obnoxious, fly attracting, evil beasts up to my uncle's barn (during my thankfully brief summer visits), I wondered who would ever want to be within miles of those stinking cows. As an adult, I prefer my cow medium rare, one pound at a time, and served on a plate without the toe crunching hooves, the crowd of flies, or the cow patty stench.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stroker

Brood cows in a pasture are usually very docile, but the same cows can get ugly quick when your messing with their young. Take the same herd of docile cows and pen them up and start working an sorting them that's when things can go bad quickly, always have an escape route planned. No matter how tame you think he is, never turn your back on any bull. Like KYDawg said any wild /crazy one's get a one way ride to the sale barn.

PappyHoel

Sheep are much easier.

jbogg

I used to spend the month of August on my grandmothers small subsistence farm in Minnesota for several summers as a young teen in the mid 70s. Most of the equipment was 40 - 50 years old. I spent a lot of time swinging a hook and stacking bales on a hay wagon being towed behind a bailing machine, but my least favorite memories were of mucking out the barn with a flat blade shovel at 4AM with 40 head of Holsteins before the morning milking. Those cows looked real big to a 13 year old.