Decisions on getting a new member ?

Bud Man

We have an opening in our club for the 2019 season. We have 8 total members all over 50yrs old . The question I have is how do other clubs decide who will be the replacement. We have 3 interested people to fill the vacancy. 1 is a local person with no additional family 50 yrs old. 1 is a28yr old father of 1 daughter and is self employed . The 3rd person is a brother of the founding member and has 3 boys and a daughter ,ages 12-17, was a previous member, only left the club due to relocating out west.
Each person in consideration for me could be beneficial and a down fall.
Just looking for options from other views.
Thanks

Offroadtek

Was there a waiting list? If so who was first?
That aside, who's in the best position to hold up their share of the burden, planting,maintaining camp?
Who's going to get along best with the other members?

Unless one of them has a tractor, then you should pick them. =)

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Sounds like one candidate has already left part of their soul on that land. I know I've hated to leave my sweat and blood behind in some circumstances.

Bud Man

Thanks for the replies.
I'm all for the previous member myself , great guy and family man , known him myself for 25 years
No I don't know the other 2 gentleman
The only concern I have with the previous member is how to control harvest results ? The first time he was in the club he only had 2 babies. With one paying membership and up to 5 persons could be hunting. We generally only harvest 3-4 Bucks per year and 20-25 does with 8 hunters on 2000 acres and have been able to have a great herd balance .

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Thanks for the replies.
I'm all for the previous member myself , great guy and family man , known him myself for 25 years
The only concern I have with the previous member is how to control harvest results ? The first time he was in the club he only had 2 babies. With one paying membership and up to 5 persons could be hunting. We generally only harvest 3-4 Bucks per year and 20-25 does with 8 hunters on 2000 acres and have been able to have a great herd balance .

2,000 acres is roughly 3 square miles. If you have a local population of 35 deer/sq mile that's 105 deer. If you're concerned about maintaining the population I'd cut back on the number of does you allow each member to kill and focus on bucks. If everybody is allowed the same number per family that's fair.

Silent Assassin

Thanks for the replies.
That part is easy. Each paying membership is 1 set of tags. It does not matter if it is a family of six or two, all deer come from the members total.

transfixer

That part is easy. Each paying membership is 1 set of tags. It does not matter if it is a family of six or two, all deer come from the members total.

^^^^^ This is what we do, in the past we have had a 5 deer per member limit, of which only three could be does, now we have a 3 deer per member limit, although not written in stone, everyone adheres to it, a member can bring their son, daughter, or spouse, but if they take one it comes off of the members limit.

treadwell

Albeit, they have three times the chance to get their limit. One person hunting is only covering one stand. Deer may not be moving around that stand, divide yourself into 3 parts, three stands, odds jump way up (triple) that at least one stand is gonna produce. Just saying.

patsam

i'd go with the younger one if it were me.My group is all over 60 and we need strong backs now more than ever. but only if he fits in and can get along. we're pretty tough on new people. took our last one bout 10 years to fit in!! just saying

Joe Brandon

Well if the one gentleman was a past member of the group and had a brother in the club that is a no brainier. That being said you may have to have a tough conversation with him about the kids. Maybe talk to his brother as to how to best approach it. Make the right call though because it could leave bad blood in your club with his brother still there.