Day Hike Parking for Chatt. Nat. Forest?

PoultryMan

Hey Y'all,

As the weather warms up, my wife and I are wanting to do some more hiking in the Chattahoochee National Forest.

Last year we always parked and hiked in from the normal parking lots areas in the mountains. We encountered a lot of people and we now want to hike in other areas.

My wife has found several areas that she wants to hike, but there is no parking areas near them.

Are we allowed to pull off to the side of the road and park? Or are we likely to get a ticket or other problems?

mattuga

Banned
Hey Y'all,

As the weather warms up, my wife and I are wanting to do some more hiking in the Chattahoochee National Forest.

Last year we always parked and hiked in from the normal parking lots areas in the mountains. We encountered a lot of people and we now want to hike in other areas.

My wife has found several areas that she wants to hike, but there is no parking areas near them.

Are we allowed to pull off to the side of the road and park? Or are we likely to get a ticket or other problems?

If you are on a forest service road just don't block anyone's way. Specifically you'll get a ticket if you block a closed gate and a ranger happens by to see it. Pay attention to animal sign and you might find a new hunting spot on your hike.

westcobbdog

Get a map of the Chatt Nat Forest so you will know where exactly you can legally drive, park, hike, camp, fish, etc...try the Ranger office in Dahlonega or the Clarkesville office has them for sale.

Artfuldodger

I know they park along the highway Old US 441 for the trail to Panther Creek. This because the parking lot is small and gets full.

I did read make sure you pull completely off the pavement or you'll get towed. You would think people would know to do that.

I don't know about in general for State and US routes vs paved FS roads. Might could get some input from a hiking club that does a lot of day hiking.

greg_n_clayton

I know they park along the highway Old US 441 for the trail to Panther Creek. This because the parking lot is small and gets full.

I did read make sure you pull completely off the pavement or you'll get towed. You would think people would know to do that.

I don't know about in general for State and US routes vs paved FS roads. Might could get some input from a hiking club that does a lot of day hiking.

Are you sure you won't get a ticket for parking on the road at Panther Creek ?? I have known it to happen in the past. People avoiding the the parking fee in the parking area. Other wise, you can anywhere ya want on USFS roads as long as there is not "designated" parking areas. The trail system in these parts to the East is extensive ! Many not as publicised as some !! I have met and dropped folks off at a trail so they could hike to their vehicle along the trail in another area many times !