Deer Hunting 101...Questions and Answers

Scotty G

I have always used the moon for the rut not the ammount of daylight in a day. For as many of you know sth Ga. tends to rut around thanksgiving or should I say mid november depending on the full moon. I'll ask again,:with the full moon in Nov. being the 13th and the full moon in Dec. being the 12th, when is the rut in south Georgia? Think about this a little before answering the question. The moon justifies the rut not the ammount of daylight in a day. Always hunt the 3/4 moon.

First off, I don't appreciate the "tone" in your reply. For every ten articles stating the rut is triggered by the moon, I'll give ten more that state it starts with the amount of daylight and the weather. This is not science but merely speculation and history that we go by. To say one's wrong without evidence to back that up is foolish and rude. I personally think you are wrong but I won't be a horses rear about it. Leave your attitude at the door. Some people in here are trying to help one another so do us all a favor and LOOK IT UP or FIGURE IT OUT YOURSELF.

Scotty G

Furthermore...
During the time of the study the second full moon after the fall equinox occurred from as early as Oct. 25 to as late as Nov. 22; it occurred most frequently during the last week of October and the second week of November. If the peak breeding moon hypothesis are correct (peak breeding occurs 5-7 days after the full moon or, 5-7 days before the new moon), then peak breeding (over the course of the 8 -year study) should have occurred during the week of Nov. 5; and the peak should have lasted for three weeks. But, it didn't! It occurred during the week of Nov. 12, and it lasted for one week. This graph shows no correlation between peak breeding and any lunar phase. It is conclusive evidence that the moon hypothesis don't hold up

Slug-Gunner

The 'obvious' answer....

What will the affect be of someone seeding our lease with moth balls?

NO MOTHS!

Actually, it may have a 'short term' affect since it will be a NEW, STRANGE SMELL to the deer and they may avoid the area.... or be especially wary when passing through the 'seeded' area. After a few weeks or after a good rain, the affect should diminish some. If it's only in a certain area then someone may have been trying to get the deer to avoid that area and travel through an adjoining area they have stands set up in (????).
:huh: :whip: :whip:

Have you had any 'disgruntled' ex-members lately (or 'disputes' between members) or someone who got 'penalized' for violating club/lease rules? If not, you may want to contact DNR Enforcement to report possible "Hunter Harassment Law" violations.... that way you will have more grounds for prosecution if you find someone tresspassing on your lease later - hunting or otherwise.

Slug-Gunner

Last edited:

aflake1

I have a question about WMA hunting. Can you hunt any day during firearms season for deer or is it only on specified days? The confusion comes from regs written like this...

Firearms (Buck only & bear - either sex deer last day) Nov. 25-29; check-in

What does this mean? I feel dumb asking but I want to understand the rules to avoid doing something wrong

Slug-Gunner

WMA Hunting....

I have a question about WMA hunting. Can you hunt any day during firearms season for deer or is it only on specified days? The confusion comes from regs written like this...

Firearms (Buck only & bear - either sex deer last day) Nov. 25-29; check-in

What does this mean? I feel dumb asking but I want to understand the rules to avoid doing something wrong

First thing, EACH WMA HAS DIFFERENT HUNTING DATES AND TYPES OF HUNTS.

You will need to go to the back of the 2008-2009 Hunting Regs and look up the different WMA's you wish to hunt for the specified hunts available and what 'restrictions' or dates apply to that hunt. Some have a 'general' hunting period with only 'check-in' required for the initial day you start hunting. Others are 'special hunts' (like the one you give an example of) which are open only during the specified dates given (in your case - starts on Nov 25 and ENDS on Nov 29 with 'check-in' required on the first day you hunt [some allow 'check-in' the day/evening before the first day - call WMA for details]). On the last day, Nov 29, you may take either sex (for deer), but on Nov 25-28 it is 'BUCK ONLY'. If this is a 'special hunt' and you take a deer, it must be checked in at the DNR check point where DNR will weigh and age/measure it.... often, these deer taken DO NOT count against your "Annual Harvest Record" and a 'Special Tag' will be attached to your deer by the DNR personnel on duty there.

But to answer your original question more specifically, NO you may not hunt on many WMAs during the general open season for deer UNLESS THAT WMA HAS A GENERAL 'OPEN SEASON' PERIOD LISTED IN THE BACK OF THE CURRENT REGS. Additionally be sure you are using the CORRECT WEAPON for the season specified for that WMA as they may be different.

NOTE:
If you are unsure/unclear of the 'restrictions' for a WMA hunt, call the DNR main HQ or district office for that WMA and talk to a DNR supervisor for clarification of the 'restrictions' that may apply. These phone numbers are listed in your current hunting regs. Write down the name of that person and date/time of your call.

Slug-Gunner

Last edited:

aflake1

Thanks, I appreciate the response for helping me out. I guess I'll just call the district office and double check everything after I check my regs.

AUB.270

fustrated hunter

Question. Been hunting on a freinds farm. Having trouble seeing deer. have 2 stands in the woods next to a peanut field. have seen alot of tracks on the edge of the field. I guess they were feeding on the peanut leafes. The peanuts have been pulled up now. Should I stay in the woods now that the peanuts are gone or should I move a stand on the edge of the field? May be a stupid question but im not that experienced of a Hunter. Please help. Starting to get fustrated. Havnt seen a deer yet and I know there alot there and have put alot of time and effort into this season. thanks for any advice.

walton fire

Stay there. but try hunting in the middle of the day. Usually from dark till 10:30 a.m. then head back about 12:30 or 1:00 p.m. till dark. The longer your their the better chance you will have.

Scotty G

Came across this today and made me think of Elmer.

"The rut occurs at the same time nationwide.

There is no correlation between weather and rut. Nor is there one with regard to the moon.

Here are the proven facts. Bucks begin to rut and want to mate when Does begin their estrus cycle.

A doe begins her cycle, and starts putting out pheromones when the days get shorter. A less and less light passes through a Doe's eyes, it sends them into their cycle.

I recall a test from a university many years ago where 3 species of deer, White tail, Black tail, and Mule Deer, were placed in an indoor environment. As the testers controlled how much daylight entered the building, the deer were fooled by getting short days in July. This sent the Doe's into their cycle, and the bucks began to rut.

Also the tests showed how in November, artificial light sustained long days, and there was no rut in October and November.

This is fact. The shorter days of Autumn bring on the Rut, and it is the same time everywhere in the continental US. The Rut begins around the 2nd week of November, and runs until the 1st week in December. Its Peak is around the 3rd and 4th week in November.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting."

Buckhunter

1) If a buck busts you climbing a tree how long should you avoid that area/tree?

2) If said deer busts you around his scrapes and rubs will he continue or abandon and create more?

3) what is the lowest power yet effective binoculars you need if your furthest shot will be 100 yds?

4) Do young white oaks drop their acorns at the same time as mature ones?

Scotty G

Don't want to see this thread die like it has so here are some tips, regarding rubs, I found a while back that work VERY well.

When I was younger I was told rub lines and scrape lines are the place to be when bow hunting. I'll leave the scrapes to another forum member and I'll talk about rub lines. Years went by and I killed a few bucks hunting rub lines. However, as time went by I learned that even if I was hunting a rub line that was full of 10 inch tree's rubbed to shreads, I wasn't seeing the big buck that made those rubs. Instead, I'd end up seeing smaller bucks that happened to use the same area as a travel route. This led me to really research these rubs to find a better way of reading them and apply what I learn to possition my self for a shot at the monster that made the rubs to bigin with. I found that most of these huge rub's were actually "Sign Post" rubs that were generally made at night. They usually showed up in heavy travel areas for two reasons. One, to mark this mature bucks property which let other bucks know that if you enter this area, you're entering at your own risk and may very well get your tail kicked. Secondly, it was a way to let the does know that this is where they want to come to meet the biggest baddest breeder in town. Countless times while hunting over these "sign post" rubs, I watched does come up to these rubs and smell, lick, and even rub their heads against these rubbed up trees.

So just seeing these big rubs in the woods doesn't mean you should plant a stand right next to that rub. What I do is "carefully" scout the area so that I don't push this buck out of his core area, because you'll need to gather some additional information before you can out smart him. I use a map of the area I am hunting and I mark up the map with these sign post rubs. Ten out of ten times, I find a pattern that tells me where this buck is spending most of his daytime hours. They seem to mark the outter edges of where they spend alot of time. Almost creating an "invisible fense" around this "core" area. Mark up your map with these rubs and draw lines between the rubs and you will find a triangle 6 out of 10 times. Why... I honestly don't know? It may be just coincidenses? But regardless of the shape, you will find a core area in the middle of this fense of rubs.

Hone your attention to these areas and locate prime bedding areas, their location to food and water, where doe bedding areas are outside the core area. Once you mark these locations, STAY out of the bedding areas in the core area early in the season. The more you spread your sent around that place, the less likely your going to slip an arrow between his ribs. Instead, hunt wisely. Early in the year just after these rubs show up, find key areas within this core area that offer lots of mast browse between the bedding area and the farm fields. White oak flats within this area can be lethal to mature bucks that haven't felt much hunting pressure. As the pre-rut comes into play in your area, start setting up between the area you believe he is bedding in, and doe bedding areas outside his core area. The need to breed is starting to focus his attention on checking his does. Setting up between these areas will be your best chance to intercept him. Once the rut comes in... All bets are off!LOL, When the chacing faze has started, I get right into his bed room well before day break and wait for him to slip in to take a snooze. I hunt this time of year, from before sun up until dark. If the wind isn't right, I'll abandon his bedroom and set up in the does bedding area. But quite honestly, when the rut heats up, he can be anywhere!

Scotty G

More...
Maybe I was a lucky study but early on I found out that perching myself over a food source and waiting on a mature buck was a long game that ended up with me impatiently shooting a doe or a lesserbuck more often than not. Truth is , 19 days out of 20 throughout the majority of the season that mature deer isnt available to the food source hunter.

I lucked up on a buck in his bedding area and after two blown attempts finally nailed his butt while laying in his bed. Short of a few breif minutes in the am and the same in the pm that buck was in that hole during the remainder of daylight hours.Not as persistant about security does and younger deer tend to linger longer and provide more daytime opportunities , but none the less when you add the minutes up you'll find that 90 % of their time during daylight is spent in the thick.

Moving into the thickets to hunt immediately poses a slew of problems. One your effective viewing area is greatly reduced. Two you most definately have closed the distance gap by hundreds of yards and this means close encounter hunting.Three you cant just amble in anytime , you have to beat the deer there or have an approach that gets you in without being heard seen or smelled.All these things add up to one thing, you have to be a better woodsman .

Reading sign and understanding daytime to nightime trails entry and exits, swirling winds, breeding stages and feeding stages , doe trails / buck trails , primary and secondary trails , escape paths and travel paths and why all of these are used on any particular day.Next thing a hunter has to swallow is your deer sightings are going to decrease dramatically. No longer are you in the great wide open where every white ear and tail can be seen. More often than not its a flick of an ear and crack of a twig or a slinking splotch of grey is all you get.Ive gone days without seeing a whole deer or even having the slightest chance for a shot ,yet knew without question several dozen had been closer than 50 yards. But the bonus is coming right around the bend.

When you hunt in a deers living area on that day that they leave on your target trail system, you see the whole darn bunch of them. Big small buck and doe, all at ease in their lowest sense of alertness. This is where they feel comfortable and make mistakes day in and day out that cost can them their lives . I know big bucks that I would bet a grand will never be killed outside of the rut by a stand hunter anywhere but in the thickets. Simply put when they do leave their security they stay on such
high alert and so tight to cover you wont see em and these opportunities a very far and few between.

Just look around at the local hunters and the truth is easy to see. Theres a half dozen guys that killed a big one this season and indeed it was the buck of a liferime or decade at the very least. They got lucky and witnessed a rare mistake by an older deer. Its no wonder why the rut gets so much publicity and anticipation , its the only time during the seaon your likely to see an older buck move from his security and make a mistake. Theres just to many non rut days in the season to bank all my effort and patience on that.

But, look around again and take note of the men that kill big mature bucks year in year out, these hunters usually have learned as I have to hunt mature bucks where they live 90 % of the time not 10 % of the time. They have realized that in order to even get a chance you have to get to where hes comfortable and likely to show himself.Short of a very few folks I know who have tremndous mature herd to hunt on very quiet private land most all the regular big buck killers are hunting the thick.

All this however requires tremendous dedication , heightened woods awareness and preparedness ,superb scouting, perfection in wind reading ,and patience of a snail . The payoffs are big and the hunts exciting. It was hunting this way that also rekindled my bowhunting spirit. My buddies said heck John your always hunting where you cant shoot 30 yards anyhow what do you need a rifle for? The really great part for me is while 80 percent of the hunters I know are waiting for the chance to even get a glimpse of a mature buck in the great wide open, I have seen him very close a half dozen times and just havent had the right shot yet.

My tip in a nutshell .... hunt where the deer live 90 % of their lives hunt the thickets.

Scent Free

More...
Maybe I was a lucky study but early on I found out that perching myself over a food source and waiting on a mature buck was a long game that ended up with me impatiently shooting a doe or a lesserbuck more often than not. Truth is , 19 days out of 20 throughout the majority of the season that mature deer isnt available to the food source hunter.

I lucked up on a buck in his bedding area and after two blown attempts finally nailed his butt while laying in his bed. Short of a few breif minutes in the am and the same in the pm that buck was in that hole during the remainder of daylight hours.Not as persistant about security does and younger deer tend to linger longer and provide more daytime opportunities , but none the less when you add the minutes up you'll find that 90 % of their time during daylight is spent in the thick.

Moving into the thickets to hunt immediately poses a slew of problems. One your effective viewing area is greatly reduced. Two you most definately have closed the distance gap by hundreds of yards and this means close encounter hunting.Three you cant just amble in anytime , you have to beat the deer there or have an approach that gets you in without being heard seen or smelled.All these things add up to one thing, you have to be a better woodsman .

Reading sign and understanding daytime to nightime trails entry and exits, swirling winds, breeding stages and feeding stages , doe trails / buck trails , primary and secondary trails , escape paths and travel paths and why all of these are used on any particular day.Next thing a hunter has to swallow is your deer sightings are going to decrease dramatically. No longer are you in the great wide open where every white ear and tail can be seen. More often than not its a flick of an ear and crack of a twig or a slinking splotch of grey is all you get.Ive gone days without seeing a whole deer or even having the slightest chance for a shot ,yet knew without question several dozen had been closer than 50 yards. But the bonus is coming right around the bend.

When you hunt in a deers living area on that day that they leave on your target trail system, you see the whole darn bunch of them. Big small buck and doe, all at ease in their lowest sense of alertness. This is where they feel comfortable and make mistakes day in and day out that cost can them their lives . I know big bucks that I would bet a grand will never be killed outside of the rut by a stand hunter anywhere but in the thickets. Simply put when they do leave their security they stay on such
high alert and so tight to cover you wont see em and these opportunities a very far and few between.

Just look around at the local hunters and the truth is easy to see. Theres a half dozen guys that killed a big one this season and indeed it was the buck of a liferime or decade at the very least. They got lucky and witnessed a rare mistake by an older deer. Its no wonder why the rut gets so much publicity and anticipation , its the only time during the seaon your likely to see an older buck move from his security and make a mistake. Theres just to many non rut days in the season to bank all my effort and patience on that.

But, look around again and take note of the men that kill big mature bucks year in year out, these hunters usually have learned as I have to hunt mature bucks where they live 90 % of the time not 10 % of the time. They have realized that in order to even get a chance you have to get to where hes comfortable and likely to show himself.Short of a very few folks I know who have tremndous mature herd to hunt on very quiet private land most all the regular big buck killers are hunting the thick.

All this however requires tremendous dedication , heightened woods awareness and preparedness ,superb scouting, perfection in wind reading ,and patience of a snail . The payoffs are big and the hunts exciting. It was hunting this way that also rekindled my bowhunting spirit. My buddies said heck John your always hunting where you cant shoot 30 yards anyhow what do you need a rifle for? The really great part for me is while 80 percent of the hunters I know are waiting for the chance to even get a glimpse of a mature buck in the great wide open, I have seen him very close a half dozen times and just havent had the right shot yet.

My tip in a nutshell .... hunt where the deer live 90 % of their lives hunt the thickets.

Well said

Scent Free

Came across this today and made me think of Elmer.

"The rut occurs at the same time nationwide.

There is no correlation between weather and rut. Nor is there one with regard to the moon.

Here are the proven facts. Bucks begin to rut and want to mate when Does begin their estrus cycle.

A doe begins her cycle, and starts putting out pheromones when the days get shorter. A less and less light passes through a Doe's eyes, it sends them into their cycle.

I recall a test from a university many years ago where 3 species of deer, White tail, Black tail, and Mule Deer, were placed in an indoor environment. As the testers controlled how much daylight entered the building, the deer were fooled by getting short days in July. This sent the Doe's into their cycle, and the bucks began to rut.

Also the tests showed how in November, artificial light sustained long days, and there was no rut in October and November.

This is fact. The shorter days of Autumn bring on the Rut, and it is the same time everywhere in the continental US. The Rut begins around the 2nd week of November, and runs until the 1st week in December. Its Peak is around the 3rd and 4th week in November.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting."

I'm going to have to disagree. The rut in Alabama is almost 6 to 7 weeks later than in Ga. I have never had it explained to me in a way I understood why. But that is a fact.

BowtechRedneck

The rut

Usually after the first good frost in the winter I come home for work everyday waiting impatently till the girlfriend starts having mood swings and cramps then I run out the door heading right to my stand :) This time in Central Ga usually falls about mid-late Nov

BowtechRedneck

Does any one auctually see deer in the rain ?

Does any one auctually see deer in the rain ?
I have set in my bowstand in light rain all day and the rain seemed not to effect the movement of the deer but they did seem more alert and cautious:offtopic:.I believe if it wasnt for the rut we wouldnt even be able to hunt the darn smart son of a guns.Once I watched three does moving in close to my stand.the one leading would stop and watch while the other two would advance eating acorns then after they walked every 10-15 yards one of the two would stop and watch while the does in the back caught up and swaped watch again each having there turn they did this the whole time untill they where out of site.I was shocked at what I was seeing I totally forgot that I was there to shoot one but just sit there instead in astonishment just injoying what I had just witnessed and thanking god for such beautiful creations while Praying that some big stud muffen was hot on there trail :) I can Honestly say I didnt bring home the trophy that day but it turned out to be one of my best hunts I ever had.Becoming a bowhunter has made me smarter better and most of all patient If you can still pull a bow back I reconmend giving it a try.We all know an 8 year old can shot a deer 250 yards off:bounce: