December crappie hunting on Westpoint

Dialer

Where would be the best place to launch out of to find brush holding crappie? Looking at going on Monday depending on the weather. Will be using minnows. Thanks in advance!

tr21

I haven't been but will tell you from over 20yrs experience I would put in at GA boat ramp run up river to 219 bridge and troll jigs in the first cove on the right above the bridge. always had good luck in that cove, spent many days trolling in there after the bass stop biting

RamblinWreck

What/where is GA boat ramp?

dougfire

it is the first ramp south of hwy. 219 bridge, you can see on most maps. goes over Chat. river (west point lake)

tr21

yes. that's it. and the cove is maybe 200 yds above the bridge

RamblinWreck

Ah, I see it on google earth. Ga Rec Area. Guess they haven't updated the WP Info page map in a while...

Dialer

Thanks! I think I can find that ramp. Your saying to troll live minnows? Wouldn’t that turn into dragging dead minnows? Or do you mean troll with jigs? I apologize for the dumb questions. I’ve been watching YouTube videos on winter crappie fishing. I have 2 fish finders on my boat but all I ever see in Westpoint is a barren landscape with no “brush piles” like they show teeming with crappie about 20 feet down...Guess I’m looking for some of those brush piles...

Last edited:

gopray12

Thanks! I think I can find that ramp. Your saying to troll live minnows? Wouldn’t that turn into dragging dead minnows? Or do you mean troll with jigs? I apologize for the dumb questions. I’ve been watching YouTube videos on winter crappie fishing. I have 2 fish finders on my boat but all I ever see in Westpoint is a barren landscape with no “brush piles” like they show teeming with crappie about 20 feet down...Guess I’m looking for some of those brush piles...
There are plenty of brush piles out there, you just got to find them. A lot of guys put out Christmas trees this time of year so they know those spots. Good luck trying to get those guys to give up the locations on those spots.

Dialer

Caught 3, missed 2, all very small. Not sure how to read my Humminbird. Why bright areas and what are the tiny spots? Fish alarm never sounded...8BE574B1-68FB-4BD3-8CC4-562A3ED7ADB4.jpeg

Attachments

• 651E8D62-8BDD-40D3-A7C2-43EDA513D0EA.jpeg
    651E8D62-8BDD-40D3-A7C2-43EDA513D0EA.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 12

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
First...turn the fish alarm off and never touch it again.

As far as the graph, it is hard to tell, but I'd say you are probably seeing bait balls in that second picture. First picture could be scattered fish, but could be debris/trash feedback if you were in dirty water.

I'd also get a little deeper. Most of the crappie I have marked recently have been in the 18-26 ft range. They have been very tight to the bottom as well.

RamblinWreck

Totally agree with Dustin; that's exactly what depth I found 'um on Lanier yesterday.