Decoys or no Decoys?

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
I like to use decoys. It's nothing for me to put out 10 or 12. Nothing draws a gobbler like a flock of hens. I don't understand hunting without a decoy. Guys who hunt without them are missing out and at a serious disadvantage. If you don't use decoys, I'm willing to take you and show you how to use them

I wanna see you dragging them in the woods. lol You'll be worn out before you get out of sight of the truck.

MesquiteHeat

Its all about stroking their own ego. Nothing more, nothing less.
Its not satisfying enough to know for themselves that they did it in what they deem to be "the hard way".
They want you to be impressed with them too.

If the anti-decoy guys had started their own thread, beating their chest about how we/they don't need a decoy, and made proclamations about their killing prowess to impress other, if that was the case then your statement might have some validity. But because they simply answered someone else's question... I think not. Little insecure about your decoy bag?

WaltL1

If the anti-decoy guys had started their own thread, beating their chest about how we/they don't need a decoy, and made proclamations about their killing prowess to impress other, if that was the case then your statement might have some validity. But because they simply answered someone else's question... I think not. Little insecure about your decoy bag?
If you'll notice, I responded directly to the question as to why there is the whole "shame on you for using a decoy" thing.
As for being insecure about using a decoy -
Ive had them work for me, Ive had them work against me.
I use one less and less.
I rarely use one. Couldn't care less what anybody else thinks when I do. Couldn't care less if somebody uses one every time they hunt.
Good luck this season.

poisonarrow

All these guys using decoys because they aren't real hunters. They aren't tough enough. Heck, I don't even use a shotgun, that's too easy! I take out my pocket knife and cut their head off with a quick, ninja like, slice.

Just kidding.... Do it however you want as long as it is legal. Doesn't make you less of a hunter if you use them. Too many macho, mountain man, I aint no sissy, hunters out there these days. Just go out and have fun!

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor

Not at all. It's the way it's worded. "Even if it was good you would still be ashamed of it.":crazy:. I only see this coming from the no decoy crowd. Those who do use them seem to be the ones that don't care what other people do.

This is not isolated to turkey hunting or even hunting. Some people just have the need to try and belittle what somebody else does as a way to build themselves up.

There are folks who love to tell anybody who will listen that they only hunt with a bow and they get a real thrill out of telling people that hunting g with a gun isn't real hunting. And guess what? That isn't even good enough for some people. There are those who love to tell anybody who will listen that not only is hunting with a gun for people who don't know how to hunt, they will tell you that hunting with a compound bow isnt real hunting, you have to use a recurve to be a real hunter.

This is all nonsense of course that is spewed by people who aren't content to hunt the way they enjoy hunting. They have to let somebody else know that their way of hunting doesn't measure up to their lofty standards.

My opinion is unchanged. Hunt how you want to as long as it is legal and don't worry about what other people do. I will laugh at the no decoy tough guys while I carry my turkey out of the woods.:flag:

hrstille

I enjoy threads like this. I generally get a good laugh. A turkey I shoot with or without a decoy is still dead. I can kill them either way and have been for years. No chest beating here. I hunt to kill birds. I don't go out and mess around. Got to have your mind right if you want to tote limits year after year. To each his own. Me personally, I like actually killing birds no matter the style.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I enjoy threads like this. I generally get a good laugh. A turkey I shoot with or without a decoy is still dead. I can kill them either way and have been for years. No chest beating here. I hunt to kill birds. I don't go out and mess around. Got to have your mind right if you want to tote limits year after year. To each his own. Me personally, I like actually killing birds no matter the style.

:cool:Perfectly said!

blindhog

I have never killed a gobbler using one. I have tried them before.

Now..., I prefer the challenge to "Call'em Close" without any decoys.
You can do it!

hawglips

Banned
So I have turkey hunted a few times but never got into it like I have deer hunting. With that being said, I want to change that this yr. I follow a guy on youtube who has killed a good bit of turkey's but he never uses decoys. The only times I have turkey hunted I have used them every time. How many of y'all hunt without them?

I hunt without them.

I don't like the way it changes the nature of the game when decoys are involved.