Decoys or no Decoys?

DEERADICT

So I have turkey hunted a few times but never got into it like I have deer hunting. With that being said, I want to change that this yr. I follow a guy on youtube who has killed a good bit of turkey's but he never uses decoys. The only times I have turkey hunted I have used them every time. How many of y'all hunt without them?

KentuckyHeadhunter

I never never never use decoys. Period. They are absolutely not necessary if you learn how to turkey hunt. Welcome to the dark side.

whitetailfreak

Nothing against decoys, but I don't use em, and have never felt handicapped because of it.

Last edited:

six

I never use them. I think you will enjoy your time without them.

WaltL1

Ive had them work for me, Ive had them work against me.
I use one less and less.

grouperdawg

I use one less and less.

I gave them another shot a few years ago and had a bird screaming in for my son, he made it over the top of the hill locked eyes with the decoys , started putting and left. I decided It's not worth it and it's one extra thing to lug around. I might cover a lot of ground depending what the birds are doing.

If you get an old dominant bird and you can't get it to commit, a good pretty boy that he can see will bring him in. I prefer to do it without, but to each his own.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I use one less and less.

Me too.

I think they're more effective on virgin turkey hunting land.

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
My luck with hen decoys has been horrible. I think i've killed 3 using a jake decoy only. KMckinnie called one right into my lap using a hen decoy 2 years ago. That was my only successful hunt in the last 6 years using a hen deke. I usually leave all of them at home now.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I will use them on certain hunts. Most the time not. It’s what works for u.

DEERADICT

Thanks guys! I'm gonna give it a shot without them. I'll use that money saved on calls instead. How soon do y'all begin to scout for roosting birds? A week or so before season?

hrstille

Usually the week before opener. Turkeys move around a good bit so there's no need to go scout too early

Last edited:

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I almost always use them. For me it's the old, I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it, philosophy. There have been times I know that I wouldn't have gotten a turkey had I not had decoys out. And there have been times when I didn't have one out and it almost certainly would have made a difference. Can you kill a turkey without one? Sure. But why not get every legal advantage you can? Turkey hunting is tough enough with a decoy. Anyone who thinks it makes you less of a hunter, I just laugh at those people while I'm walking out of the woods with my turkey.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
If I use one it’s a full strut gobbler almost always in fields , and I’ve killed several with it , also had some turn and run , but it absolutely fires me up to see one run in and attack my decoy !

Swamprat

Swamprat
Hunting ag fields or clear cut edges I will use them.

Swamps, hardwoods, pines. Nope, have had more birds shy away from a decoy than become interested in it.

Oh yeah if you use them in a ag field make sure the wind is not blowing 20-30 mph, the decoy will look like it is tweaking on meth or you will watch it bounce and tumble across a 100 acre field. Been there....sucks having to trudge across a huge freshly plowed field to retrieve a decoy.

deast1988

Fields yes, woods no!

dhsnke

I usually always carry them with me but most of the times I don't need them. They are good to have with you if the situation to use them is right.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Hunting ag fields or clear cut edges I will use them.

Swamps, hardwoods, pines. Nope, have had more birds shy away from a decoy than become interested in it.

Oh yeah if you use them in a ag field make sure the wind is not blowing 20-30 mph, the decoy will look like it is tweaking on meth or you will watch it bounce and tumble across a 100 acre field. Been there....sucks having to trudge across a huge freshly plowed field to retrieve a decoy.

Fields yes, woods no!

What they said ^ but these days I carry dekes less and less.

matt79brown

All decoys are not created equal. I have some of the old ones and had same iffy success as those mentioned on here. Since the Avian X half strutter jake is out, its a whole different ball game. A good set up is everything though. Deke or no deke. If your using them on public ground you may want to stop by the army surplus store and pick you up a helmet and a shrapnel vest! It gets interesting when you spot a man stalking your decoy.