Deer Ages

jcdona

Pulled the jawbone's out tonight.The first is 3.5 and the 2nd is 2.5.

Attachments

• DSCF0347.jpg
    DSCF0347.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 525
  • DSCF0222.jpg
    DSCF0222.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 527

jcdona

Me too. But I was very surprised when I got a look at the teeth. I knew that the second one was younger but thought he was 3. No going back now.

I would have guessed 5 and 3! That first buck has a belly on him, protruding chest, big shoulders, shorter looking legs... What in the world? haha

BassHunter25

Are you talking about the bigger deer in second pic or smaller? I thought the big deer were the same in both pics?

TurkeyDreamer

I shot a good buck a few years ago and took the antlers and the jawbone to the truck buck scoring. I had photos of the deer as a very nice 10 point from three years prior. With that and his body, I am confident that he was at least 3.5 and possibly 4.5 at that time. So, when I killed him he was at least 6.5 possibly 7.5.

The biologist, after looking at his jawbone, said he was 2.5 to 3.5. That’s when I lost confidence in aging based solely on the jawbone. (And no, the habitat the deer was taken is typical middle Georgia habitat so that shouldn’t play a big factor in scoring a typical Georgia deer)

BassHunter25

I shot a good buck a few years ago and took the antlers and the jawbone to the truck buck scoring. I had photos of the deer as a very nice 10 point from three years prior. With that and his body, I am confident that he was at least 3.5 and possibly 4.5 at that time. So, when I killed him he was at least 6.5 possibly 7.5.

The biologist, after looking at his jawbone, said he was 2.5 to 3.5. That’s when I lost confidence in aging based solely on the jawbone. (And no, the habitat the deer was taken is typical middle Georgia habitat so that shouldn’t play a big factor in scoring a typical Georgia deer)

Guy at our club killed one we had on cam for four years then had someone age the jaw bone at 3.5.
A few weeks ago my son and I both killed bucks. Neither had been on trail cam. My deer was was 175 his was 150. My deer looked like it had been through a war his looked like it was raised in a pen. Taxidermist said mine was 6.5 which I wasn't surprised. He said my sons was 5.5 which was shocking. Though my sons bucks rack scored one inch bigger than mine.

ucfireman

I wonder if feeding and plots are throwing kinks into aging by teeth. Meaning that if a deer is eating lots of plots/ Soft forage and softer pellets does it make his teeth not wear as much. Making his teeth look younger than he is? I wonder if any biologists have looked into this? Maybe something they can study at UGA or Auburn?