Debunking Da Vinci (Sermon series)

StriperAddict

From "Church of the Apostles":

Dr. Youssef will continue his series entitled Debunking Da Vinci, this Sunday. In the second part of this three-part series, he will systematically sort out fact from fiction, and true history from revisionist history. If you happened to miss the first sermon of the series, you can go to www.apostles.org and download the audio of the sermon or click on streaming video, click the video archive button on the viewer and watch last Sunday's sermon in its entirety. In addition, sermon notes from last week are posted on the website.

We urge you to DO WHAT IT TAKES to bring seekers and doubters alike with you to The Church of the Apostles on Sunday. Aside from equipping believers with the truth, this series could be a great opportunity to change many people’s lives and their eternal destiny.

The Church of The Apostles is located at:
3585 Northside Parkway, NW
Atlanta, Ga 30327

The church is located north of the intersection of Northside Parkway and West Paces Ferry Road. When traveling north on Interstate 75, exit at West Paces Ferry Road, exit #255. Turn left onto Northside Parkway and the church is approximately one-half mile on the right. When traveling south on Interstate 75, exit West Paces Ferry Road, turn left then immediately turn left onto Northside Parkway. The church is approximately one quarter of a mile on the right.

PWalls

I have heard Dr. Youssef preach on AFR. He is pretty good.

Also, I have a copy of that book that Josh McDowell authored about the truths behind the DaVinci Code. Shows the lies in the Davinci Code. Good read for anyone attempting to witness to people with questions based on the movie.

Double Barrel BB

Woodswalker said:
the book was marketed as fiction. never was sold or offered up as the truth.

the movie is a movie. nothing substantiated about it in a historical faction. Fiction. Nothing more, and most certainly, nothing less. :flag:

wasn't there a quote from the author at the first of the book that said something along these lines....

"If I was to write this book as fact I would not change a thing"

I am not sure. I have never even picked up the book and I know I will never see the movie. Just because I don't agree with how Jesus is portrayed as being married to Mary Magdelan and his descendents being the marvingion kings.....

To me that is belittling Christ and making him an ordinary man. When we all know(alteast us Christians) that he was God in human form.

DB BB

Double Barrel BB

Found this on Amazon.com:

Product Information from Our Customers
First edited by: Tom Arnold "A beach bum" (USA) on Nov 23, 2005
Last modified by: P. Hudson (Oakland, CA) on May 02, 2006

"The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown straddles the line between fact and fiction. It's an historical drama, based on a number of theories (e.g., those outlined in "Holy Blood, Holy Grail") which do not have wide acceptance among historians, theologians or archeologists. However the author appears to go out of his way to confuse this. For example, in the initial pages the author states: "all descriptions of artwork, architecture, documents and secret rituals in this novel are accurate." This is a misleading statement.

For example the Priory of Sion is considered by some to be a hoax (See entry on "Priory of Sion" at wikipedia.org). The author mentions 'Les Dossiers Secrets.' But his description is only accurate in the extremely narrow sense that such documents exist. The book treats those documents as if they are unquestionably real... They are not. They are forgeries created by Pierre Plantard, who has admitted to the deed. A Priory of Sion with Leonardo da Vinci as a member is not a fact, as Brown claims, but a fiction. To further force this point the author has stated on his website that some of the theories in his book have merit. When asked by an interviewer would the novel had been different if he had written it as non-fiction he said: "I don't think it would have. I began the research for The Da Vinci Code as a skeptic. I entirely expected, as I researched the book to disprove this (Jesus/Mary Magdalene/Grail) theory. And after numerous trips to Europe and about two years of research I really became a believer. I decided this theory makes more sense to me than what I learnt as a child."

These elements strongly suggest that Dan Brown either believes (or simply wishes to convey the impression) that this is more than a novel. Many people consider all of this a (rather successful) attempt to increase sales through controversy."

StriperAddict

PWalls said:
I have a copy of that book that Josh McDowell authored about the truths behind the DaVinci Code. Shows the lies in the Davinci Code. Good read for anyone attempting to witness to people with questions based on the movie.

Thanks for the tip...
:)

Double Barrel BB said:
To me that is belittling Christ and making him an ordinary man. When we all know(at least us Christians) that he was God in human form.
DB BB

Amen !!