Deer baiting during turkey season

HavocLover

When feeding deer during turkey season what’s the differentiator to “ensure” you didn’t intend it for turkey. It being in a trough feeder as opposed to on the ground?

Swamprat

Swamprat
We have one feeder we run all year....we do not even turkey hunt close to it. 300 yards might be the closest we get. For the most part birds are using elsewhere on the property anyway. Not like they are flying down from the swamp roost and busting tail to get to the feeder on the hill in the middle of the property..

Lately though hogs have been camping out on it. We might just shut it down to get them to move along to the next property with feeders and spread out corn.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Why is it always deer bait and not hog bait?

livetohunt

I am anti baiting, but what is the difference between hunting deer over bait and turkey over bait? Stupid law.

howboutthemdawgs

I am anti baiting, but what is the difference between hunting deer over bait and turkey over bait? Stupid law.

Exactly. And while the state is pandering to the lowest common denominator when it comes to hunting ability, why is spotlighting illegal on private property? At some point nothing should be out of bounds as long all hunters can experience 100% success because apparently that is the goal.

Bucaramus

Baiting and feeding are two completely different things. We feed year round too. But don't Turkey hunt anywhere near the feeders.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !

hikingthehills

Per GA DNR! If you own 500 acres you can't even put corn on 1 acre of it.

Just remember that even in areas where hunting deer over bait is legal, no where in Georgia can you hunt turkeys on property that is baited.

NCMTNHunter

I mix salt with the corn that I put out on my neighbors place then I put my strutter in a mud puddle on my place :bounce:

280bst

Exactly. And while the state is pandering to the lowest common denominator when it comes to hunting ability, why is spotlighting illegal on private property? At some point nothing should be out of bounds as long all hunters can experience 100% success because apparently that is the goal.
Pandering to the lowest common denominator, that's special sorta like "a basket of Deplorables" judging people because they may choose to bait and you may not. That's if you or anyone defines baiting as throwing out corn. It is my belief we All bait sexual attractions, minerals, food plot's man made food plots aren't natural. I don't put out corn or have feeders still do it the ole fashion way but I don't elevate myself above somebody that chooses too.

Possum

Banned
They need to legalize turkey baiting in the northern zone for a few years first just for entertainment value

Tideup

Per GA DNR! If you own 500 acres you can't even put corn on 1 acre of it.

Just remember that even in areas where hunting deer over bait is legal, no where in Georgia can you hunt turkeys on property that is baited.
Our local DNR ranger said it was okay as long as you were over 200 yards and out of line of sight and not intercepting the turkeys going to the feeder.