Deep Diving Copperheads

CAMO84

As far as the different colors this is also cause by the shedding process. Snakes skin will vary due to the age of their shedding from what I had seen in my past experiences. As far as the pupils you are correct the only problem I have always had is my vision isn't good enough to see from a far enough distance and they dont like you starring them in the eye up close they tend to bite.

Jasper

Nice pictures. All of the sudden, I can smell burning powder from a .410 shotshell! Must be my subliminal....

:rofl:

Jasper

little rascal;881955 check his eyes said:
:hair:

Good info here everyone!

SuthernStix

I been living around a lake for many years and I have seen many copperheads in the water and around the edges. They will dive under water, especially when they see you have a shotgun in hand. :shoot: A few didn't get away so quick. They don't have any problem diving under water. How far they can go I don't know. As far as they need to I would think.

tail_slider3d

To me the water snake looks more like a cottonmouth. I know cottonmouths are stubby in comparison but when they are wet and swimming its hard to tell. BUT the 20 gauge doesnt have a problem in the decision. If its swimming or around the water its dead.

panman

When i lived in Lake county FL.i killed many many copper heads and moccicens.Most of the time when fishing.The snakes get used to people fishing at sertian spots.youve seen it if you fish along side road ponds.The snakes wait for you to through a dead bait or sumtin,then they will slowly go and get it.When i went fishing i always carried a dubble barreled daranger loaded with rat shot,the one with the blue tip.The ones with the crimpted ends are a waist of time.Most of the time one shot did the trick,sometimes two.It still amazises me how fast that little shot in the casing kills them.With a good shot they,most of the time dont even move,it must be the shock.I used to keep the gun in my watch pocket sos i wouldnt have to move very much to get at it.Good way to get bit,washing your hands!!!.pan.[sorry for the long rant and spelling.]

Emmersom Biggens

Most folks dont realize that young copperheads and cottonmouths have tails that look like they were dipped in chartreuse dye, this can make really young ones easy to identify.

Attachments

• copperhead-juvenile-mid.jpg
    copperhead-juvenile-mid.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 3,419
  • cotton mouth pic.jpg
    cotton mouth pic.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 2,988

Lostoutlaw

:rofl: :rofl: He! He! he ain't gonna tell U. But he froze'em then did it!!!!!:rofl: :rofl: ::ke:

Dub

Nice pictures. All of the sudden, I can smell burning powder from a .410 shotshell! Must be my subliminal....

Yup....sure are some well camoed devils. Not nearly enough bullets to make a difference.:shoot: :shoot: :shoot:

Rich Kaminski

Young Cotton Mouths look a lot like Copperheads. If you don't take the time to study them, you can easily mistake one for the other.
The Cottom Mouth looks like it is floating on top of the water when it swims. Only the head of the copperhead is above the water when it is swimming.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
That is right. Juveniles have canary yellow tips.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Long ago...

Back in eastern KY we used to sein for crawdads for bait in the small creeks. MY Grandpa and Dad would walk along the road or trail next to the creek with a mining light shined down for us to see what was in our sein. I was about 13 when my cousin and I lifted up the sein one night and there was a fat ole copperhead striking wildly at the net.

Yes it was a Copperhead, we slung that sein up out of that creek and it landed all tangled in the dirt road. My Grandpa killed the snake with a flat rock. We looked at it, including the fangs. I wasn't very eager to get back in that creek again ankle to knee deep water in the dark.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Moccasin and cottonmouth same thing?? I have seen a moccasin with a small bream in its mouth lying on a stump in a creek.

Rem270

Copperheads don't dive, they do however swim on the surface when needed. What was in your trap was either a banded or brown water snake. All snakes have what's called cryptic coloration. Most non-venomous snakes mimic more dangerous species to keep predators from bothering them. Unfortunately that doesn't work with hunters, you are just as content to shoot all snakes, especially if they look dangerous. Most narodians, water snakes, have similar coloration that mimics that of cotton mouths. The banding also resembles copper heads, but as already mentioned copper heads are much lighter in color. Oh, and only juvenile copper heads have yellow tails, juvenile cotton mouths are brownish in color with dark black bands like banded and brown water snakes but have a dark black tip instead of yellow. Once they grow to maturity, normally no longer than 4 foot, but with fat, stumpy bodies, they get very dark in color, almost solid black but with hints of their banding. As a college graduate of biology I try to lean on the side of conservation. I can understand someone disposing of one around the house where their are small children and pets. Out in the wild however, we should let them be. They are here for a reason.